Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax K3 for professional use

Hi,

I'm assuming that I'll jump into the Pentax world soon with new Pentax K3. Currently I use only my Olympus microfourthird format with 16 Mpix, and I've seen a lot of usage with it in PRO use....

Somehow, I decided not to invest in microfourthird anymore, but rather I'll buy for price of one better glass, hole new Pentax K3 with 18-55 kit lens.

I red bunch of reviews before I decided to invest my money into this camera, and I kindly hoping it will produce better samples then my microfourthird right now, specialy in terms of low noise at higher ISO values.

---

Question - Does anyone here or elsewhere use Pentax K3 for pro shotting.

---

Maybe this question isn't the right one, because PRO's always use best equipment, but I'm just curious about that... So long, after all I've red about this camera, it surely can deliver excellent results... And I think, it's definitely capable for PRO use

Thank you all

Last edited by panonski; 10-26-2015 at 04:22 PM.
10-26-2015, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use my K-3 professionally for my personal work. I also use a Canon 5dmarkII at my 9-5 job. I much prefer the Pentax.
10-26-2015, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

The "pro" term gets thrown around a lot like there is a homogeneous, single standard for what constitutes "professional" photography.
Some pros shoot sports, some shoot fashion, some shoot weddings, some shoot food, some shoot wildlife, some shoot stars, some shoot crime scenes etc etc.
All of those genres have different requirements. Some require topnotch autofocusing, some you don't require autofocus at all. Some require the use of a tripod, and others, you want to be more mobile. Some require studio lighting, others use all natural lighting.

The point I am trying to make is that well all have different desires and needs, and we should buy accordingly.
10-26-2015, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
Maybe this question isn't the right one, because PRO's always use best equipment
Pros use the equipment that suits how and what they shoot. Sometimes that gear is crap from a durability perspective. Sometimes that gear is not the most versatile or may not have the best ergonomics. Sometimes that gear is not in any way, state of the art.

In regards to your question, yes people do use the K-3 professionally to make money.

Steve

(...not a pro, but likes to think that the gear list would not grow or change much should people start offering money for the work...)

10-26-2015, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi,

I'm assuming that I'll jump into the Pentax world soon with new Pentax K3. Currently I use only my Olympus microfourthird format with 16 Mpix, and I've seen a lot of usage with it in PRO use....

Somehow, I decided not to invest in microfourthird anymore, but rather I'll buy for price of one better glass, hole new Pentax K3 with 18-55 kit lens.

I red bunch of reviews before I decided to invest my money into this camera, and I kindly hoping it will produce better samples then my microfourthird right now, specialy in terms of low noise at higher ISO values.

---

Question - Does anyone here or elsewhere use Pentax K3 for pro shotting.

---

Maybe this question isn't the right one, because PRO's always use best equipment, but I'm just curious about that... So long, after all I've red about this camera, it surely can deliver excellent results... And I think, it's definitely capable for PRO use

Thank you all
Here's a collection of stories from our pro members:

Pentaxian Profiles | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2015, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pros use the equipment that suits how and what they shoot. Sometimes that gear is crap from a durability perspective. Sometimes that gear is not the most versatile or may not have the best ergonomics. Sometimes that gear is not in any way, state of the art.

In regards to your question, yes people do use the K-3 professionally to make money.

Steve

(...not a pro, but likes to think that the gear list would not grow or change much should people start offering money for the work...)
True. I've used the original Pentax Q for a shot in the Baseball Hall of Fame catalog. Its clearly not the best tool for the job, nor the most durable. They used it for a full page shot. Its about what you can deliver.
10-26-2015, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-55 kit lens isn't often used by pros.

What kind of photography?

10-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

because PRO's always use best equipment, but I'm just curious about that
Pros don't always use the best equipment. They do use the equipment that lets them do the job in the best and most economical way. If that's a 5 year old Canon rebel and the kit lens then that's fine. Enthusiast spend money on gear because they want to, pros don't spend money that doesn't return money.

That said the k-3 is more than good enough for so called 'pro' work unless the client thinks a FF camera will magically make the images better.
Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock
https://creativemarket.com/johntrax
10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pros don't always use the best equipment. They do use the equipment that lets them do the job in the best and most economical way. If that's a 5 year old Canon rebel and the kit lens then that's fine. Enthusiast spend money on gear because they want to, pros don't spend money that doesn't return money.

That said the k-3 is more than good enough for so called 'pro' work unless the client thinks a FF camera will magically make the images better.
Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock
https://creativemarket.com/johntrax
I think you are over generalizing.
I wouldn't consider the K-3 more than good enough if I were a NFL sideline photographer.
10-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wouldn't consider the K-3 more than good enough if I were a NFL sideline photographer.
True. I would not either which is why I put the quotes around 'pro' Still, my k-3 (and the k-5 before) have made me a nice sum. Whether that qualifies as 'pro' is open to debate. For what I do, it is more than good enough, for some other genre, maybe not. Which is why I added the links to show the results.

But I agree, that was a general statement and I freely admit there are numerous exceptions.
10-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well apparently there are people using Fijifilm X series camera's for pro work. APSC only, so a Pentax K3 is definitely equal if not better than an X-T1.

Also, be aware that studio photographers are often shooting at F4 or slower. An entry level camera can do studio work if the photographer is skilled. You see plenty of examples of people using a full frame camera with a lens stopped down to F8 (F5.6 APS-C equivalent). Certainly easy enough to do with a K3, even a K-S2 or K5 if that matters.

Howie Be
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
True. I would not either which is why I put the quotes around 'pro' Still, my k-3 (and the k-5 before) have made me a nice sum. Whether that qualifies as 'pro' is open to debate. For what I do, it is more than good enough, for some other genre, maybe not. Which is why I added the links to show the results.

But I agree, that was a general statement and I freely admit there are numerous exceptions.
I think your work is quite fine and can be considered pro quality
I guess my point was that there are so many pro genres, that there will never be a single option that is best for them all.
10-26-2015, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I guess my point was that there are so many pro genres, that there will never be a single option that is best for them all.
True enough. I answered the OP from my frame of reference without considering what his needs might be. The k-3 is definitely capable of use for some pros, anyway. And even me. Even Kenspo seems to do OK with it But then I suspect he would turn out good work with a brownie. But it would not be suited to some things, pro sports definitely one. Long range wildlife is another area it might not excel at, but because of the scarcity of long glass rather than the camera itself.
10-26-2015, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #14

you can do lots of pro work on many cameras, the question to buy a camera does it work for you in getting the images you need.
10-26-2015, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

The k3 is a supremely capable camera and the better Pentax lenses, namely the DA* and limited, are outstanding. It's a fantastic system for image capture with very very few drawbacks.