Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think part of the problem is that a really nice camera is no longer an "aspiration possession" for many people. Cell phone pics are good enough for many, and with digital filters a person can personalize their pics. Cell phone photos have essentially become an extension of daily conversation, and DSLR's (and M4/3) doesn't fit that lifestyle narrative. And with the plethora of camera choices available, a person who considers buying a DSLR will become befuddled by all the choices, and decide to get a new iPhone (or whatever) instead.

06-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
I love the choices and my K-3 but I'm curious where you live that has a camera store that carries that expansive Pentax product line - I can't find anything close from the Pentax lineup in my camera stores and I live in Dallas.TX
Well, the store I am referencing is the only Pentax distributer in this country (Slovenia), so they carry quite a good selection in their main store, but not much Pentax gear can be found elsewhere. Meanwhile, Canikon entry level stuff is available in many electronics stores.

And it seems that most replies in this thread agree that the market is.. well, a mess
06-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's not only a mess, it's a hot mess.
06-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, the store I am referencing is the only Pentax distributer in this country (Slovenia), so they carry quite a good selection in their main store, but not much Pentax gear can be found elsewhere. Meanwhile, Canikon entry level stuff is available in many electronics stores.

And it seems that most replies in this thread agree that the market is.. well, a mess
Canon and Nikon has already dominated and appeal to the mass, and in recent years, Sony provided much of the third option to appeal to the public. It will indeed be a mess if Pentax and other manufacturers trying to do the same. I think Pentax, Fuji, Olympus are more into the niche market rather than the average consumers.

06-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are at an inflection point in the evolution of digital cameras. This means that for the market to grow again, a new disruptive camera technology must appear. The situation of the Pentax brand is different because a full frame was not released in the previous years , which means that Pentax still has a relay for triggering sales to their relatively small customer base. Canon and Nikon already had full frame cameras for a while but have a larger market share so the way their trigger sales is by introducing cheaper full frame bodies. The challenge for Pentax will be to compete with Canon/Nikon full frame offerings.
06-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The issue isn't saturation, it is over production. A camera company's goal is to have every current generation camera sold by the time the sequel comes out. Ricoh hasn't had as much issue with this over production as Canon and Nikon have. Having too many cameras that are a generation or two old that are still in shops tends to decrease sales of current gear.
06-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In this difficult time, will Pentax mount survive?
06-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think part of the problem is that a really nice camera is no longer an "aspiration possession" for many people. Cell phone pics are good enough for many, and with digital filters a person can personalize their pics. Cell phone photos have essentially become an extension of daily conversation. . .
That reminds me: I wandered through the local Wal-Mart Super Center yesterday, and I glanced at the electronics department just to see what brands of compact cameras they have now. And the answer was. . . None. They no longer have any cameras. They do have plenty of shelf space devoted to phones, and phone cases, and phone chargers, etc.

06-11-2015, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
We are at an inflection point in the evolution of digital cameras. This means that for the market to grow again, a new disruptive camera technology must appear. The situation of the Pentax brand is different because a full frame was not released in the previous years , which means that Pentax still has a relay for triggering sales to their relatively small customer base. Canon and Nikon already had full frame cameras for a while but have a larger market share so the way their trigger sales is by introducing cheaper full frame bodies. The challenge for Pentax will be to compete with Canon/Nikon full frame offerings.
The inflection point happened seven years ago. It was called the iPhone. Everything since then has been fallout from this.
06-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How is the market for countries in Africa, the Middle East, and South America? I imagine the market would still be pretty ripe there compared to North America, Europe, and Asia. Maybe all those colors, bodies, and lenses are going there instead of to my local store.
06-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not?

To me, it is the bigger companies that are locked into high production volumes that struggle being nimble in these times. I don't see Ricoh having a lot of issues with overproduction that these other companies have. Better to be more conservative in your estimates (like with the 645Z) and have to increase production to meet demand than to have cameras sitting around on shelves years after they were released, waiting to be sold.
06-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Haven't you heard? PENTAX IS DOOMED!!
06-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A) Saturated Yes ... Think of it as a flood !
B) There is always room for improvement ( More pixels - better anti-shake - more functionality )
C) He who fills more needs - sells more cameras !
06-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Three million cameras are being shipped each month in 2015 (see CIPA figures). The market appears to be big enough to sustain a range of Pentax models.
06-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Reputedly the 645Z is a big success and is making money. The upcoming full-frame camera should keep interest alive in K-mount.

The Q system needs to get out of the doldrums. The Q-S1 was disappointing (basically a Q7 that's been beat on with the Ugly Stick), and where's that telephoto macro lens that's been on the roadmap for so long?