Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera market saturated?

I'm just wondering. A local store here has the following cameras in stock: K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3II. In various colours and bundles. And also the Q lineup, 645Z, and some (Ricoh) compacts, but these are a separate market.
Is that too many cameras for the Pentax lineup? Will they manage to sell all of them? Especially if you add Canon, Nikon, Sony cameras.. there are just so many different models, with similar functions and price ranges. Is the DSLR camera market getting saturated? Would it make more sense to just sell two models - one for beginners and one for pros? It just seems the whole market is on steroids, new models coming out all the time, but will they sell?

06-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The market is semi saturated but the real problem is a lack of jobs and a crappy economy.
06-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The bean-counters at Ricoh know what they are doing.
06-11-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People like choices.
Too many choices causes buyer paralysis

Not enough models or shelf space indicates a brand that is weak or not determined to be a player
Too many models confuses buyers and indicates a brand with no focus or left over stock that is not selling

Not enough information confuses people and they do not buy
Too much information confuses people and they do not buy

Getting it right is not easy.

06-11-2015, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Personally, I have a K20D, two K-5s, a K-01 and a K-3 an Optoo W90, 5 film 35mm SLRS, one MF camera, a Sigma DP2. My house is camera saturated. As for the market, if everyone were like me, the manufacturers wouldn't sell another camera for a couple of years.
06-11-2015, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The market is semi saturated but the real problem is a lack of jobs and a crappy economy.
Hmmm. Guess we are reading/hearing two different news reports.
06-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well the K-50 and K-3 that they have is just discontinued items stock, so once that sells what they'll offer K-S1, K-S2 and K-3II, plus the Q7/Q-S1. Which is a nice compact lineup but it will have one more camera added by the end of the year

You can't factor in discontinued models.

06-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Human beings are like crows- we like to collect bits a pieces of shiny things to deposit in our nests. New cameras are shiny even if the finish is flat black.
06-11-2015, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The entire photo industry is over saturated. Product life cycles are getting shorter and shorter, and there are fewer true innovations and fewer things to improve upon. Look at Canon, they've got the Rebel T4i, the T5i (the T4i with a mode dial that spins 360), and the T6i in their current lineup (or at least still in distribution channels). How many entry level bodies does a company need?

Camera companies try to "keep up with the Jones's", but what that leads to is over saturation. All the while the market is being eroded by smart phones, and photographers can't make a living because some college freshman fine arts major is willing to give away her images (oversaturated by the way) taken on her T5i just to see them published. The industry is in a bad way. If every camera manufacturer made an agreement with each other that they would abide by a two year life cycle on all of their product lines, things might improve, but that's never going to happen.

At least we have a full frame coming; something new.
06-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Camera market saturated?

I love the choices and my K-3 but I'm curious where you live that has a camera store that carries that expansive Pentax product line - I can't find anything close from the Pentax lineup in my camera stores and I live in Dallas.TX
06-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
new models coming out all the time, but will they sell?
The camera makers obviously don't know or they would not be throwing so many models on the market. Sony was throwing 3-4 different model on the market at a time trying to figure out what people wanted. It looks like they have figured things out an are now down to just a couple. Fuji is probably cutting the XE line to thin it down to 3 models.

Its how companies get feedback on what the market wants. A market is supply driven.
06-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't know about the industry but I'm pretty sure that my camera cabinet is over-saturated.
06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Hmmm. Guess we are reading/hearing two different news reports.
Probably so. I can't help the willfully ignorant or those who believe their own propaganda.
06-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
i don't know about the industry but i'm pretty sure that my camera cabinet is over-saturated.
never!
06-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Canon & Nikon have way too many camera's out there, especially their APSC cameras.