Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Western Digital announces plan to acquire SanDisk

You can read that here:

Western Digital announces plan to acquire SanDisk: Digital Photography Review

Will that make a difference in quality of the famous Sandisk products?

10-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is doomed!!!! Sandisk is the best SD card for them and now WD will own them and muck it up.

(Just kidding...)

I don't know if we will see any difference in Sandisk products. Western Digital makes good stuff in their other lines of business.
10-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Pentax is doomed!!!! Sandisk is the best SD card for them and now WD will own them and muck it up.

(Just kidding...)

I don't know if we will see any difference in Sandisk products. Western Digital makes good stuff in their other lines of business.
Yes WD does good stuff .... just wondering what "impact" this will have.
I have been using Sandisk SD cards for quite some time and thus far they are the best (for me).
Hopefully, they will merge two excellent companies into one which will continue providing quality product(s).
10-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #4

I can't trust Western Digital's products the way I can trust SanDisk flash nand, but that may be because hard disk drives are much more prone to defects and failures than flash memory in general, but I do hope they keep the same level of quality that SanDisk has provided. Of coarse, SanDisk's prices are much higher than competitors. If I was a professional I would likely stick with SanDisk, but as a consumer I've found that Samsung cards are very reliable, cheaper, and match SanDisk's read/write speeds. I also use many of the other brands like Patriot, PNY, and Kingston, and while they often have poor write speeds, they are plenty good enough to take pictures with.

10-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

I've never been a big fan of sandisk. lexar i think makes a superior/more reliable product for a few bucks cheaper. they are definitely better for video purposes in particular iirc
10-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #6

does toshiba still mfg nand? since they invented it?
10-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elementdtlop Quote
I've never been a big fan of sandisk. lexar i think makes a superior/more reliable product for a few bucks cheaper. they are definitely better for video purposes in particular iirc
Idk, i have a Lexar SD ( Professional x1000) and the construction is kinda flimsy, like a mini "click" when i grab the SD, and my Sandisk ExtremePro feel very solid.... both work very well, the lexar being faster, but that squeek sound, make me believe it will break somehow

10-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well if you can't beat 'em . . . . . . . . . . . . buy 'em.
10-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Idk, i have a Lexar SD ( Professional x1000) and the construction is kinda flimsy, like a mini "click" when i grab the SD, and my Sandisk ExtremePro feel very solid.... both work very well, the lexar being faster, but that squeek sound, make me believe it will break somehow
weird i haven't encountered an issue like that with mine. i have last generations 600x though. i just remember having issues with sandisk cards in the past(probably not the best ones) and when i bought a go pro everyone said pny or lexar because sandisks had trouble keeping up and would stop the video mid recording randomly. the pny was more expensive iirc so i went with the lexar micro sd and it worked wonderfully. never had any issues with it handling the video.
11-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Diversity is the key to survival, and on that basis the acquisition of SanDisk by ANY company also making storage media seems an unwise move to me.