4 15.56%
5   00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
As a wedding photographer, you should be asking $12,000 because everybody knows wedding photography is such a brutal task and business.

Here are a few articles on the business of Wedding Photography:
PetaPixel - Photography and Camera News, Reviews, and Inspiration
Even though I feel I can easily fit the list of requirements listed in the article, I definitely can say I am not into wedding photography, simply because I believe there is too much bull involved. I never liked weddings. I breath fake stuff all around. Non wanted guests invited because... many reasons..., guests who don't give a damn who goes just to eat and do networking... i can't stand it.

But I like to do it for friends, for people with tight budget... 20-30 guests... sort and sweet, real deals between real people.

Thanks for the link!

---------- Post added 08-04-15 at 03:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Ah. Well, just goes to show you, everyone is different!
Do you like this version better?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/gabrielecripezzi/3Rq86f

---------- Post added 08-04-15 at 03:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Every one , except the bride , who has spent 2000 on a dress another 2000 on bridesmaids, 1000 on a cake, 15k on the venues and the rest then realises she had to get a photographer and has no money left.
After 20 years of them , deciding last year "no more" is such a relief.
Good luck for the future young man.
BTW, where are the formals and the groups? Or did they not want or you not post?
lol

Yeah I guess that is why I don't like weddings. I never worked in anything in my life that I looked forward to put an end to it. I hope you made millions! Do you have a portfolio online. Link?

There are no pics of entire group of guests. I didn't even think about it. I guess the shot list is one of the things I will have to make for the next wedding job, if any will come.

I learned from you guys here few things I didn't know. "Shot list" is the most important one. I just didn't bother on this set of pics because of the little budget involved but there are few pictures Ill need to work on in PP more to make it part of my portfolio.

Last edited by igabc; 08-04-2015 at 03:43 PM.
08-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
Even though I feel I can easily feet the list of requirements listed in the article, I definitely can say I am not into wedding photography, simply because I believe there is too much bull involved. I never liked weddings. I breath fake stuff all around. Non wanted guests invited because... many reasons..., guests who don't give a damn who goes just to eat and do networking... i can't stand it..
I don't know... the most of eating guests pics are not flattering, imo. And again, tight frames, a lot of them.Try to expand using someone's wedding templates before you set your own, and find your own style. I mean, search wedding pictures and notice how the best wedding pros work, and what FL they use. It does help.
Anyway, I will check my own smart butt advice next month as a guest with the camera.
08-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

836, 859, 980 stand out on a quick run through as good images.

The postprocessing to me looks a little off and a lot of times isn't very flattering to the person being pictured. I found I got nicer skintones by removing a bit of orange and adding a bit of blue or cyan for my K30, your results may vary.

The portraits of the bride looked very rushed and she looks uncomfortable. Were you bouncing a flash, and manual or ttl? Either way the lighting doesn't look balanced.

Overall it looks like you wandered around the ceremony and reception taking snap shots of people eating or makin funny faces mid conversation. You weren't engaging the subjects, probably because you were too far away since your widest lens only went to 35mm. Be annoying, get close and personal.

Treat yourself the next time you do something like this and rent a DA*50-135 f2.8 for the ceremony and something wide for the reception or after party. Da*16-50, DA 21mm limited or a 20-40mm limited. Set it to f4 and 1/160s, ISO at 400 or 800, and light with your bounced flash.

And yes, have a shot list. Even if it's just a basic list of 10-15 poses and group photos that you know the bride (or the mothers!) will want. Wedding party together and separate, bride and grooms parent reactions during the ceremony, placing the rings, first kiss, first dance, cake cutting, etc. it doesn't matter how much they're paying for it, you still get to be professional and render services. It'll also keep you focused and on track instead of just snap shotting.

Last edited by skierd; 08-05-2015 at 12:49 PM.
08-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
They asked for candid style shots.
The ceremony didn't last enough to get all those pics you suggested, which I agree, they are a must when parents are there, which was joy the case here.

Thanks for your inputs skierd!

08-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
@igabc, you're a brave, brave man. I'm not sure I could've done what you did. For that, you have my respect. Especially in reading through how you stuck with it despite the personal pain, I'm impressed by the effort put in.

However, as you've realized, sometimes our effort isn't good enough because we didn't think or plan ahead about what we're trying to accomplish. This is the situation I find myself in more and more as I try to get better captures during the events and groups that I shoot. I rush in instead of stopping for a moment to consider what's really needed.

Thankfully, our community is fantastic and supportive. Through your photos, I've learned a few things, so that when I do get tasked to shoot a wedding, I'll not be as cringing as I fear now.

While I mention stopping to consider above, I do find slowing down my trigger finger and thinking about how scene feels in the camera has me improving the captures despite not getting as many shots.

Good luck!
08-06-2015, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
I do find slowing down my trigger finger and thinking about how scene feels in the camera has me improving the captures despite not getting as many shots.
this is a very helpful advice, I'm working on it now myself, slow down and value quality over quantity ^^