Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Newly developed camera makes overexposure impossible

MIT Created a Camera That Will Never Overexpose a Photograph

My first thought when I saw this was "Wow, that's cool!".
My second thought was, "Once more a new technology is chipping away at the skills needed to make properly exposed photographs".

08-19-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm impressed by the amount of purple fringing in some of those photos. I guess if you don't over expose you don't have to worry about PF.
08-19-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm impressed by the amount of purple fringing in some of those photos. I guess if you don't over expose you don't have to worry about PF.
I'm pretty sure PF isn't a consideration at this point in development.
08-19-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'm pretty sure PF isn't a consideration at this point in development.
I was being facetious. I guess I would say that this sort of thing probably works decently at low iso, but not sure how well it works as your iso goes up.

08-19-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep , that's a good concept, the challenge is regarding the integration of the local pixel control logic, perhaps this could soon be implemented in large sensors allowing more per pixel space. Not so easy with high resolution sensors. On small chip, it could already be possible with 3D TSV (Through Silicon Vias) to stack a nearly conventional imager with added control logic onto another silicon layer stacked at the back of the sensor. If this become a reality implemented in a few years from now, this would revolutionize digital cameras by eventually getting image properties similar to what was with film.
08-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No more need for ND filters for long exposures

It will be interesting to see what kind of noise level they get out of this thing. With sufficient low-noise sensitivity it would mean getting closer to true ISO-lessness. Just pick the DoF and shutterspeed you want and forget about exposure values.

I mean, if Sony made, say, a 12MP sensor for the 645Z today it would be very hard to underexpose so severely you can't recover it. Add this tech and you can recover almost anything without too much noise.

...or we're looking at yet another interesting concept that never took off.
08-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Of course, after taking their "perfectly" exposed photos, half of the users will run the resulting images through their favorite "contrast" preset and blow the highlights right back out....

True.

That said, a "perfect" exposure is not necessarily the exposure you want. I suppose this would just move even more of the job from in-camera to the post processing.
08-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Intelligent exposure control is surely best left to the photographer, who is the only person able to judge the DR properties of each scene in relation to the cameras IQ and his/her processing intentions and capabilities.

Neither software implemented highlight control nor 'ETTL' approaches are conducive to getting the best IQ out of a sensor, and this technology must surely involve one or both .... ?

08-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Of course, after taking their "perfectly" exposed photos, half of the users will run the resulting images through their favorite "contrast" preset and blow the highlights right back out....
I guess you've never heard of highlights?
08-19-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's maybe worth point out that according to the video the photos in the article aren't from an actual working model, they're simulations of how this will work. The working model looks to be only B&W at the moment.

Pretty cool idea.
08-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'm sure there is more voodoo in the background but simply keeping track of how many times the "buckets" get emptied is the same as simply adding bits to the stored data.
i.e. 16 bit raw instead of 12,. I suppose creating high bit-depth sensor data is perhaps currently more difficult than using a clear+count algorithm on lesser technology?
08-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Been waiting for this inevitable innovation. Nothing new about the idea, just waiting for the tech to get there. And it won't destroy photography (or pro photography) -- it will actually just get us back to where we were with negative film, which is pretty tough to overexpose with any normal exposure time (you just have to burn that area in to get the detail).
08-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I'm sure there is more voodoo in the background but simply keeping track of how many times the "buckets" get emptied is the same as simply adding bits to the stored data.
i.e. 16 bit raw instead of 12,. I suppose creating high bit-depth sensor data is perhaps currently more difficult than using a clear+count algorithm on lesser technology?
They're not counting the number of times the pixel overflows. If they did, the name "Modulo Camera" would make little sense. The problem in reconstructing the image is how to determine the number of times an individual pixel has overflowed. If you wonder how is this ever possible, think of the simple case where you have a big area of pixels that showed as nearly saturated, with a handful of pixels in the middle that showed just about empty. It would be a safe bet that these nearly empty pixels had flipped.

Of course it will never be so obvious. They have more details on how you could achieve this in their technical paper found here:

Unbounded High Dynamic Range Photography using a Modulo Camera - Hang Zhao - MIT Media Lab
08-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes as I understand it, they don't care (or don't record) how many times each well was reset.
Instead thay do spatial signal processing to reconstruct the most likely array levels in X and Y
08-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea and I've always wondered if something like this could be done.

I think there might be other possible solutions that could work even better.