Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I thought you lost pride by drinking Miller Lite.
I could see it as a hipster thing. Like drinking PBR. I think that's why they went back to the old can.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-19-2015 at 04:06 AM.
05-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

I think American-style lagers still have their place as session beers. It's kinda hard to sit at a bar or restaurants with friends and have several IPAs and still want to function. If you try to watch a race or ball game of some kind or whatever, but the time you're done you'll be pretty lit up if you've been drinking craft stuff. It's becoming an arms race to see who can make the strongest or highest ABV beverage, and that's not always the best way to enjoy social drinking. I don't always wanna blow my shoes off.
05-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't even drink beer, but I am impressed that the original photographer who was approached actually went "whaaa?" when the ad agency intern revealed the image use was for a non-FB advertisement. Her first response (before they revealed just how the image would be used) was much more "oh yay, free links from a big brand on FB" and as an veteran of the ad industry (the 90's, before "social media") I just cringed knowing they were ripping her off and covering their butts with the whole DOB and full name. No contract, no fee, and the equivalent to a signature allowing perpetual license. Just OMFG!!

(BTW, pretty much all beer tastes like liquid bread to me, and I can't make a sandwich with that. I'll stick to vodka and bourbon, thanks!)
05-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
Does that law prohibit the display of photos of people enjoying alcoholic beverages?

It's not actually a law, more like self regulation as the companies decided to not show consumption in ads. I think that also means photos.

---------- Post added 05-19-15 at 04:15 PM ----------

I drink craft brews or imports. I will maybe drink a Bud or Miller if I'm at a NASCAR race because that's all you can get. The mega brews use either corn or rice as fillers and the beer taste awful. I drink beer for the taste, not to get high. Can't beat a good Double Bock from a craft brewery, or a Trappist Ale form one of the Belgium Monasteries.

05-19-2015, 11:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I thought miller light was one of the many beers (?) that get foisted on the Bristish public from over seas that no one in the country of origin ever drinks, if it is even available there, and here you are talking about it , albeit in a not very complimentary way.
We also have had a huge growth in the number of small craft brewery beers available here.
What Contributed to the original down fall of local breweries was the advent of vehicle transport. In the old days you could only deliver to a radius that a waggon and horses could cover in a day.
Once lorries could deliver further it all started to change.
What is interesting is the resurgence of public demand for non bland get it any where brands.
05-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I could see it as a hipster thing. Like drinking PBR. I think that's why they went back to the old can.
I was just saying that Miller Lite is bad beer.
05-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #22

Just a note: Craft brews can't compete with the biggies. SAB owns many beer companies abroad and in the US. As a matter of fact SAB has NEVER operated in the RED in over 100 years. SAB allows the subsidiaries to manage and spend (according to their directives) on advertising, which includes free beer (or cheap discounts) to certain functions like the Rock & Roll Concert Series (all part of advertising). Miller-Coors (in Trenton, OH) currently makes 26 brands. The top selling beers are Miller Lite and Coors Light. But there are many others, including Blue Moon Belgian White, Coors Banquet, Foster's, Henry Weinhard's, Icehouse, Keystone, Leinenkugel's, Killian's Irish Red, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller High Life, Milwaukee’s Best, Molson, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Pilsner Urquell, Red Dog, Chill and many more. The photographers just need to talk to the right person. How do I know this? I retired from Trenton's plant in 2010 and still get to buy beer from their beer store. The most expensive beer only cost me....$ ??? can't tell ya it's a perk. So when you drink a beer it just might be a Miller-Coors product. Mmmm good!!
05-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This happened to me just recently actually. On of the big cat food companies, I won't say which not important, saw a cat photo of mine on a stock site and offered me a case of cat food a month for exclusive usage in perpetuity. I suppose I should be grateful they offered that, snort, but needless to say I turned them down and said "No, thanks." because my usage fees for said photo were clearly stated as was the fact that I will not agree to exclusive usage. They then offered me $500 outright to buy the photo, again exclusive usage, and they admitted they wanted to use it in a cat calendar, on cards, and in print ads for their cat food. Again, I said "No thanks." They countered with an ad for $1000 but again, exclusive.

I finally emailed them back the politer equivalent of WTF? I basically asked them why they thought they could just buy the exclusive rights to MY photo forever so easily and why they kept asking when my photo stats clearly said I would not agree to that. They responded that any number of fans of the brand would have given them the photo for free, flattered to be asked. I responded I wasn't a fan, wouldn't feed my cats that food, and that I was a professional photographer who expected to own her own work and license it as needed, not just have it be owned by someone else. They didn't respond after that but I did get an email from the stock site asking me why I didn't want to deal with them. I gather they'd complained that I'd turned them down. I told the site guy and he was like "How arrogant of them." and that was that. It's a good photo but they must have wanted it pretty badly to go that far I think. They were very rude and clearly did not want to take "no" for an answer...

05-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I don't understand why anyone thinks it would be necessary to ask before sharing something you found on Facebook to somewhere else on Facebook (and extra puzzling is why you'd think they'd need your date of birth). If you put a picture on FB of someone using some product, imo it's implicitly fair game for that company to hit that 'share' button and send it to their page. Why else would you post it to a website that has these built in share features?

(note- I'm just talking about the FB 'share' button, not copying a picture from FB to put on your own website, or copying it to put some half-witty text on, or copying it and re-uploading to FB or anywhere else in any other way, especially if it's stripping links back to the original source)
05-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
not copying a picture from FB to put on your own website
This is exactly what is happening, except replace "website" with "television".
05-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disord3r Quote
This is exactly what is happening, except replace "website" with "television".
Yes, I know, I wasn't saying otherwise.

I don't understand why they would have thought anyone needed to ask to share a facebook post somewhere else on facebook (both in this specific case and as a general pondering)... In other words, it seems pretty obvious from the get-go that the beer people wanted to use it somewhere else, and probably for something that should involve monetary compensation.
05-22-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I cannot drink Miller beer at all. For some reason, it gives me massive headaches. Other beers don't but Miller does. And I have been known to down a six pack or so of beer a year. Sometimes two six packs in that period.