Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wedding Tips

Two friends asked me to photograph their wedding next year. I take photos for our softball team, so they're VERY familiar with my work and we know each other fairly well. But I haven't photographed a wedding in ten years (literally, since July 2005.)

I have no idea what type of wedding photos are en vogue, what poses people expect, and so forth.

They are two of the most easy-going people I know and consistently like the photos I take of them, so I am confident they will be easy to work with. And I'm not worried about my gear -- K-3 and some FA Limited lenses. And, no, I won't be doing it for free (even though I would be willing to) because I don't want to devalue what professional wedding photographers do for a living.

All that aside, what I am most concerned about is getting a list of the typical wedding poses. Also, the reception is at a country club, so there will be a mix of indoor and outdoor photography. Am I likely to need fill flash lighting for outside?

07-30-2015, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I have no idea what type of wedding photos are en vogue, what poses people expect, and so forth.
Is that so important? Go with the flow. Be original. They are friends, you know them. Make them have fun, capture their moments in a "candid" style. They'll love them.
Personally, I don't like 90% of what top photographers do, simply because those shots (posed ones) have nothing to do with a wedding. They are useless, no matter how beautiful the images may be. I am referring to those shots that seems more appropriate for dresses and accessories catalogues/advertisement than the weddings. One thing I really hate to see is pictures of brides or grooms by themselves posing. It's a WEDDING and so the keyword should be TOGETHER, unless is to portrait some moments of the ceremony/event.

Another example of non-sense pictures...

It looks like they are thinking it over again. How the hell photographers can come up with such posing ideas, only God knows.

They are two of the most easy-going people I know and consistently like the photos I take of them, so I am confident they will be easy to work with.
Ask them if there are some shots they have in mind they would like to have for their wedding and do it. Easier

And, no, I won't be doing it for free (even though I would be willing to) because I don't want to devalue what professional wedding photographers do for a living.
The money they will pay will allow you to invest in assistants and lighting. If you can afford it, rent banks, strobe lights, reflective panels and hire an assistant.
I don't think doing a work for friends for free will devaluate pros.

Also, the reception is at a country club, so there will be a mix of indoor and outdoor photography. Am I likely to need fill flash lighting for outside?
Beautiful. Lucky you! Yes you always need fill-in lighting, even in cloudy sky condition, if you want super duper results (post processing can make you achieve great results but not as good as if you will use proper lighting, off-camera of course.

Anyway, I like real things and things that make sense so I would always look for picutres that in the end tell the story of the wedding and love, of course.

I would never hire Jason Lanier as my wedding photographer because as good as his images may look like, they just doesn't make any WEDDING sense

Good luck! I hope you will share some pics of that wedding with us.
Gabriele
07-30-2015, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Have a second photographer with you. My wife does the stuffy posing shots and I take shots between the poses... the candid smiles, relaxed look. Most people want posed shots but what will set yours apart will be the candid ones.
Just my opinion. BTW my wife does the posed shots because I hate them
Probably be a good idea to mount a flash in case you get stuck with harsh back lighting. I put the flash about 3/4 of a stop less then full output to give the face a more natural look

Good luck!!

Randy
07-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
Is that so important? Go with the flow. Be original. They are friends, you know them. Make them have fun, capture their moments in a "candid" style. They'll love them.
I decided today, largely from your reply, that I'm doing it. Really, I want to do it, but I was just really scared and bought into my own idea that wedding photographs have to be programmed, staged, and extravagant. I want to shoot their wedding for them. I'm out shooting our softball games every week because I want to do it and like spending time with my friends. Thank you, I needed some help getting my head straight.

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I put the flash about 3/4 of a stop less then full output to give the face a more natural look
Thank you. That's a huge help, too. I need to experiment with daylight fill flash. Typically, for daylight shoots, I use film, and I expose for the face and let the background go over. Kind of like these:

QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
The money they will pay will allow you to invest in assistants and lighting.
It'll also cover my travel and hotel costs since the wedding is in Fresno and I live outside San Francisco!

07-30-2015, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

David, taking people shots outdoor does not have to be like that as you have shown in your examples -against bright sunny background, which is one of the toughest to shoot. As a photographer, you should be able to move around people and take the photo from the best angle you chose. Here is a sample photo I took while I was at this wedding not as an official photog, but rather as a guest and a bystander so I can be free to seek and savour the moment. They were there, but you just have to look for it.

By the way, good luck, just be yourself and do your best. Hope everything turns out good.
Also, as Randy suggested, see if you can get a second shooter to ensure the event is covered in more areas and details.
06-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

Hi mate! How did it go? You didn't post any pictures of the wedding!