Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting at a wedding.

My God sister and a friend are getting married. She wants me to take photographs because she's afraid that the photographer will miss a lot of things. Her wedding is only 12 grand with about 250 people. So I don't think she hired that great of a photographer at all. Here is the chat with her,

God Sister: I was told that during weddings often times the couple misses out on what's happening around them. I was hoping to ask a couple people if they could make little videos, little snaps of things happening on the wedding day. Any interest?

Me: I don't want to be a Uncle Bob! *Sends her a link to a website that describes a uncle Bob*

God Sister: Lol!! No no no way. I actually might have one of those and already told my mom that I DO NOT WANT HIM DOING THAT AT ALL. I didn't mean on a serious note.... More like "snapchats" of groups of people/friends and random things

Here is what I am about to say to her, but first I need your guys' opinions on it first.

Alright. I'll bring my gear to shoot at your wedding. I've never photograph a wedding or anything even close to it's caliber. So I cannot guarantee that the outcome is a success or success even by a little.

I think this would be great practice so that I get some experience down for future weddings. I don't know, what do ya think?

08-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should be no problem if you're the second photographer, LeDave. That way, she gets coverage. You could even meet up with the contracted tog and work things out (you do the bridal party beforehand, he's in another room with the grooms, he shoots the speakers at dinner, you do the reactions of the guests, etc).
08-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #3

i wouldn't judge a photog by how much they might've spent on one. i would worry that if she's asking a couple of people to bring their photo gear to take snaps, there are no defined roles for everyone. as long as people realize that the main photographer is the main photographer, maybe no egos will be hurt.

that said, there are a lot of other ways to get "snapchat" like photos. in fact, i'd employ everybody attending to take photos and share them. for instance, if she tells people to use the same hashtag, she can pull all of the photos after the wedding and have an album made. another option that i've seen is to get a fuji instax wireless printer. as people are taking photos on their phones, they can connect to the printer's wifi and print a picture for the couple and use that as the guestbook.

i'm not saying you shouldn't bring your camera gear. it's just a tricky positioned to be employed as a photographer but not quite main photographer along with other people she may be asking
08-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

if she fully understands it is practice and none of the pictures may turn out. id like to practice myself but as long as you make it clear that she may get nothing. not saying your are a bad photographer by any means, just that as a guest you may be interrupted, may spend time talking to long lost relatives, my not be able to get away from a talkative relative, etc. a pro doesn't have to deal with talkative relatives, well, mine did deal with my mil (I paid for the photographer and many of my photos were posed photos of her extended family....)

remember when they used to leave disposal camera on the table for this? my friend got some pretty risque photos back, lol.

08-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This can actually turn out to be a disaster for the professional photographer.
If your sister has asked others to take photos, they get over their head and start interfering with the work of the hired one.
Everybody starts giving instructions to the couple. Look here, look there, bla bla bla...

I was in a shoot like this recently. I didn't know there was others with their camera going to shoot.
Eventually I told the groom he tells them to get out of my way, or he will not get that many good pictures.
08-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Uncle Bob definitely has to work things out with the pro, who won't want to be about to shoot the bride walking down the aisle, when suddenly, there's the back of Bob filling the frame, snapping away.

Last edited by clackers; 08-19-2015 at 11:56 AM.
08-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the input everyone. I am going to think through this and hopefully get even more input from others on the forum. In the meanwhile If I do bring my gear, I would bring my K-3 and sister's K-5, K-5 being equipped with 50-135 and K-3 equipped with a 16-50 w/ flash and diffuser. The K-3 is with the 16-50 because I figured I'd crop more with a wider lens, so it's viable to have more megapixels.

08-19-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as someone who second shoots a lot and have done weddings on my own... please just talk to the head photographer yourself first.

But stay out of their way, make sure you stay out of frame whenever you can and not step on their toes. Make sure the bride knows that its a real good way to anger the paid photographer and it can affect their quality of work and even the number of images they get back. I've seen so many things go sideways, especially when the bride/groom ask the guests to take as many pictures as possible.

When I shoot weddings I always talk to the bride about the benefit of an "unplugged wedding". (Why You Might Want to Consider an Unplugged Wedding) and when I got married I asked the same thing of our guests and got my nephew who was ushering to ask people to put cameras and gadgets down and then ask them to leave (we only kicked one out) if they persisted.

Personally, I don't want to look over from my wife and see the congressional all staring at our special moment behind ipads and camera phones. I want them to be with us! I would also hate to see nothing but the glow of portable devices movie lights that doing SFA instead of my guests faces. If they want a photo of the kiss, well then I can get my pro to forward you one.

Or the pro has a perfect shot lined up as the new married couple walks down the isle and all you see is everyone elses flashes like a movie runway....then your client asks if you can photo shop out all those flashes so they can see the peoples faces.... uhhhh sorry....no can do. Then they want to start a lawsuit because of breach of contract because they don't think the images are good enough... blah blah blah....

Just be careful and make sure she is aware of the problems they can cause by their request. Weddings cannot be reshot.
08-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds like she wants a videographer (for Snapchat type videos, i.e. 10sec clips. Snapchat is an app for sharing quick videos and pics instantly) in addition to her photographer, not a 'second shooter' for stills. Make sure you're both on the same page as to what she wants...
08-20-2015, 02:20 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Alright, thanks for the input everyone. I am going to think through this and hopefully get even more input from others on the forum. In the meanwhile If I do bring my gear, I would bring my K-3 and sister's K-5, K-5 being equipped with 50-135 and K-3 equipped with a 16-50 w/ flash and diffuser. The K-3 is with the 16-50 because I figured I'd crop more with a wider lens, so it's viable to have more megapixels.
Certainly a great gear setup. Checkout the 50-135 shots of someone else's first wedding shoot just posted:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/73997-da-club-post3346863.html

Hats off to the wedding photographers. They act so quickly, and get all the shots. Would be hard to match how fluid they are without several goes first as their assistants.
08-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As an unofficial second, I wouldn't use a flash to keep a lower profile.
In fact I've done a similar thing at a couple different friends' weddings and used only primes and tried to stay out of the pro's way. The couples loved the photos and loved how different they were from the pro with the flash rig.

I brought my K-3 and a 135/2.8 Leitz, DA70/2.4, DA40/2.8 which all fits in a small purse-sized shoulder bag. The 135 is an especially slow lens to use but since I wasn't under pressure I could take my time and make my best images. They liked the 135 stuff the best but it was outdoors so that gave us lots of space for such a long FOV.
09-28-2015, 01:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

From the sounds of it your god sister is not worried about the photographer catching the "moments" but more missing the other stuff. As a guest I would take a fast prime and just enjoy the day by talking to people, taking candids shots of people having fun, and after you have had a chat to people, ask them to bunch up for a quick group photo or two. A flash can come in handy for fill in harsh light or indoors/night time. Boost your ISO to 400-800 when using flash to get more ambient light. Also take some artistic shots of things like decorations, food, signs and things.
09-28-2015, 01:44 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
From the sounds of it your god sister is not worried about the photographer catching the "moments" but more missing the other stuff. As a guest I would take a fast prime and just enjoy the day by talking to people, taking candids shots of people having fun, and after you have had a chat to people, ask them to bunch up for a quick group photo or two. A flash can come in handy for fill in harsh light or indoors/night time. Boost your ISO to 400-800 when using flash to get more ambient light. Also take some artistic shots of things like decorations, food, signs and things.
This is what has worked well for me in the couple of similar situations I have been.

I suppose a 16-50 would have worked equally well as the 21-43-70 combo I like to use indoors.