Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Am I missing something

Hello friends. I'm a long time photographer who over the past year and a half have dedicated myself to the goal of becoming a full time photographer and hopefully quit my usual job some day. Over the past year specifically I have made incremental steps to market myself.

-First was a business cards
-then a facebook business page.
-after that I designed a logo for myself
-next came a full fledged website through zenfolio
-My site has a blog page and I don't use it enough

The problem is despite my online presence and obvious skill I am have never been called by a stranger asking for my services. Heck I can't even get friends or most of my relatives to make an appointment. I can get close though. Many say they have a time or season they want to shot for like fall or spring, but they never get back with me. Of all the money I have spent the last time I had a paying gig was last year. This is really discouraging. I live in a market saturated by photographers. I seem to always be missing opportunities left and right. My goal is to make an income through weddings, senior pictures, and freelance work.

But am I not aggressive enough? I'm already a very outgoing and likeable guy. What else do I need to do? Send my portfolio to local magazines? Give cards to bridal shops? Mail out business cards? Photograph little league teams, school pictures? And how do I do it? That is contact people and businesses. I just need some tips that's all. I'm ready to work my but off, get burned, an even lose few more dollars. But I won't spend another grand on a lens that isn't going to be in use.

Currently I am trying to get some search engine opptomization on my site as well as regularly post on my blog about reviews and tips. I have redidgned my cards and picked away I want to be marketed.

08-30-2015, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're seeing what a lot of aspiring photographers miss. It's that salesmanship is at least as important as photography skills. A successful free-lance photographer spoke to our camera club recently. One of the things he did to help earn more jobs was to stop going to camera club meetings...and start going to writers' club meetings. There, he was able to team up with a writer and together they started marketing complete story ideas to magazines. Another thing he did was provide numerous key words for the pics on his website so that when someone searched by those words, his pics would pop up. Don't give up! I think that you'll find that once you get your foot in the door, one job will lead to another.
08-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I talked to a guy working in a camera shop last week. He does professional work for charities and service organizations.

You won't get work by the internet or business cards. Personal contacts and referrals result in work. Do up a calendar with your work and give it away to a bunch of people you have dealings with, maybe 20 or so. Make sure it is very good. In time people will ask if it is for sale.
08-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I talked to a guy working in a camera shop last week. He does professional work for charities and service organizations.

You won't get work by the internet or business cards. Personal contacts and referrals result in work. Do up a calendar with your work and give it away to a bunch of people you have dealings with, maybe 20 or so. Make sure it is very good. In time people will ask if it is for sale.
Very good idea. I like it.

---------- Post added 08-30-15 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think you're seeing what a lot of aspiring photographers miss. It's that salesmanship is at least as important as photography skills. A successful free-lance photographer spoke to our camera club recently. One of the things he did to help earn more jobs was to stop going to camera club meetings...and start going to writers' club meetings. There, he was able to team up with a writer and together they started marketing complete story ideas to magazines. Another thing he did was provide numerous key words for the pics on his website so that when someone searched by those words, his pics would pop up. Don't give up! I think that you'll find that once you get your foot in the door, one job will lead to another.
Excellent. I'm a loner so joining a group would be super helpful, especially a writing group.. Thank you

08-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Make a groupon for 50-65 percent off your normal rate. Be sure to include family portraits. We used a person that did that one year. But we went back to the person we used the previous year ( three times the cost ).

Just to let you know.

You have to develop a following that has repeat business. People tend to get married 1-6 times. But people get family portraits 1-2 times a year. IF they are people that do family portraits. My sister is a professional photographer. We offer to people if you come an hour early to my daughters birthday party we will give you a free family portrait photo session. No takers.

In fact I've had many a folks say " school pics or Walmart or cellphone is just as good" to them.
08-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People like their pets possibly more than their children.Possibly volunteering at a pet shelter or animal rescue group, could be an entry. At least it will get you a portfolio. There are also designated photographers at dog shows shooting the winners. There are all sorts of animal organizations and shows - cows, horses - even guinea pigs.

Perhaps team up with a local pet supply store (or dog park). Folks bring their dogs with them. All you need is a laptop and printer and they can leave with a picture - and a business card - for maybe a larger framed image or such.

Another though is - what things do you like? Cars, motorcycles, bikes, skateboards, skiing, etc.

If it's cars - find some car clubs, or motor cycle clubs (yea - other than the Hell's Angles), etc. There are folks here that write and shoot for motorcycle magazines, etc.

Pair an existing interest with photography and find a group that has the interest, then shoot for them.

Another idea is to go searching for groups that have their own website, forum, etc. See if they are interesting in images.

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-30-2015 at 04:47 PM.
08-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are really trying to get into the wedding business, Your idea of putting flyers and business cards in wedding shops is something you should do. If you do, put them in all that you can find in your area.

You might also try to put flyers up in florist shops too.

Doing portraits and senior photos is a little bit trickier. I know that this is old school but put adds in the paper and the phone book (I know, who uses phone books anymore). The problem with the portrait business is that everybody has a camera and everybody does portraits.

08-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another variable is your work itself. I don't know your work at all. Maybe you have a style that people don't care for, that is not "commercial" enough for sales. Post some portraits or other types of photo that you are trying to sale in the photo critique section, and even in this thread.
08-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say that your area is already "saturated" with pros. Whether or not that is true, you might talk with some of them about what it took for them to break in to that particular market. Ask any wedding photographers if they need an assistant (even if you only fill in when the usual assistant is sick or gone). Begin to schmooze with that crowd. Where do they hang out? Anywhere together? Do they attend gallery showings? Find the pros and pick their minds.
08-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first error I see is you say you have a website but did not provide a link. Fail. Always have your website in anything you do online if you are promoting yourself.

I have been told that this business is 70% marketing and 30% photography. I've no idea if that is correct or not but marketing needs to be a significant part of your time. You have a website, and blog how often do you post? Do you have a Facebook business page? Twitter account? Do you have local businesses that allow service companies to post business cards on their cork board? If so make the rounds and hang up cards or flyers.

I spoke with a woman awhile back who is a successful artist. I noticed that anyone who got within range of her got a 30 second intro to what she does. When I asked she said her mother had been a full time artist and trained her in the "elevator speech". If you are in an elevator with someone (or anywhere else) have a 30 second and 60 second speech ready and give it to them. Don't be shy you likely will never see that person again, but in 60 seconds or less describe what you do, why you are good at it and why they should hire you the next time they have a need for your service. Hand them a card, say thanks for listening and the elevator door opens. 95% will result in nothing but if you keep doing that and keep handing out cards and giving speechs eventually work comes you way.

The suggestion above for looking for an existing pro to assist is also a good one. They can show you the ropes and help get you started. Just remember to respect them, and understand that even if they are paying you, they are doing you a huge favor by teaching you at the same time.
08-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm decidedly not a professional photographer, but here's a few things I noticed right off:

The wedding portfolio on your website has almost nothing in it. It looks like you've shot one wedding, maybe a friends. Why would someone risk hiring you if there's no evidence you are able to consistently produce the goods? Even odder, it appears I can order prints from this wedding. Why would your website be set up to allow a total stranger to order prints from someone's wedding? That's not very professional imo.

Your senior portraits show one session. Again, there's no evidence you are able to consistently produce quality work.

On your facebook page, the last thing in "visitor posts" is what appears to be an unanswered comment requesting a picture from almost a year ago. This may be a minor thing to some people, but it stands out to me as not professional looking - even if you respond to the person by other means, you should drop a note on facebook so visitors know you've responded promptly.

I would say build your portfolio and polish up your web presence. Face-to-face contacts and referrals are very key to most any small business, but when someone is on the receiving end of "word of mouth" and goes to look you up on the web, what they run into can be a deciding factor. You mentioned (over here) about wanting to do an exhibit featuring "dramatic portraiture". What's stopping you? Find a group of people that would appreciate some free portrait sessions and go for it. Heck, hold a "pizza and portrait" party for your friends if you're really stuck for models. You'd be out the cost of a few pizzas, but most all of my friends will do just about anything for a couple of hours if I supply free pizza.

There's a guy near me starting up who has set out to provide environmental portraits to all the business owners of the small town he grew up near. He treats them as full jobs (complete with a MUA he provides) and has labelled it a personal project so there's no stigma to providing this free of cost to the business owners. At the end, he'll have given something back to the town, have a solid portfolio, and gotten his name around, at least among the yokels. Seems like a great idea to me, and at the very least in his spare time he gets to hone his craft in a professional setting of his own creation, not to mention all the the new people and contacts he gets to meet.

Best of luck!
08-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Outgoing Personality, Personal Contacts throughout your Market Area in all Areas Social , Sports , Business, Political, etc. And of course the skills and the sample portfolio to catch the eye of a potential customer in a usually very brief encounter.( A business card that was a Moon Rise over 2 little Red Tugs with lots of Black space for the message but not interfering with the picture) Unique ideas to create your own market.( Rented a Fixed Wing Plane hired an experienced pilot - much cheaper than a Helo and flew over Commercial ,Institutional, educational, Industrial, Transportation etc etc sites and shot every thing in site. Landed then hit the pavement and made sales and future work.. This was all done before the turn of the Century (film ) ; would be much easier now with digital. By the way extended watching the ground will probably make you Air Sick which I experienced.
08-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm decidedly not a professional photographer, but here's a few things I noticed right off:

The wedding portfolio on your website has almost nothing in it. It looks like you've shot one wedding, maybe a friends. Why would someone risk hiring you if there's no evidence you are able to consistently produce the goods? Even odder, it appears I can order prints from this wedding. Why would your website be set up to allow a total stranger to order prints from someone's wedding? That's not very professional imo.

Your senior portraits show one session. Again, there's no evidence you are able to consistently produce quality work.

On your facebook page, the last thing in "visitor posts" is what appears to be an unanswered comment requesting a picture from almost a year ago. This may be a minor thing to some people, but it stands out to me as not professional looking - even if you respond to the person by other means, you should drop a note on facebook so visitors know you've responded promptly.

I would say build your portfolio and polish up your web presence. Face-to-face contacts and referrals are very key to most any small business, but when someone is on the receiving end of "word of mouth" and goes to look you up on the web, what they run into can be a deciding factor. You mentioned (over here) about wanting to do an exhibit featuring "dramatic portraiture". What's stopping you? Find a group of people that would appreciate some free portrait sessions and go for it. Heck, hold a "pizza and portrait" party for your friends if you're really stuck for models. You'd be out the cost of a few pizzas, but most all of my friends will do just about anything for a couple of hours if I supply free pizza.

There's a guy near me starting up who has set out to provide environmental portraits to all the business owners of the small town he grew up near. He treats them as full jobs (complete with a MUA he provides) and has labelled it a personal project so there's no stigma to providing this free of cost to the business owners. At the end, he'll have given something back to the town, have a solid portfolio, and gotten his name around, at least among the yokels. Seems like a great idea to me, and at the very least in his spare time he gets to hone his craft in a professional setting of his own creation, not to mention all the the new people and contacts he gets to meet.

Best of luck!
Hey thanks. My website's a work in progress. I keep fighting with zenfolio settings to get things right. But I'm glad to see you took the time to look at my site
08-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #14

I am not a photographer by any means, i am a hobbyist and that is really stretching it since i dont seem to have enough time to shoot much. But, i am a woman and i am a mother and my guess is that most photography is bought by women and mothers.

So, one piece of advice that may or may not help.... friday night football. When my sons played football there was a photographer on the side lines. I knew i could take video of the games, i could also get some shots with my camera but i did not have a nice camera with a really nice zoom, or the skill, and i could not get the action shots close up. There was a photographer on the side lines taking pictures, he gave me his website, i gave him my boys jersey numbers and positions and he took some beautiful actions shots which i gladly purchased from his web site.

You may want to look into the local high schools football schedule, which is starting up now, their home games and spend some friday nights shooting. If nothing pans out, at least you will get experience and possibly some nice shots for your portfolio.

My youngest son is a new photographer. He went to school for film productions, learned a bit about photography, but found out when he graduated the field is tough to break into. I encouraged him to try anything related to his field. He finally was hired by a company that films at the amusement parks. While the pay is low, he is gaining experience, he shoots alot of underwater, and is now transferring into their sports division which includes golf, cheerleading, dog shows, motorcycles, etc. Very broad. He sees this as a way to learn more, get more experience and grow. And in the process he is also learning the art of communicating, networking, sales. I have no idea what your experience is with photography but just thought i would share. Maybe it will spark something for you.

Again, not a photographer, just a mother.
08-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #15

You are trying to get into a field which many older established pros have been basically squeezed out of.
My recomendations are :
1. Don't quit the day job yet.
2. Differentiate yourself from the herd of Community College Photographers , MWACs and other aspiring "pros".
3. Consentrate on local networking
4. Find your nitch and become the best at it. Establish a reputation as the best!
5. Shooting weddings is definately not the only way to make a buck with a camera.
Back in the day most people wanting to break into the business took the title "Assistant" to an establihed photographer. While hauling gear , shooting back up and really learning the business , contacts were made that would become clients later.
Today , well lets just say the local Community College has put out more hair dressers and "professional photographers" than you can shake a stick at.
Sorry if this sounds discouraging but in the words of a gentleman who I shot back in the early 80's "You can get it if you really want".