Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bait-and-switch selling used lenses?

I tried to sell my 1-year old lenses to a certain popular store in NYC whose name begins and ends with the same letter. I was given an estimate last week over the phone of ~$180, final quote to be based on the actual condition of the lenses, so I mailed those in. However today I called them up and they said the lenses are in great condition but offered only $40 stating they are overstocked on those items. (Pentax 18-55mm WR, Pentax 50-200mm WR, Tamron 70-300mm, B+W UV filter). Would the status of used inventory change that quickly? It feels like a bait-and-switch to me.

I wanted the Pentax 55-300mm WR and was going to use the proceeds from the above trade to partially fund the LBA. Is it worth trying with another popular NYC store whose name is next in the alphabet? Or is the used market for these lenses really that overstocked?

06-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
I tried to sell my 1-year old lenses to a certain popular store in NYC whose name begins and ends with the same letter. I was given an estimate last week over the phone of ~$180, final quote to be based on the actual condition of the lenses, so I mailed those in. However today I called them up and they said the lenses are in great condition but offered only $40 stating they are overstocked on those items. (Pentax 18-55mm WR, Pentax 50-200mm WR, Tamron 70-300mm, B+W UV filter). Would the status of used inventory change that quickly? It feels like a bait-and-switch to me.

I wanted the Pentax 55-300mm WR and was going to use the proceeds from the above trade to partially fund the LBA. Is it worth trying with another popular NYC store whose name is next in the alphabet? Or is the used market for these lenses really that overstocked?
You're always going to get more money by selling privately. That's what I'd recommend, especially since we have a very captive audience here Alternatively, a place like KEH.com that specializes in used gear would also be a good place to look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The lenses you've mentioned are all run-of-the-mill kit lenses (or in the case of the Tamron, the equivalent), and you'll find that there will be plenty in the used market. As said, you'll get more selling privately, but they're not worth that much, so probably worth more to you keeping them.
06-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Pentax 18-55mm WR, Pentax 50-200mm WR, Tamron 70-300mm, B+W UV filter
Well, $180 is a little high for these two DA lenses (dunno about Tamron), 40 is much more realistic. You might get more if you are patient.
Now, about the two different quotes.. yes, it does sound kind of silly, like getting people to send them lenses with a good offer, and then offering much less once the lenses are there, because most users won't demand the lenses back and compensation for the shipping. I would be angry as well. But you still won't get 180 for the DA L 18-55mm.
It could just be an honest mistake, that the person who gave the original quote looked up some prices of the items sold separately, as new, or the latest WR version and gave an offer that it a little too high.

Btw, this is why so many people just keep the kit lenses. You won't get much for them, but they give you a comfortable zoom range and WR. Other WR lenses cost much more.

06-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not going to debate the value of the lenses, but if said company offered $180 for the lens, and the condition was as described, they should honor the commitment. Mailing the lenses wasn't free, and you don't know they won't get lost or damaged in the return shipment. If they're overstocked with these lenses, they never should have made the offer. When I tried to sell gear to KEH, there were 2 items they were overstocked on and they were upfront with me and didn't waste my time or money. This is what said company should've done.
06-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That's exactly the issue. They offered $180 without mentioning there could be circumstances where they'd offer less. That's fraud in my opinion.
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to clarify, the estimate was $180 for all 4 items combined (3 lenses and 1 filter, and the filter is actually only a month old). They sent me a pre-paid shipping label. I now refused the quote and they are shipping it to me at their own expense. So all-in-all I won't be losing anything in shipping costs, but hopefully them items will be packed properly on their way back.

I thought it was shitty that they didn't tell me last week when I called about the overstock situation. For now I will likely just keep the items.

And somehow rationalize buying the 55-300mm now without any trade-in cash, maybe....or not....or maybe.

06-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm actually thinking of taking couple 18-55s etc. into Henry's just to see if i can cover my tax. The thing is, I don't need them, and they're just hanging around. If they give me 20 bucks I'll be happy. Guess it depends on your perspective. Although I'm putting together an ad for some gear, and I'm thinking those 18-55s might be a nice throw in to help sell some camera bodies.
06-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
normhead - seems like that would be a good deal for your customers.

As Adam suggested, I'll probably sell them here at some point after I receive them.

Thanks all, for your suggestions and allowing me to vent !!
06-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a poor showing on their part. It's hard to believe their inventory changed so drastically in a week that they couldn't honour their original quote.

I'd consider firing off a letter to their customer support about your poor experience. If this is inline with their policy then their policy stinks and they need feedback on it. If it's not and procedures weren't followed then I'm sure they'd like to know about it.
06-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think the quote KEH gives you when you mail them in is good pending only that the condition is as stated. (Overstocked items won't even appear on the list -- they have an automated system for most lenses.) Still, you can definitely do a lot better selling privately here or on ebay...
06-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess would be that they quoted you the original price without first checking inventory, as in 'this is what we normally pay for that lens in good condition.' I don't think it's necessarily a bait and switch, but you should definitely try to find a better offer. If you need a quick turn around, maybe KEH will buy it if the NY stores don't.
06-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yup, I'll write to them once I get my lenses back (so that I can efficiently consolidate all the yelling if the lenses are damaged too).

Don't be surprised if these lenses show up in the forum here!
06-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

$180 would make more sense for all three lenses as they would still make money on them. $40 seems absurd for all three. Were they only offering you $40 for all three, each is worth at least $40 (18-55 WR) and a little more for the others. You will definitely sell them for more on the forum. If they have a lot of inventory, as they claim (and they probably do), check out their used prices for each lens and post each for less here on the forum (to accommodate for lack of warranty and returns, etc).
06-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was $40 for all 3 lenses and one filter combined. I couldn't believe it so I asked again "for all the items combined?". He responded "yeah, all of them total $40, sorry. We are overstocked on all of those".

(The filter is a nice one, by the way - like $25).

Will be posting them for sale here soon.