Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The profit motive wasn't my point in and of itself, and you took that part of my post out of the contex. And the context was important, since generally speaking I have no problem whatsoever with the profit motive in business. The difference between the news business and other businesses is that the news business pretends to be objective, when they clearly are not. And an alarming number of people take the news at face value.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Ohh yes, making money is important. But how it is made is equally important, do you think that Turing pharmaceuticals jacking up the price of an old medication, one they incurred no R&D costs on up 5500%, do you think that is reasonable? justifiable?
Words have meaning. Please pay attention to my words. I said "generally speaking" that I have no problem with the profit motive in business. Generally speaking. That means not always. In other words, sometimes I would have a problem with how profits are being made. So there's really no need to take a confrontational tone and challenge me to justify how Turing pharmaceuticals priced their medication.

Of course it's easy to find examples where the ethics of a given business decision are questionable. You pointed out the pharmaceutical industry, but you could include the entire medical industry in there also. Sure, it can be reasonably argued that without people having the opportunity to make good money, we wouldn't have as many advances in medicine, but there is a balance that needs to be struck.

12-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Words have meaning. Please pay attention to my words. I said "generally speaking" that I have no problem with the profit motive in business.
I know you were speaking in a general sense.

Of course it's easy to find examples where the ethics of a given business decision are questionable.
That is largely a source of my continued disillusionment over other areas of industry. Many people think that the fashion industry ( which I work in) is inherently dishonest, if you know what to look for the lies are there, easy to see. In many places the lies aren't so easy to see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
To use Turing as an example his actions lead to a huge backlash and a company call Imprimis is about to release a version of the drug that cost less than a $1 per pill and is more effective.
When that was announced, I couldn't help but laugh.

So there's really no need to take a confrontational tone and challenge me to justify how Turing pharmaceuticals priced their medication.
I was just using it as an example of the price of recklessly pursuing profit, over being objective and a decent human being. I wasn't exactly expecting you to justify the price hikes Turing pharmaceuticals (I don't think anyone could, or would want to.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nobody goes into journalism for the money. Wages are low an unemployment is high.
Indeed it is, however I have seen a number of freelance journalists that are copying the formulaic sensationalist approach in order to keep up with the well funded media conglomerates.
12-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
When that was announced, I couldn't help but laugh.
Competitor Offers Equivalent To Turing's Scandalous $750 Pill For Just $1 | Zero Hedge