Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Commercial Photo

Hi guys, been awhile last time came to site. I am having issues working out what to charge for a shoot!. The shoot involves as follows:

1. Consultation
2. Location pre scout.
3. Shoot
4. Supply of photos.

This is for a international gas and oil company they want 4 photos, 1 photo for front and back (wrap around) cover and the rest for first 3 pages. The company will be printing 110 000+ copies international magazine. The shoot will be landscape with infrastructure. I have no problems with shoot, just not sure on what to charge. I have a meet with company media reps on 4 September.

Any help greatly appreciated.

08-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd have a look at the PhotoQuote software to get close to what you should charge. This job should pay a lot more than the software so it will pay for its self right away.
The interface feels a little clunky (I'm a software engineer, I can't help but notice) but the information is vast and pretty easy to access.

Good luck, this should be a profitable deal for you.
08-14-2015, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getty Images has an online calculator that you enter the various parameters in - image size, circulation, industry, duration, etc. So, for the cover - using a full page, 110K, 1 month, Aus + US for international (although you could check every country in the entire world). That yields $2,545 (USD), however for the wrap around cover, I guess you would double it. The other images inside, would vary according to size (full, 1/2. 1/4, 1/8 page, etc.)

The Getty Calculator is used to price their available stock image inventory according to use, with the photographer getting only about 15-20%, with Getty keeping the rest for their image management, legal, marketing support. That is probably not important to you, so you would just charge the rate and assume the support yourself. You customer - the company, would wind up paying whatever anyway for the stock image.

Then, just charge your daily rate (plus costs - mileage, transportation, equipment rental, etc.) for the actual shooting, processing, site selection time, etc.Hope that it works out well for you!

08-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Greatly appreciated, The software and Price RM should put me on the right track.

Cheers
Macca