Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help: Licensing for Children's Book

Hi all,

I have been contacted by the author of a series of children's books, who would like to use one of my photos (which he found through Flickr) in one of his books. The author's books help children learn about the diversity of animal species, and photography is an important component in them, with each species typically accorded two pages, one of which is a full-page photo. The books are not expensive (around $US7-10 each) and the author claims to be making under $0.50 per book sold.

I'm not averse to licensing my photo(s) for this book, but have no idea how much I should be asking for, or what terms I should be using. I'm an (improving, I hope) amateur and publish at medium resolution on Flickr under a non-commercial, share-alike license (my stream is right here). Obviously, use in a commercial book is not appropriate under this license, and the author would like the full resolution file. The publisher appears to be UK based, and I think only produces hardcopy - at least I can't find any e-books.

Can anyone provide any advice?

12-03-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

You could simply ask how much his publisher would be willing to pay, then accept, decline or negotiate from there.

Here's a little article by a professional landscape photographer on how he goes about pricing for and negotiating with magazines:

http://www.alexnail.com/blog/articles/pricing-for-magazines/
12-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You could simply ask how much his publisher would be willing to pay, then accept, decline or negotiate from there.
Thanks for this, and the very informative link. Since the author has published a whole series of books, that was my approach - ask what is their standard rate. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from the author since. Perhaps "free" is the only thing he wanted to hear? If that's the case, he can use someone else's photos...