Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Site - Feedback

I have been working on a new site as I am trying to make some money with this hobby.
I am still working on it but I will never get it out there if everything to be perfect.

It will be nice to have some feedback of what i can do.
My pictures are not the best, but some people seem to like them.

What to you think of the music? Yes / No?

Abeka Bonney Photography

09-08-2015, 02:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

nice looking site.
i got shocked by the sound (I'm at work :-))) i would not add this to the landing page... you could have it on a subpage...
hm im missing the info page. Who are you? why should i choose you? what is your passion, experience, style etc.? Self portrait kind of thing? where are you, what region / area are you covering?
what do you sell? Offer? How can i get it?
if i like a picture how do i tell you? e.g. there is no numbers on the pictures
latest blog entry from 2014?

quick feedback from a quick flight....:-)

Good start i really like the style and minimal design. And of course the pictures!
09-08-2015, 02:14 AM   #3

Beautiful site!!! music and all- best wishes with your enterprise.
09-08-2015, 03:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First I will start with grammar... You missing an `H` in your logo... abekabonney photograpy !?

then what max_pyne said...

Those adds for WiX site has to be removed...

That's from me...

09-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
nice looking site.
i got shocked by the sound (I'm at work :-))) i would not add this to the landing page... you could have it on a subpage...
hm im missing the info page. Who are you? why should i choose you? what is your passion, experience, style etc.? Self portrait kind of thing? where are you, what region / area are you covering?
what do you sell? Offer? How can i get it?
if i like a picture how do i tell you? e.g. there is no numbers on the pictures
latest blog entry from 2014?

quick feedback from a quick flight....:-)

Good start i really like the style and minimal design. And of course the pictures!
Thanks.
Its not possible to have the music on only subpages.
But I will try to minimize the volume, so it doesnt catch one offguard.
I know what you mean with the rest of your observance. I am trying to avoid being too over exposed (overwhelmed) at the moment, because I am still learning my trade.
I am still very much an amateur. At this moment I am getting my clients by word of mouth and using the site as reference work. Even currently I dont want to work outside my city.
I have a full time day job and family.

There is a comment but I have to pay for it. And at this moment I am still waiting to see how much money I will get out of this before making more investment.

The blog side is from my old blogspot site. I didnt want the people visiting to think that i just started in the business.

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 14:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24351 Quote
Beautiful site!!! music and all- best wishes with your enterprise.
Thanks very much

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 14:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
First I will start with grammar... You missing an `H` in your logo... abekabonney photograpy !?

then what max_pyne said...

Those adds for WiX site has to be removed...

That's from me...
Nice catch. I will fix it soon.

The WiX add is because at this moment its a free site. But lets see down the line.

Thanks.
09-08-2015, 04:49 AM   #6
Lev
Veteran Member

Nice site but I suggest to turn off music on page startup and let visitor decide if he/she wants to listen to it. Another thing is compatibility. This is A MUST to have responsive design especially for this kind of site. Would be great and not so difficult.

Photos are amazing!!!
09-08-2015, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Since you asked for feedback.....I immediately leave any site that forces me to listen to music or narration.....

09-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto-playing music makes me leave a site and never return.

I also hate auto-sliding images on home pages or anywhere really. Just when I'm looking at something, you take it away! I much prefer a default of nothing moving until I tell it to as opposed to an auto-play and making me find the pause button.

Some great images! I'd suggest you be more selective to avoid repetition. For example, on the portraits page you have a bunch of pictures of the girl in essentially the same pose, on the Misc page you have essentially the same volleyball shot repeated five times. It may be just me, but I'm also not a fan of putting a colour and B&W version of the same photo side by side (on your Macros page), it looks wishy-washy like you can't decide which you preferred.

On the wedding page, the "James & Jaspe" album leads nowhere (you may not have gotten there yet).

Best of luck!
09-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

First of all - automatic music is the biggest of all NONOs in web design. If a website plays automatic music, I leave immediately. That seems to also be the sentiment of most people on the web, and automatic background music is generally considered unprofessional. So I'd get rid of that quickly.

Your website's address could need some changing. You said you'd like to start making some money with your photography, that probably includes sending the link to your website to potential clients, or some time even printing it on business cards. And www.cultureapps1.wix.com/abekabonney is not the most professional sounding address out there You could register your own domain like www.abekabonney-photography.com, or similar. Some free hosting services (like wordpress.com) allow you to use your own domain. It's pretty affordable ($18 per year for your own domain) and what I did when I created my photography blog + portfolio website.

Lastly, the 'Infants and kids' section only has two images in it. I don't think that's enough to warrant its own section, so either fill it up with more images (if you have some), or take it out. Right now it conveys the message to potential clients that you have very little experience shooting kids.

I hope this didn't sound too harsh Other than the above your site is pretty nice.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 01-15-2016 at 04:01 AM.
09-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

Love the looks of the site, but I find music should be disabled by default. A lot of people work in an environment where noise from websites, no matter how great, is not welcome. There is nothing more annoying to me than being greeted by music when what I expect is visuals only. It also limits where you can browse the site from. So by all means, let it be there, but allow the user to choose to play it, not the other way around

Also agree about not posting multiple images of the same subject in virtually the same pose. Somewhat redundant. And lastly, some of you images have watermarks, some don't, some have them different than others - I'm personally not a fan of watermarking at all, but if you are, coming up with one, uniform design is a must in my eyes.

You have some lovely photographs so best of luck with the project!
09-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

I liked your site very much!
Nice photos as well!
Good Luck
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I keep my sound muted 100% of the time. Why? I like to load multiple webpages in the background in their own tabs and half the time the pages have ads that play music. It's annoying to read a news article in one tab while an ad plays music in another tab in the background.

So, if you were trying to reach me with some audio message I would never get it.

Photography is a visual art. I would never associate audio to it unless there was some video content.
09-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I also hate auto-sliding images on home pages or anywhere really. Just when I'm looking at something, you take it away! I much prefer a default of nothing moving until I tell it to as opposed to an auto-play and making me find the pause button.
I totally agree. And yet this annoying 'feature' is de rigueur on most photographers' web sites.

It's just plain RUDE. I like to listen to music when I surf the web. MY music, not what you have chosen for me to listen to.
09-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I keep my sound muted 100% of the time. Why? I like to load multiple webpages in the background in their own tabs and half the time the pages have ads that play music. It's annoying to read a news article in one tab while an ad plays music in another tab in the background.
I often have ten tabs open simultaneously and hardly ever does any of them play music. It might have to do with having an adblocker installed. You could try that, it's quite effective
09-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phew. General consensus. Auto music is on mute. Maybe will be delete later.

Some great images! I'd suggest you be more selective to avoid repetition. For example, on the portraits page you have a bunch of pictures of the girl in essentially the same pose, on the Misc page you have essentially the same volleyball shot repeated five times. It may be just me, but I'm also not a fan of putting a colour and B&W version of the same photo side by side (on your Macros page), it looks wishy-washy like you can't decide which you preferred.

On the wedding page, the "James & Jaspe" album leads nowhere (you may not have gotten there yet).

Best of luck!
Thanks for the feedback Brian, I know what you mean with the portrait page but unfortunately I dont have that many portrait shots that I can post.
And not to make it look like the kids and infant page I decided to post several of that same girl.

I like auto-sliding images. It gives me a quick overview of what the artist can do before I even delve into their site.
Yes the James & Jaspe album is coming.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 07:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
First of all - automatic music is the biggest of all NONOs in web design. If a website plays automatic music, I leave immediately. That seems to also be the sentiment of most people on the web, and automatic background music is generally considered unprofessional. So I'd get rid of that quickly.

Your website's address could need some changing. You said you'd like to start making some money with your photography, that probably includes sending the link to your website to potential clients, or some time even printing it on business cards. And Abeka Bonney Photography is not the most professional sounding address out there You could register your own domain like www.abekabonney-photography.com, or similar. Some free hosting services (like wordpress.com) allow you to use your own domain. It's pretty affordable ($18 per year for your own domain) and what I did when I created my photography blog + portfolio website.

Lastly, the 'Infants and kids' section only has two images in it. I don't think that's enough to warrant its own section, so either fill it up with more images (if you have some), or take it out. Right now it conveys the message to potential clients that you have very little experience shooting kids.

I hope this didn't sound too harsh Other than the above your site is pretty nice.
Thanks for the website address suggestion. I think that is a great domain name. I will look into wordpress hosting services.
Yes I hope to fill up the kids and infants section soon. I have had some clients lately and waiting to do that when they give the permission.
You are right. That it gives client that I have little experience shooting kids. And that is exactly what I tell my people when the approach me about shooting kids.
I dont want to raise their expectation of what they get because shooting kids is not easy. And not having a studio makes it even more difficult.,

Nope you did not sound too harsh and Thanks for your feedback

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 07:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mag07 Quote
You have some lovely photographs so best of luck with the project!
Thanks. Much appreciated comment.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 07:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ant11sam Quote
I liked your site very much!
Nice photos as well!
Good Luck
Hahaa. Thanks.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 08:02 ----------

I see that this thread has been moved to the professional section. I almost posted the thread here.

But I thought, I am not a professional. Far from it so let me post to general section.

Interesting where it ends up again.