Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2015, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #16

Hi Panonski, I'm an amateur but I can say that I have experienced quite some different photography gear. I had the Nikon D70s and the D700, which for me is still a very solid camera, but I decided to sell my FF system because of its weight. Then came the M4/3 and I started with the OMD EM5, and while its IQ is certainly not better than the FF, especially at high ISO settings, I was more than pleased with the IQ/Weight ratio. So I've invested in more M4/3 glass and I can tell that I've owned a lot, to finally keep only 2 lenses (the 75mm f1,8 and the 40-150mm f2,8). I think that the Olympus is a good system as it packs a lot of features and allows you great creativity (I'm thinking for example at the LiveComp Mode).
But after I tried the K3, because it was praised by the reviews. And it certainly not disappoint. I resisted many times not to sell it because of some nice FF bodies (Nikon D750) which for me offers a good value for price. But when I use my K3, whether with my 16-85 WR, 100 macro WR or 300+TC, I can produce exceptionally good images. I love the micro contrast of the pictures and I can see the differences with the 16 Mpx of the Olympus.
So for me, the K3 is more than capable for pro work. The only thing it could have been better at, is the High ISO settings, comparing it with my D700 at 6400 ISO... but I'm comparing 12Mpx FF with 24Mpx APS-C...
To sum up, my K3 is definitely a keeper. Love the feel, the ergonomics, and the IQ.

10-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Dear guys, thank you all on your answers...

I'm photographeur for a quite long time, and yes... I would certainly agreed with thinking the smaller, weaker, cameras can pair shots from them with much more expensive gear sometimes

I have a lot of extra ordinary pictures even from old Sony Ericcsson phones with 2; 3,2 and 8 Mpix...Of course, if you know how to use your equipment, your pics will be good.
I remember in that time, people almost refused to believe that I shot WOW stuff with phone. That's how good those pics were look like.

After that I bought Ricoh GX 200, and have my first exibition, and people again was shocked with 40-60 cm printed pics, and little Ricoh in my hand. Everybody were expected some "more serious" camera. In printed pics was few from old sony phone 2 mpix, and you just can't believe it, the difference was minimal, and I was the only one who knew )...

After Ricoh, I was again targeted to small size camera with good IQ, and I bought Oly Pen 5, with extraordinary body, IQ, and hole system is brilliant.
Ok, at high very ISO levels you cannot expect much, but for serious stuffs, in studio, with enough light you can produce excellent results.

---

My next step was to buy "more serious" camera, but then again, I don't want full frame, because I don't feel like I really need it. I never liked big bulky cameras, and I can see here, at micro4/3 system with 16 Mpix - it's almost enough for everything.

People forget that most pics are never printed in size that covers such a big resolution, and printers also have their own dpi limits. BUT....

----

But I was needed decent glass for my pen, and when I realized how much more I must spend, to get camera well used in PRO terms, I started to wonder is it worth it.
Suddenly I came across to review of K3, and when I saw the price with kit lens, and samples, I was hooked.

My Pen 5 is very solid performer, but I was needed one more body, with more quality in higher ISO, and MPix, and you have the extra space for croping your pics.

So,
My question here was not, CAN K3 produce quality, but Does anybody pick that camera for pro work.

---------- Post added 10-27-15 at 03:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 18-55 kit lens isn't often used by pros.

What kind of photography?

Kit lens 18-55 review was not so bad, so I believe that could be enough capable for start. I would surely invest some money in quality glass, but spend my money wisely.

Personally I'm used to work with zoom lens, and I like when I'm capable to zoom in, and out of the scene. Then again I realise that zoom lens have less sharpness, and I like to nail the sharpness.

My golds for the future is to work some modeling stuff, I already shots some things with Pen 5, Kit lens 14-42, and I'm pleased with results. Nothing spectacular, but if I had a better glass, it would be much much better.

I would like to use Pentax K3 for portarits, weddings, pro modeling maybe - with good glass, fashion.

Last edited by panonski; 10-27-2015 at 09:00 AM.
10-27-2015, 05:46 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Inactive Account

I think there is too much emphasis on "camera" and too little on "photographer".

When people buy your photographs/hire you to shoot they are buying your VISION. They are willing to pay you money so that they could see they way you see the world.

Nobody gives a crap about your gear. Chase Jarvis, Jerry Ghionis produced award winning shots with an iPhone.

It is all about the vision.
10-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I think there is too much emphasis on "camera" and too little on "photographer".

When people buy your photographs/hire you to shoot they are buying your VISION. They are willing to pay you money so that they could see they way you see the world.

Nobody gives a crap about your gear. Chase Jarvis, Jerry Ghionis produced award winning shots with an iPhone.

It is all about the vision.
totally agree with that

10-27-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I would like to use Pentax K3 for portarits, weddings, pro modeling maybe - with good glass, fashion.
you'd love the K3 for these tasks, the tamron 28-75 might suit you better, it is not expensive at all and a really good glass !!!
10-27-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you were mostly happy with the 14-42 on the Pen you should try the 18-135 or 16-85 on the K-3. They're better "kit" lenses, much better IQ than the 18-55 and closer to the zoom range you're used.

For people, portraits, weddings, etc, it's worth buying the DA* 50-135 f2.8. Optically it's one of Pentax's best lenses and one of the best 'people' lenses ever made. It's just a fantastic piece of kit that's worth buying in to the Pentax system just to use.
10-28-2015, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I echo a lot of people's sentiment here. K3 is more than capable as a "professional" tool, same goes with most cameras in the market. At the end of the day, it's all about your vision as a photographer.
95% of the work in my portfolio was created with the K3. The rest with older Pentax.
10-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
I echo a lot of people's sentiment here. K3 is more than capable as a "professional" tool, same goes with most cameras in the market. At the end of the day, it's all about your vision as a photographer.
95% of the work in my portfolio was created with the K3. The rest with older Pentax.
thank you dear Maximus, your work is brilliant... Lots of passion and art in there, I like your moving subjects frozen with flash sometimes

10-29-2015, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
thank you dear Maximus, your work is brilliant... Lots of passion and art in there, I like your moving subjects frozen with flash sometimes
No problem, mate. Good luck with your endeavor. And thanks for the compliment.