Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 01:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For-Profits report Profit. They share Profit with government in the form of tax, then share what's left with owners in one form or another.

Non-profits report Revenue In Excess Of Expenses.They share Excess Revenue with no one.

Non-Profit sharing was intended to be 'accomplishing the social mission' they've declared.

Nat Geo forgot about the social mission part.
Exactly the same thing that I was pointing out. They went after the same market as Murdoch and got eaten by Murdoch.

11-06-2015, 03:05 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For-Profits report Profit. They share Profit with government in the form of tax, then share what's left with owners in one form or another.

Non-profits report Revenue In Excess Of Expenses.They share Excess Revenue with no one.

Non-Profit sharing was intended to be 'accomplishing the social mission' they've declared.

Nat Geo forgot about the social mission part.
Then you have the NFL - who share the excess revenue with no one (other than themselves), with really have no socially redeeming mission - other than enriching themselves....

11-06-2015, 03:38 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no idea about National Geographic, but non-profits stick in my craw. Many of them turn a tidy profit and do minimal social good and just "reinvest" most of the profit in themselves. The NFL is the worst case. It is an organization which tolerates all types of corrupt behavior as long as its owners make more money and pays its commissioner 40 million dollars a year and still has a non-profit status. Most hospitals fall into the same category and while some do social good, it still feels like their focus is making money. I have no problem with their being a non-profit status, but the bar needs to be higher on whether a particular organization really meets it.
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

The only parts of NG that have value are the archives and the name brand. A lot of the work has been done by independent contractors for years. It think its funny that people actually care who owns NG. If they publish content you want, buy it. If they don't publish content you want, then don't buy it. I've never had a subscription to NG. Never cared who owned them or their tax status. Still don't.

11-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Even though non profit isn't about making money for Share holders, they can still pay the people who run the company a handsome amount.

Randy
12-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I'd just like to point out that there haven't been significant layoffs at National Geographic Magazine. There was a substantial layoff affecting the entire National Geographic Society, but as far as I know you can count the number of job losses at the magazine on one hand.
12-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I'd just like to point out that there haven't been significant layoffs at National Geographic Magazine. There was a substantial layoff affecting the entire National Geographic Society, but as far as I know you can count the number of job losses at the magazine on one hand.

These are the lucky ones, MrFox ... they will have generous severance conditions because Murdoch's not yet in control.

Once the new bosses are at their desks, they'll have to work out what to do with the magazine - and whether they retain or onsell it, employees will need to be laid off.

12-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a subscription to it for almost 40 years. I gave it up several years ago as a lot of the articles became fluff. One stand out above all the rest. Some person rambling on about living in Oregon or something. I'm still not sure what exactly the article was about. It simply made no sense. It was like they were trying to come off as someone who was so deep and esoteric that us mere mortals could never understand him anyway, I have no idea how it made it into the magazine.

The photographs used to accompany the story. Then they became the story with only a few words of explanation.

FWIW I have started reading newspapers and magazines again. Trying to read anything on the web has become impossible. Pop ups, flash ads, the pages jumping around while crap vies for your attention. Screen freezes while all the ads finish loading etc. It is quite frankly just easier to open the paper or magazine and read what you want.
12-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Trying to read anything on the web has become impossible. Pop ups, flash ads, the pages jumping around while crap vies for your attention. Screen freezes while all the ads finish loading etc. It is quite frankly just easier to open the paper or magazine and read what you want.
AdBlock and Ghostery...
12-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

FWIW I have started reading newspapers and magazines again. Trying to read anything on the web has become impossible. Pop ups, flash ads, the pages jumping around while crap vies for your attention. Screen freezes while all the ads finish loading etc. It is quite frankly just easier to open the paper or magazine and read what you want.
The reputable online news outlets usually have non-intrusive ads, and AdBlock gets rid of almost everything annoying.
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW I have started reading newspapers and magazines again
Yes. You can hold a print mag or paper in your hand and just read. A tablet held portrait is too heavy.