Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photographic Style Fads in Pro Shooting

For many years, in the days of film, there was an emphasis on saturation, probably because the films that came before Velvia were not as saturated. With this new tool, photographers went into a new realm. It turned out to be a fad. However today, especially in the magazine world, the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction and swung so far as to be the next fad. The under saturated, un-polarized look is all the rage now. Skies are white and greens are surreal. Neither of these styles will last but something in between might. Those of us older shooters will have our work rejected by the 30 something crowd as it is considered dated to them because it does not fit the current fad. I would love to see pro shooters come back down to reality and reject both ends of the stylistic spectrum that are fads and join the middle ground; a middle ground that will stand the test of time.

08-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Differentiation is the key to getting noticed or remarked. What everyone is doing is normal and blase so to stand out you have to run with the fad, or better yet create your own if you are good enough, fast enough and well known enough. When your image lands on a desk with 500 others what makes it stand out? Not a big fan of washed out, faded, cross processed, aqua looks but if that is what sells?

One nice thing with digital is you can make normal, over-saturated, under-saturated, cross-processed, sepia and B&W versions in a veritable blink of an eye.
08-02-2015, 01:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am definitely hoping the washed out ring-light or similarly lit portrait is a short lived fad. I can see some artistic vision in the variations around in many types of photography but that one has to go.
08-02-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As an amateur photographer, I (we) have the privilege of being able to chose the look we like the most, even on a per-image basis.
I'm not a fan of "grunge" and "selective color effects", but I do use the occasional bleach bypass (from scratch, not a pre-cooked effect) on a picture in a thousand.
I also noticed that the uglier a pic is (out of focus, blurred etc.) the better it gets with grunge effects! A new way to save that good but technically terrible shot... or to mask your ineptitude and your cellphone's limits in other cases...

Saturation and desaturation both have their places... using only one or the other IMHO is like having a painter's palette full of colors and using only the yellow(s) or the red(s).

08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a Pro, it all boils down to what the client (or stock photo agency) is willing to pay for. I personally stick to the FAST approach as much as possible, because you can always apply artifacts to a good image later. And, yes, I keep some less technically perfect images to post-improve them later. But, if a client asks me for some fad, I go with the flow (just because they pay).
08-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
is like having a painter's palette full of colors and using only the yellow(s) or the red(s).
Agree totally-- Pro shooters should be given the artistic latitude to capture images the way they feel is best to represent it. Editors all too often follow current trends and don't empower their shooters.

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
But, if a client asks me for some fad, I go with the flow (just because they pay).
Yeah, I have resisted doing that, feeling that after 33 years of shooting, I should know what is best photographically.
08-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I often wonder what my photo teacher in college would say about the new trend. in class he would cringe over 'flat' images. I am no pro, I just enter stuff in competition and I see that style there too. I was taught it was not a style, its an error in printing and needs to be corrected, like dust spots and scratches. but someone must like it because I see it everywhere. it does remind me off the old photos of my youth, so I guess it is a remembering of simpler times. I would hate for my wedding photos to be in that style though.