Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Outdoor Photo Magazine Submission Help

I feel like I have a pretty good portfolio and I want to start trying to sell to Magazines or at least try and get some published. For outdoor/adventure magazines, who do you guys have success with? What magazines are really nice to work with and do you just email the magazine?

11-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

a few weeks ago i saw a rate sheet for a magazine, but it wasn't a rate sheet for prints, it was rate sheet that paid the photog based on how many views the photo got on the instagram(?) feed that the magazine put out.

of course once it's on instagram, anyone can steal it, and the photographer won't get paid for that, unless perhaps he sees his photo on another companies feed, and sends 'em an invoice.
11-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can submit photos to Outdoor Photographer and they may publish them. I don't think they pay for them, it's a way to get seen. I've submitted a few and they have not been published in the magazine, but one got into their online calendar.
11-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would suggest getting the book "Photographer's Market". It provides the most practical information about galleries, agents, magazines, publishers, price ranges (how much they pay), and more.

---------- Post added 11-22-15 at 10:29 PM ----------

Even if you can get and look through any older editions from your local library, it'll still give you a good starting place.

11-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm

I dont know whats happened to all the photo competitions ?

As for selling photo's , The general feeling I get is you need to be a name ! , otherwise your just a grain of sand on a beach !

You can try several of over a dozen photo selling web sites ( Shutter Stock and such ) ..

Or polish your writing skills and start submitting photo stories ( Articles ) , so if you go bush walking , or your a mountain biker , or you like para gliding or what ever !
So a decent story with some of your better photo's could be a foot in the door .

Unless your looking for that inside cover shot ( back or front page ) in which case you'l be up against name photographers ...
Just depends , you could try photographing action sports ( Moto-X , go carts , Car Racing , etc )
Just depends on what your interests are , and maybe push that aspect .

You would probably do better with a photo story , so maybe a micro voice recorder to keep track of what you are photographing , and some great shots .

The other way is to perhaps win a photo competition ! ( great way of making a name for yourself )