Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wordpress blogs. How do they work?

I've had a Wordpress blog for about four years. I wasn't very serious about it and only had five or six posts about my various creative endeavors. The other day I decided to start posting more photographs and started getting lots of likes and a few followers. I guess using tags properly has allowed the site to make better recommendations. Is there not enough photography there? Is Wordpress just helping my ego so I'll buy more services? I don't think my images are spectacular and believe non-photographers generally are not very critical(should I be capitalizing on this?). I use photographer loosely and don't consider myself a photographer but a creative person(artist?Ya right) who dabbles in photography. What is your experience with Photo blogs? How is traffic driven to posts? I guess its in wordpress's best interest to have a more interactive environment. I've been sharing a little on G+ groups and Flckr but have had the most interaction on wordpress, why is this? Is it diversity of interests?

Not sure if I'm asking this in the correct section of the forum but I guess blogs are used to promote one's photography. Moderator feel free to move it if necessary.

08-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

I've used Blogspot for over 11 years, I have found that photos seem to attract about a third of the visitors. The best combination for me is two or three photos, with unique descriptive text for each one. I also tag them in my photo service (Picasa) as well, I get some people there but I can't tell if they are through the blog or through the tags. You need to post regularly, and you also have to interact with other bloggers (via comments.) It is gratifying if you can make connections with others, although the rise of social media has diminished the effectiveness of Blogging in general. There is just so much competing information! Wordpress is pretty cool, there seems to be a strong sense of community there, which may explain the uptick of interest in your blog.
08-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I've used Blogspot for over 11 years, I have found that photos seem to attract about a third of the visitors. The best combination for me is two or three photos, with unique descriptive text for each one. I also tag them in my photo service (Picasa) as well, I get some people there but I can't tell if they are through the blog or through the tags. You need to post regularly, and you also have to interact with other bloggers (via comments.) It is gratifying if you can make connections with others, although the rise of social media has diminished the effectiveness of Blogging in general. There is just so much competing information! Wordpress is pretty cool, there seems to be a strong sense of community there, which may explain the uptick of interest in your blog.
"Blog early, blog often" is a mantra I've heard. "Early" because people check things when they wake up. "Often" well because we like it fresh, and early means something else everywhere else. Thanks.
08-06-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure Ben, I thought i posted good stuff on mine, but am virtually ignored
I guess i'm doing it wrong

08-06-2015, 10:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5

I've built my own wordpress blog and have built commercial wordpress sites. I suspect some of it could be sophisticated spam. You need to check and make sure you have the Amismet plugin activated and up to date. Some spam is pretty sophisticated in its ability to post to content of posts. Amismet will pretty much Insure that any comments are real humans. At least that has been my experience.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 10:23 PM ----------

Sorry, I thought you were getting comments. Sounds like you may have a wordpress.com account/blog? I don't know as much about those but would not be surprised if wordpress directed traffic your way in hopes of getting you to expand into other paid services.
08-07-2015, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have been running a Wordpress blog site for years with few followers, lots of comment but mostly clever and not so cleverly composed junk. I second the advice about Asimet it a very good plugin and gets rid of the rubbish.
My site is here. Country Studio Photography - Country Studio Portrait and Corporate Photography
08-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You can also expect other bloggers to "like" or "follow" your blog in the hopes that you'll return the favour to make one big "likefest".
08-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
You can also expect other bloggers to "like" or "follow" your blog in the hopes that you'll return the favour to make one big "likefest".
Ya, I get that part. I don't mind, I haven't run into any zealous attention deficient types yet.