Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

"Rochon says he shared 232 photos he captured from his DJ station as a gift to the bride and broom with the couple’s full knowledge."

I truthfully do not get the frustration of the photographer...
He could of shot 10000 pictures... he got no money out of it and I doubt they were as good as the pro photographer... if they were any better, than the couple should sue the photographer .

09-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #17

He also posted the photos under his other business, which includes wedding photography. And tagged the photos with the official wedding photographer's facebook page, meaning to the average person browsing them, they would appear rather official. Also, while he was walking around shooting, he wasn't doing much DJing, was he? :/
09-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
"Rochon says he shared 232 photos he captured from his DJ station as a gift to the bride and broom with the couple’s full knowledge."

I truthfully do not get the frustration of the photographer...
He could of shot 10000 pictures... he got no money out of it and I doubt they were as good as the pro photographer... if they were any better, than the couple should sue the photographer .
Did you read the article? It's annoying if "uncle bob" with his camera interferes with the pro, I can imagine it would be doubly so if the person interfering is another wedding professional who should know better:

"Fuller [the photographer] accuses Rochon of interfering with the “organic experience” of the couple’s day and confusing guests about who the photographer was by posing people and taking detail photos during the wedding (Rochon says he was almost always shooting from his position at his DJ booth)."

It's something of a "he said she said" though, so who knows if he was legitimately in her way or not (why aren't there zillions of cell phone videos to back up either party?).
09-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Did you read the article? It's annoying if "uncle bob" with his camera interferes with the pro, I can imagine it would be doubly so if the person interfering is another wedding professional who should know better:

"Fuller [the photographer] accuses Rochon of interfering with the “organic experience” of the couple’s day and confusing guests about who the photographer was by posing people and taking detail photos during the wedding (Rochon says he was almost always shooting from his position at his DJ booth)."

It's something of a "he said she said" though, so who knows if he was legitimately in her way or not (why aren't there zillions of cell phone videos to back up either party?).
I paid a photographer for my wedding and my mother in law kept pulling him away from the wedding to take posed family photos of HER family and relatives outside. I would have loved to have a dj (or anyone else with a camera) doing those shots then me paying for generational photos that I was not even invited to be in. Maybe the bride feels the same way and is happy that she didn't have to pay for those posed shots? And the hired photographer got more photos of the actual bride and groom and other exciting events because everyone posed for the other guy?

That's just my take on being kind of irked that many of my photos were posed family photos that I specifically did not want and the reason I picked my photographer because he didn't do that. If someone else had taken them and given them to me, great, they are free.

Last edited by Murfy; 09-10-2015 at 03:16 PM.
09-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I did read the article... don't worry.

If the guy was interfering with the photographer's work, the photographer should of dealt with him there on the spot, not after the fact! After the fact is already pointless and too late! Is also said that the DJ HAD APPROVAL from the couple "... with the couple’s full knowledge".
I see 0 complains from the couple, so that to me shows that they were happy with the music and the photos from both.

In the end, if the photographer doesn't wish to be associated with the DJ, she has the power to un-tag herself (as far as I know Facebook allows you that) AND block/ignore that person. Beyond that, is done... they can't do much about it...

QQing about it after the fact is actually bad for the reputation of the Photographer... she will look like a greedy person that is trying to monopolize something and future couples might think twice since (let's be real now), they always want as many pictures as possible from everyone so they can choose the best they want.

Last edited by mrNewt; 09-11-2015 at 07:04 AM.
09-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

If the guy was interfering with the photographer's work, the photographer should of dealt with him there on the spot, not after the fact!
She claims she tried (according to the article we both read:P). I had thought her point of view made her ire clear. That's all. I won't claim to know who was in the right or wrong.

Anyhoo, I agree making this crap public just looks bad. Really for everyone involved. The risk your business name becomes associated with a public spat in search engines is just not worth it. I'd think the professional thing to do would be to hash out their differences afterwards, or probably just agree to never work the same event ever again.
09-10-2015, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

She claims she tried (according to the article we both read:P). I had thought her point of view made her ire clear. That's all. I won't claim to know who was in the right or wrong.
Yep, read that part too, is just that I don't think she dealt with it properly. She should of involved the couple so they can tame down the other guy. I doubt she would of had any kind of authority over the guy. Don't get me wrong, I actually dislike the DJ and how he approached the whole thing... he could of been more professional about the whole thing as well.
09-10-2015, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Yep, read that part too, is just that I don't think she dealt with it properly. She should of involved the couple so they can tame down the other guy. I doubt she would of had any kind of authority over the guy. Don't get me wrong, I actually dislike the DJ and how he approached the whole thing... he could of been more professional about the whole thing as well.
It's hard to say exactly what went on but I think we can both agree no one's really coming off as a class act. Oh the joy of public inter-web feuds.

09-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shot a destination wedding were the groom's sister's best friend's husband showed up with literally $30K+ in Canon camera gear in 2 pelican cases. I was shooting with my K-3 and A7II. A lot of people thought he was the event photographer. It was a little annoying, but he wasn't going to capture the same images I was. As soon as he busted out with the 400L I knew he was going to stay out of the way. I can see the photographers frustration with other people taking pictures, but she needs to get over it and do her thing. I have to drive down to Alabama tomorrow to shoot another wedding where I already know there will be another photographer working. I was hired by the bride, and the other photographer has been hired by her mother in-law to be. It doesn't matter. I'm hired to do my thing and usually the "other photographer" is a nephew with a Canon Rebel and a kit lens. I like the competition.

The DJ shouldn't post pictures claiming to be the hired photographer, but he can post all the pictures he wants.

As I said in a previous post. The problem that the photographer has is that the DJ took good pictures. If the pictures sucked, the photographer would be quite happy to point to them and say "look. This is why you hire a professional".
09-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until recently most of my adult life I was a wedding DJ.
Weddings are busy gigs and required my focused attention to MC and play the specific music for each portion of the schedule of events, then later switch into club Dj mode for the dance portion.
I can't imagine how the distraction of trying to take pictures would have impacted my work as a DJ.
I coordinated with many photographers during those years to make sure they were ready for each photo opp and helped them as much as I could to enable getting shots the couple would want.
They did their job, I did mine.
Im not sure what the DJ was trying to accomplish but if he spent that much effort on photos I suspect his DJ services suffered or lacked quality.
Jack of all trades master of none...
09-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Until recently most of my adult life I was a wedding DJ.
Weddings are busy gigs and required my focused attention to MC and play the specific music for each portion of the schedule of events, then later switch into club Dj mode for the dance portion.
I can't imagine how the distraction of trying to take pictures would have impacted my work as a DJ.
I coordinated with many photographers during those years to make sure they were ready for each photo opp and helped them as much as I could to enable getting shots the couple would want.
They did their job, I did mine.
Im not sure what the DJ was trying to accomplish but if he spent that much effort on photos I suspect his DJ services suffered or lacked quality.
Jack of all trades master of none...
He could have very easily had all his tracklists pre programmed and ready to go on a laptop making it super easy to mix especially if he remembered where to set the tempo saving time on beat matching. Plenty of people do that these days.

That would leave plenty of time for taking photos and generally not doing his job
09-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silver_dragon Quote
He could have very easily had all his tracklists pre programmed and ready to go on a laptop making it super easy to mix especially if he remembered where to set the tempo saving time on beat matching. Plenty of people do that these days.

That would leave plenty of time for taking photos and generally not doing his job
Knowing a number of DJs, coming up with playlists for 3+ hours' worth of reception isn't a breeze by any means. It still involves a good bit of prep work. And of course he has to be there to trigger certain playlists, swap out music on the fly, slot in requests (if he takes any). It's not effortless, by any means.
09-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The wedding photographer has exclusive rights to sell the wedding photos. As long as the DJ doesn't try to sell the images, I don't see any legal issue.
09-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I did read the article... don't worry.

If the guy was interfering with the photographer's work, the photographer should of dealt with him there on the spot, not after the fact! After the fact is already pointless and too late! Is also said that the DJ HAD APPROVAL from the couple "... with the couple’s full knowledge".
That actually means the couple violated the contract. The photographer doesn't have recourse against the DJ because they had no agreement. However, the photographer does have a case against the couple because the couple, whether they read the contract or not, agreed to exclusivity. If they knowingly violated that, then they've lost the case. Basically, the DJ threw the couple under the bus here. If the DJ had taken photos without the couple knowing, that would be a bit more murky, but given that they gave approval...this is pretty much an open and shut case if the DJ is going to testify he had approval in open court.

But given that he was posing people, the couple knew he was doing this and even if they didn't explicitly say so, their failure to tell him to stop amounts to tacit approval. So they are pretty much dead on this case because the contract says so. There's a lot of emotional arguing going on in the article. It's not about right and wrong. None of that matters. The contract is all that matters. It seems pretty clear it was violated here.

As for those who said this is because the DJ took good photos...yep, you are right. The photographer wouldn't care if they were selfies and cell phone photos. It's about branding: the DJ's photos could easily be confused with the hired photographer's and if they are not quite as good, then it hurts the photographer's brand. The other thing, and this is a BIGGIE, is that the real photographer's photos may be attributed to the DJ. That means the DJ is basically trying to use the photographer's brand to advance his own cause--this is *definitely* not ok.

I'm not a pro but I do hobby work alongside a lot of other photographers. We shoot the same people. It's very important that we distinguish our work, not snipe someone else's shots.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 09-15-2015 at 05:00 AM.
09-15-2015, 05:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
However, the photographer does have a case against the couple because the couple, whether they read the contract or not, agreed to exclusivity.
Sure... she should sue them. What a wonderful present to sent them in life together .
If the photographer does that, I am pretty sure she will run out of business very soon... what couple will want to hire a photographer that sues them after? Preferably during the honey moon...
Like I have said, I don't agree with what the DJ did... totally uncool. But what are you going to do? DJ didn't got paid for the photos... the photographer did and he delivered his job.

I'm also a little bit on the fence with the exclusivity photos during a wedding... how in the world are you going to control that? Stop the wedding just because someone (family or friend) is taking the pictures of the couple as well? - good luck with that.
I agree that shadowing the event photographer is not very professional, but if you can't deal with the person right there on the spot, after the event is nothing but throwing mud on your profession.