Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what do you use for a model release?

So, I have an unappealing task to carry out: find a particular flea market vendor at a particular flea market in Paris, get that man to sign a model release (in French), and then keep that release for when I use his photo. First task: decide on a model release, which I will then get translated into French. What do you use for a model release? (My wife knows some Parisians who might be kind enough to find the man and get his signature.....)

10-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most stock sites have forms you can use. I got one from there and edited it to have my company name/address etc on it. I guess if you really wanted to do it right you would hire a lawyer to write one for you but that would likely exceed the profit of the image
There are some sample release forms on this page: Releases for People & Property | Alamy
10-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've made mine from different releases: I started with a stock one, and then adjusted adding and removing parts, making a new release every time the envroinment changed.

Consider also some smartphone apps, which have some sort of model release, but my advises are:
-read entirely the form you have found, in any single part,
-don't take anything for granted, specify every single thing.
10-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Not to open a can of worms here, but French law is very different than American law, and even Quebec law.
You might want to by reviewing this Google search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=French+model+release

Good luck, and hope it's worth it.

10-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Why do you need a model release? If he is in public which as a flea market trader he presumably is you don't need a release even for commercial use, unless the frech laws are different?

Hmm, just read the link above, maybe you do need one, good luck with that,if he is like UK ones he won't be legit tax wise and won't want it

Let us know how you get on, for future reference for us all

Last edited by adwb; 10-18-2015 at 11:32 PM.
10-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I submit the image to a contest of a commercial magazine, as I am considering, I will need a release (for the magazine).
10-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yes you will then, does the magazine get published in france? and are you in france, seem a bit of a carry on given your tag address is i the USA
10-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
yes you will then, does the magazine get published in france? and are you in france, seem a bit of a carry on given your tag address is i the USA
No, I'm in the US. But one magazine I'm thinking of has international reach, even if not published in France: Pop Photo

Not sure what you mean by "seem[s] a bit of a carry on...." If a magazine needs a release to publish the photo, and if the subject is in France, then I would need someone to find him and get him to sign a release (in French). No?

10-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Understood if your publication has sales in the subjects country, look like you have little choice, good luck, with your entry
10-20-2015, 05:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a French-language model release form that I can provide to you if you wish (French is my first language). It's phrased mostly for studio work, but if you do provide the image to the fellow, it will work.
10-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have a French-language model release form that I can provide to you if you wish (French is my first language). It's phrased mostly for studio work, but if you do provide the image to the fellow, it will work.
Much obliged. Do you mean, I should provide a print to the gentlemen as "payment" for his signature?
10-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Much obliged. Do you mean, I should provide a print to the gentlemen as "payment" for his signature?
Send me your email address for the file.

I'm not saying that. My form relates to studio contracts that I perform. So the text says the person being photographed has the right to use the images, but the photographer does also, as long as it's not harmful to the subject. Essentially, if you want to avoid rewriting stuff, offer the person access to the digital file and you're done.