Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

promoting/getting your name out there

So Im working on getting into the professional photography market with my work.
Im in need of tips for getting my work out there for people to see. Flickr and other big sites like that don't give any exposure Due to amount of content.

Do have bis cards that I has out.
Ive also been doing work for friends. So Ive been spreading ny Word of mouth and locally. But it is not really bring in any photoshots or work (other then a few wrestling events).
what would be so recommended way in improving my marketing/promotions?

what about instagram? Is that any better then the other photo sites for getting views If properly run?

Im looking for mostly portrait work and stuff like that. As i dont really enjoy shooting large crowds.

08-13-2015, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a good product to sell, it will speak for itself, and you will get clients. In today's social network, "likes" often times means nothing more than just a lip service which is cheap. Do you have a specific service (or product) that potential customers may like/want? If you don't, what's the purpose of promoting or getting your name out there?

Sorry, I didn't see that you want to do portrait work... do you have a good portfolio of portrait work that you would be proud to present to potential customers?
08-13-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
instagram wont really bring in business unless you have a good to sell, my friend has a vintage store that gets most of her business from instagram, but she has a physical product she mentions. I try to sell fine art photography and I have never had a sale from it, so it mostly just added name recognition, especially if you enter competitions within instagram or tag with places that show your work. I use it heavily, but I would never consider it for increasing a business such as portraits. it is strictly a fun thing to do and you have to see it as that, and not even worry about likes or comments.

I know that people advertise services on facebook through local area/city groups. I dont know how well that works as someone recently asked for recommendations on a family photographer and 37 photographers answered within 20 minutes. but that is a free source of advertising.

15 years ago, I did business cards for a friend and put a black and white full bleed photo on the card. that photo got me a lot of inquiries about my photography, because it was not as common to see that. I was stupid though and told everyone I was not a professional and just did it for fun (why??? one of the stupidest things I have done) but I think a good unusual business card showing off your work would be great start.
08-13-2015, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
Do have bis cards that I has out.
Ive also been doing work for friends. So Ive been spreading ny Word of mouth and locally. But it is not really bring in any photoshots or work (other then a few wrestling events).
what about instagram? Is that any better then the other photo sites for getting views If properly run?
You want advice? OK here is a harsh reality.
Stop speaking AOL, spell out what you mean.
Do have bis cards that I has out. -> I do have business cards to hand out. - Clear, maybe not "cool" or "hip" but people will at least not have to decipher what you mean.
Ive -> I have
ny -> by
ph
photoshots -> photographs or images
Is that any better then the other photo sites for getting views If properly run? -> Just what the heck are you talking about?

Even the spell checker on this site flags your spelling errors. As for your grammar, syntax and content, well, your education is lacking or English is not your first language. If you expect to get clients, learn to act in a professional manner. I have my doubts whether or not parents would let you in the room with their teenagers or themselves if you come across as a inarticulate hipster.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

08-13-2015, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

If you enjoy photography as a hobby, perhaps reconsider. The shoe maker's kids have no shoes kind of a thing. Photography is not very fun when you have whining clients not happy with something about their look in the photo. People are most picky of pictures of themselves.
08-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
You want advice? OK here is a harsh reality.
Stop speaking AOL, spell out what you mean.
Do have bis cards that I has out. -> I do have business cards to hand out. - Clear, maybe not "cool" or "hip" but people will at least not have to decipher what you mean.
Ive -> I have
ny -> by
ph
photoshots -> photographs or images
Is that any better then the other photo sites for getting views If properly run? -> Just what the heck are you talking about?

Even the spell checker on this site flags your spelling errors. As for your grammar, syntax and content, well, your education is lacking or English is not your first language. If you expect to get clients, learn to act in a professional manner. I have my doubts whether or not parents would let you in the room with their teenagers or themselves if you come across as a inarticulate hipster.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
I know I am not good at typing in a proper and professional manner. I never have been and know that is a weakness. So I always try and do an in person meeting before taking on any work. I find it is a lot easier for me to talk then type.

Photoshot was supposed to be photoshoot.
08-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
I know I am not good at typing in a proper and professional manner. I never have been and know that is a weakness. So I always try and do an in person meeting before taking on any work. I find it is a lot easier for me to talk then type.

Photoshot was supposed to be photoshoot.
Sometimes we all think that our photos are the greatest and people should like it; BUT the harsh reality is that they are usually not really interested in your hype. The best promotion you can get is the "word-of-mouth" which usually means you have to have some outstanding work done for someone who are willing to refer the future business to you.

08-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you have a good product to sell, it will speak for itself, and you will get clients. In today's social network, "likes" often times means nothing more than just a lip service which is cheap. Do you have a specific service (or product) that potential customers may like/want? If you don't, what's the purpose of promoting or getting your name out there?

Sorry, I didn't see that you want to do portrait work... do you have a good portfolio of portrait work that you would be proud to present to potential customers?
I still need to put my portfolio together. Been pretty undecided on where to go next but I get It now.
I know what I'm going to go for. I just need to commit to it and the work involved.

Thanks for the posts
08-19-2015, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

If your shooting people, join the local TFP (time for portfolio) groups. Setup some shoots with as many people as possible, couples, singles, groups, whatever. Do as many as you can and not only will you see a huge jump in your skill level but you will find you are networking with the locals and building phenomenal connections.

My personal story:

3-4 years ago I was shooting everything I could, but mostly bands and friends. I won't even share 90% of those images any more, I was very proud of them, but looking back I can see they were not as good as I thought they were. I wasn't networking, and I was wondering why I wasn't getting additional work. I did get 2 weddings and a few portrait session though

2 years ago I started focusing, I decided "I'm going to focus on music photography". I was not making a dime, but I knew I had to get my name out there. So I started shooting bands and offering my services. I was getting 1-2 shoots a month. I quickly remembered (from being a musician myself), that musicians have NO money. NONE. They spend it all on new instruments which are just as expensive as our high-end gear if not more so ($2500 guitars anyone?) and what little money the bars do pay them go into food/beer/smokes. My networking did however get me a few referrals and I shot 10 weddings that summer. FML, what horrid pain that was.

18 months ago I decided to refocus again and started networking with the locals a bit. They took me in a lot easier than I thought. I got humbled really really quickly too. A few of them really pushed me down and chopped me off at the legs, but I decided it would be my goal to prove them wrong. Those people are now part of my social circle. What really kick started though was I joined the TFP/modeling fashion groups you mentioned. I had no interest in fashion, I'm the last person who should have interest in fashion... but I love it now. I came out to one of their big group meets they have every summer and made some contacts. I got invited to a more private smaller function called a meet and pose (5 models 4 photographers 2 makeup artists) and got to have some fun.

Now in the past year I have done:
5 weddings at $2500+ a pop (not including prints)
1-2 paid portrait sessions a month
4-5 paid headshot sessions a month
2-3 TFP fashion sessions a month
1-3 paid fashion sessions overall
been invited to be a photographer for Western Canadian Fashion Week
been invited into multiple major projects and events

I've since refocused again and I'm focusing more on headshots than anything. The TFP stuff I did and the girls I've shot? Yea, did you know they have boyfriends, families, friends, and co-workers who all ask for photographers? All of my paid work over the last year has come from those word of mouth referrals, not instragram, not facebook. This includes other photographers hiring me for second shooting, I was referred and they checked me out through FB. My portfolio website sucks and I rarely update it. My facebook and instagram is a daily stream of images from my TFP work and the odd paid one with permission. That does get the conversation going though... a wicked headshot I did of this girl on Sunday has already given me 4 refferals I'm turning into sales.