Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 01:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Thanks for the advice. One thing I am worried about is the weight of the 70-200, because it is about twice the weight of the 60-250. And advice on how to manage that for 6-10 hours?
Work out

08-25-2015, 02:39 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Should you bring all your gear to a wedding?
As a second shooter just take only what you need, a couple of bodies (the K3s) and two or three lenses.... wide/fast/medium focal lengths (no really long stuff).

Remember the spare memory cards and batteries.

If it's to be a paid gig, the rules change dramatically... so start with duplicates of everything, as failure is not an option on the day and also ensure that you have the correct insurances, in place especially public liability.
08-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I actually enjoy the differing opinions amongst people (even if it doesn't make the decision easier), it just comes to show how different opinions can be from photographer to photographer. No for some replies.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Woah! had no idea it was that heavy. I would say if you're able to manage it then go right ahead. I'm just stating this as my opinion, if I were in your spot, I would lug it around with me and try to fight through the tiresome and painful dwelling of having it on your side. Because in the end it'll be all worth it once you load all those pics up on Photoshop or Lightroom, you're going to be proud of your lens and your work.

Indeed, the 70-200mm is one beast of a lens (only in specs though, I'll need to use it to make any reliable comments), actually, to be honest it was my main justification for purchasing the 60-250mm lens in the interim to the release of the 70-200mm. I figure, if I am going for a hike, or I'm in broad sunlight (a common occurrence in Alice), the 60-250mm would be a more flexible lens, having a wider focal length on both ends and being much lighter. That said, the 70-200mm would probably give more control of DOF and should have much more reliable autofocus (not that the 60-250mm is bad, it's just no speed demon). So many choices, thankfully I have time to decide before the wedding.

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Bring what you think you'll use the most. You'll want to spend less time changing lenses, and more time catching shots to supplement what the primary shooter will be doing. I'd bring the 16-50 and the 60-250, and call it a day. You could invest in a Cotton Carrier, pick up the optional waist-level holder, and carry both cameras on your body. Being the secondary shooter, I would think that you'd get a lot of mileage out of the 16-50 alone. That will probably stay on your K-3 most of the day. There are plenty of people with wedding experience that will surely offer up advice. I would think that a single K-3 (with a couple batteries), the two aforementioned lenses, and maybe a flash (in case things get late, and light goes by the wayside) would be all that you would need. You have an outstanding collection of gear, and those three pieces should serve you well.

So in your opinion, you believe that a more minimalistic equipment set would be a more reasonable option. Is that because you think it would lead to more creative improvisation, or because it would be easier on my back (or both)? Also, do you think that a second body would be going over the top?

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
IMHO, you don't need to bring any long lens, you will be close to action, unless you intend to take sniper shots. Wide to medium lenses are more than enough; you need fast lens though.

Unfortunately, as an outdoor ceremony (with a small section in a warehouse church), I believe that a telephoto lens may be required (I've seen the locale, and it's not lacking in space). That said, I don't currently have a wide lens in my inventory, would you say that would be a spot worth filling? And with what?

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The 18-35 and 28-80.

I must admit, those two lenses are absolutely fantastic. That said, I do find that the 28-80mm has an unusual focal range on an APS-C sensor, but then again, I haven't actually shot the Sigma and the Tokina together as a two body system, so maybe it'd be more versatile with that setup.

---------- Post added 08-25-15 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Cameras - the two K-3s. Same battery. Same controls. DA* 16-50 F3.2 on one K-3 DA* 60-250 F2.8 of DFA* 70-200 F2.8 on the other K-3. Pick the lighter combo. Sigma 18-35 F1.8 in the bag as a backup for the DA* 16-50 Pentax DFA 100 F2.8 in the bag as a backup for your telecom Some kind of cooling vest or towel discretely worn so you don't melt in the heat.

So far, it seems that the consensus amongst us Pentaxians is that the 16-50mm is preferable to the 18-35mm. I can, from personal experience, say that I can see why people would say that. The extra 1 1/3 stop in brightness from the 18-35mm is fantastic, as is the edge to edge sharpness, but the focal range of the 16-50mm is outstandingly versatile and it does weigh quite a lot less. On the 60-250mm vs 70-200mm, I guess other than the obvious weight discrepancy, the main thing of note will be the autofocus performance, and the optical performance of each lens, though I doubt that the 70-200mm will be substantially better in its optical performance when compared to the 60-250mm. As for the backup lenses, would you wear a shoulder bag (in my case, a Billingham Hadley Pro), or a back pack? Also, I love the humour on the heat.

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I shoot weddings at the rate of about 2 per month. Here is what I carry. 3 bodies (KS1, K30 and K10D or K01 if a quiet shutter is requested) Tamron 17-50 2.8 Pentax DA* 50-135 Sigma 18-200 DA 50 1.8 DA 35 2.4 Sigma 70-300 (only for macro use) Good lighting(speedlites, radio triggers light modifiers) , plenty of all batteries and a good checklist to follow are almost as important as the cameras and lens.

So in your experience, do you find that the faster primes are of more use than the zoom lenses? On the lighting side of things, I will most likely bring my Pentax 360AF with enloop batteries, but I must say that my skills with light modifiers isn't that fantastic. As to the checklist, thank you, that's a brilliant idea.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am not experienced at this. I have shot only 1 wedding and it was done with a fast 50 as a favor to a friend when I was very young. The marriage didn't last so I have no way to look back and see how I did... Based on the heat and weight I think I would not try the 70-200. The DA* 60-250 is a fine lens and if this is an outdoor event it should deliver the goods But I'm just guessing. I'm not sure how much need for that long of a lens there will be. Maybe you could get by with the D FA 100 on one body and the 16-50 on the other.

I hope that isn't the case for the young couple to be wed, but nonetheless, we shall see. Also, you get used to the heat believe it enough, but you do have to be aware of it.
08-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You asked about a bag and mentioned shoulder and backpack. What about a lens belt pouch or two? They make quite a few interesting ones some of which are designed to allow you to open them and use the open side to store the lens you are pulling off the body so you have enough hands. It won't heat you up by sitting on your back and isn't going to fall off like shoulder bag might.

08-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As a second shooter, it's not that stressful, I'd take the 16-50 and the 60-250 (the wedding is outdoor so f4 is OK). You'll have to move a lot and having heavy gear will slow you down (even cause accident on the rush ). If you really want to shoot the 70-200 (who doesn't ) then try it out as often as possible to be familiar with the weight and the control of the lens ^_^
You might see the FF by November to pair with the 70-200 so begin putting some cash aside just in case
08-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
Forum Member

Are you working in an official capacity? That is, will you be coordinating with the pro photographer, or just tagging along doing your own thing? I think the answer to that may help narrow things down.
08-25-2015, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 50-135 suggestion is good I think, and so is using the 60-250 even thought it's only f/4.

What I would probably do is use a double strap of some kind (I have a Black Rapid) and put the 16-50 on one body and rotate a few primes on the other one and/or the 60-250. Your DFA 100 and DA 50 would be good choices to fill the prime slots. Those are nice for candids of the guests.

I basically did that at a wedding a couple of weeks ago but kept the DA 70/2.4 on the second body and 16-50 on the primary (with a flash but I was the paid guy). Worked out pretty well.

08-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have way, way too much equipment. Perhaps some could stay in a car or on a table (if secure), but you won't use much of that list. Given the heat, doubly so.

I was nearly the second at a wedding 18 months ago, and I did all the planning and preparing for it, before my wife's health problems forced me to cancel a month in advance. I worked very closely with the main photographer to decide on which shots needed to be taken, when, and from where. I knew what equipment he had and where he would be at all times. I knew roughly where I would (or at least could) be at all times. We visited the site to plan all this. I chose my equipment to a great extent on the basis of what would complement him. He is a young guy and has some weaknesses, so I planned to cover those areas in which he was weak. I also planned to duplicate much of what he was doing, from different angles and with different focal lengths. Sometimes we needed to be apart, in order to cover different parts of the day.

If I were you, I would be in close contact with the main photographer to find out what s/he needs from you. You certainly should share this equipment list and get feedback on which to bring and to use for what purposes. Perhaps your macro allows the main to have you do all the macro work (ring, flowers, napkins, etc) while the main is doing something else. In other words, your communication should allow the main to plan better what to do and what to have you do. You are there to help the main, unless s/he wishes otherwise. If the main uses only available light, you don't want to be introducing flashes. If the main has better long telephoto capability than you, s/he might want you to attend to wide angle or mid-range focal lengths. The main, especially if an experienced wedding photographer, may well have a shot list to follow, and that too will help determine focal lengths and f-stops.
08-25-2015, 05:15 PM   #24
Closed Account

Thanks for all the responses. I actually enjoy the differing opinions amongst people (even if it doesn't make the decision easier), it just comes to show how different opinions can be from photographer to photographer. No for some replies.

Indeed, the 70-200mm is one beast of a lens (only in specs though, I'll need to use it to make any reliable comments), actually, to be honest it was my main justification for purchasing the 60-250mm lens in the interim to the release of the 70-200mm. I figure, if I am going for a hike, or I'm in broad sunlight (a common occurrence in Alice), the 60-250mm would be a more flexible lens, having a wider focal length on both ends and being much lighter. That said, the 70-200mm would probably give more control of DOF and should have much more reliable autofocus (not that the 60-250mm is bad, it's just no speed demon). So many choices, thankfully I have time to decide before the wedding.

So in your opinion, you believe that a more minimalistic equipment set would be a more reasonable option. Is that because you think it would lead to more creative improvisation, or because it would be easier on my back (or both)? Also, do you think that a second body would be going over the top?

Unfortunately, as an outdoor ceremony (with a small section in a warehouse church), I believe that a telephoto lens may be required (I've seen the locale, and it's not lacking in space). That said, I don't currently have a wide lens in my inventory, would you say that would be a spot worth filling? And with what?

I must admit, those two lenses are absolutely fantastic. That said, I do find that the 28-80mm has an unusual focal range on an APS-C sensor, but then again, I haven't actually shot the Sigma and the Tokina together as a two body system, so maybe it'd be more versatile with that setup.

So far, it seems that the consensus amongst us Pentaxians is that the 16-50mm is preferable to the 18-35mm. I can, from personal experience, say that I can see why people would say that. The extra 1 1/3 stop in brightness from the 18-35mm is fantastic, as is the edge to edge sharpness, but the focal range of the 16-50mm is outstandingly versatile and it does weigh quite a lot less. On the 60-250mm vs 70-200mm, I guess other than the obvious weight discrepancy, the main thing of note will be the autofocus performance, and the optical performance of each lens, though I doubt that the 70-200mm will be substantially better in its optical performance when compared to the 60-250mm. As for the backup lenses, would you wear a shoulder bag (in my case, a Billingham Hadley Pro), or a back pack? Also, I love the humour on the heat.

So in your experience, do you find that the faster primes are of more use than the zoom lenses? On the lighting side of things, I will most likely bring my Pentax 360AF with enloop batteries, but I must say that my skills with light modifiers isn't that fantastic. As to the checklist, thank you, that's a brilliant idea.

I hope that isn't the case for the young couple to be wed, but nonetheless, we shall see. Also, you get used to the heat believe it enough, but you do have to be aware of it.
I think the minimalist approach works because you're the second shooter. Everything changes if you're the top gun - wedding failure is not allowed. Your primary shooter will have most everything covered, with you working to get those cool shots he's too busy to take (because he needs to hit all of the required stuff). Hard to have time for special candid moments when you're groaning with an aching back, and changing lenses. Regarding your back, I know I do a lot better hiking - as in moving - carrying a load. Better on my feet and back. You'll be standing around a lot, and the extra weight of a loaded gear pack would kill my feet. But that's me.

Last edited by esrandall; 08-25-2015 at 06:53 PM.
08-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Don't think you'll need the Sigma 150-500 at the wedding.
08-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't shoot weddings at all, but... if there's going to be a pro there, and you will be shooting the event with him/her - as opposed to being just another guest with a camera - wouldn't the main shooter be the appropriate person to answer this question? Talk to him/her! Make sure she's OK with you being second shooter and ask her about what types of shots you should be covering and how you two will work together. From what I've read, being second shooter is how many wedding photogs start out, so if you're interested in shooting weddings in the future, this could be a good opportunity for you...? Just a thought.
08-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a large Rogue Flash Bender when there is nothing to bounce from. This softens and spreads the flash better than a bare flash head. I use the primes mainly during the reception where I have more freedom to move around. I use the fast zooms during the ceremony.
08-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Renting possibly isn't going to be an option for OP as he's in a smallish city smack in the middle of Australia with desert all around him for hundreds of miles.