Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cosina discontinuing the Voigtlander Bessa line

Sadly one of very few film rangefinder makers are exiting that market and now Leica will basically be alone in the market. The lack of sales is most likely due to the mirrorless boom and Leica taking the rest of the market since they are citing increased sales of film cameras.
Voigtlander Rangefinder Cameras Are No More

10-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Zeiss Ikon is still in production ( I think). The Voigtlander Bessa cameras are decent entry level Rangefinder cameras, the wide range of mounts meant that lenses from discontinued cameras could be used. Even though I have never used a Bessa, it is still sad to see this happen.
10-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Unfortunately the Zeiss Ikon has been discontinued some years ago.
10-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Sadly one of very few film rangefinder makers are exiting that market
Sadly, one of the last makers of 35mm film cameras period. There will continue to be some production of R3M and R4M models through the remainder of the year and presumably the Nikon FM10 will still remain as the only film camera in active production by Cosina. Along with Cosina, that leaves Nikon and Leica as the last major brands making 35mm film cameras.

Also sad is that the medium format Bessa folders are also discontinued.

Steve

10-04-2015, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Cosina could turn these into simple digital cams. Just add a sensor, SD card slot and some electronics. No LCD, no AF, no fancy nothing. Using a semi-obsolete (but still great) sensor like the 16MP Sony that has made the rounds, .. it should actually be less expensive. just saying~!
10-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Cosina could turn these into simple digital cams. Just add a sensor, SD card slot and some electronics.
Making a digital camera is a little bit more complicated than that.
10-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I dunno. If someone can make a plastic Digital Holga, than I'd think integrating a digital sensor into your product is now a "commodity tech" in the engineering world.

10-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

^ exactly!
10-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
Cosina could turn these into simple digital cams. Just add a sensor, SD card slot and some electronics. No LCD, no AF, no fancy nothing. Using a semi-obsolete (but still great) sensor like the 16MP Sony that has made the rounds, .. it should actually be less expensive. just saying~!
Word has it that Mr. K (top of the totem pole at Cosina) is not fond of the idea of another digital project after the Epson RD-series cameras (essentially digital Bessas). The RD was very cool and nicely implemented, but were rumored to be a pain to make on a profitable basis.

Steve
10-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe Kickstarter or similar would be a good approach? You can check the market before actually producing anything.
10-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Or...simply give these guys some money...

Konost Camera

...to build this...

M-mount, fully manual operation, unique and groundbreaking "digital" rangefinder design.

Steve
10-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But . . . . . . Film.

Jeebus. There's always somebody. We got plenty of digital.
10-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But . . . . . . Film.

Jeebus. There's always somebody. We got plenty of digital.
I guess that makes me biphoteo or something like that. I love working with film and my film rangefinders including my new Bessa R3M, but would really like fully manual digital equivalent as well.

Steve
10-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In regards to the original post and possible reasons for V/C's actions...It occurred to me that for the last couple of years Copal has been quietly stopping production of there mechanical shutter lines. Might it be that V/C is no longer able to source that critical part?

Steve