Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #61

This seems like a joke. Strange!

12-12-2015, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
This seems like a joke. Strange!
I actually think it's really funny. The idea is actually quite brilliant. But that he had the nerve to execute it, even if I thought of it, I never would have done it. Of course I would have tried contacting all the people and getting permission, which probably would mean it would never get done.

There are times when the only thing more repulsive than walking in a grey area like this without permission, is messing around trying to get permission, and then not getting the project done at all. The notion that the whole thing has no merit, I reject outright.
12-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The idea is actually quite brilliant.
The notion that the whole thing has no merit, I reject outright.
I agree. I think it's a very intelligent concept, a very bold process, and is displayed in a way that is wonderfully shameless and in your face.
12-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #64
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've read it all....ethics, moral values, and my thought is.....how many here that are criticizing are really thinking "I wish to hell I had thought of that and made a fortune!"???

Anyhow, Otis didn't even have to think twice.......on top of all that cash, he gets the coveted Otis Award for Big Brain thinking!

Regards!

12-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've read it all....ethics, moral values, and my thought is.....how many here that are criticizing are really thinking "I wish to hell I had thought of that and made a fortune!"???

Yes, exactly. I alluded to this in post No. 5 above, but I was talking about the Campbell soup can label at the time. Nonetheless, the thought applies to just about anything where I observe someone paying obscene amounts of money for what I think is a worthless piece of artistic junk.

Have you ever tried to sell Otis? Maybe you should. You never know, you might find some rich dude that just has to have a (much) larger than life image of the handsome devil.
12-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Have you ever tried to sell Otis? Maybe you should. You never know, you might find some rich dude that just has to have a (much) larger than life image of the handsome devil.
Actually, I did once have an offer from a rich lady that adored squirrels. She offered me $5K for all my squirrel shots and the rights to any squirrel shots I might take in the future. She was sort of looney, but she did have the cash and offered up her attorney to draw a contract. That's not much cash, and my Mom is already rich with gas wells..... I could see a hassle coming in "future shots".......just not worth the trouble. Otis is not a squirrel you would be wise to sell anyhow, there is only one like Otis. People here would miss him...like a rotten tooth!

Regards!
12-16-2015, 04:34 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I have received snarky comments in the forum many times because I usually watermark shots. After reading this, a guy making millions stealing peoples snapshots off social media, I make no apologies for my watermarks. Actually, I should probably make them bigger and more noticeable, rather than put them off in the corner. Not that it would do any good as the courts consider his work fair use. I wonder if he would sue if someone took a picture of one of his "fair use" works and printed "Stolen Shit" in big letters across the front and displayed it publicly?

12-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have received snarky comments in the forum many times because I usually watermark shots. After reading this, a guy making millions stealing peoples snapshots off social media, I make no apologies for my watermarks. Actually, I should probably make them bigger and more noticeable, rather than put them off in the corner. Not that it would do any good as the courts consider his work fair use. I wonder if he would sue if someone took a picture of one of his "fair use" works and printed "Stolen Shit" in big letters across the front and displayed it publicly?
It's sad to me when someone will post on a 500px or Flickr photo: "How do I save this? Awesome photo." Just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it is free. For the most part I post low res photos, but that wouldn't stop someone from "stealing" them.
12-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #69
Pentaxian

I've had over 7 million hits on some of my images, without receiving even one inquiry. I'm not convinced internet exposure generates sales. People need to see images full size. I have no problem with the fact that some folks take my pictures off the internet and print them, a 1080 actually makes a pretty good 8x10. Clients take the group shots off the web and print them for their walls. Friends find images on line of pictures I've taken on trip that have meaning for them. And every now and then one of them orders a real print because they like the small ones. Honestly, if some one asked for an 8x10 an 1080 file, I'd probably send them the file and ask them to print it themselves. I'm lazy that way.
12-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had over 7 million hits on some of my images, without receiving even one inquiry. I'm not convinced internet exposure generates sales. People need to see images full size. I have no problem with the fact that some folks take my pictures off the internet and print them, a 1080 actually makes a pretty good 8x10. Clients take the group shots off the web and print them for their walls. Friends find images on line of pictures I've taken on trip that have meaning for them. And every now and then one of them orders a real print because they like the small ones. Honestly, if some one asked for an 8x10 an 1080 file, I'd probably send them the file and ask them to print it themselves. I'm lazy that way.
I don't think it does generate sales. But, I think if someone has invested in gear, gone to a special place or taken time with a beautiful model, they should get some sort of remuneration for their effort. Same as what a musician should get paid for their music or an author with their writing.

I'm not a professional photographer and if someone takes a photo of mine, it probably is no skin off my nose, but I am sad to live in a world where the presumption is that a photographer's work is public domain.
12-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #71
Pentaxian

This is all common sense. Artists still don't get paid when their songs are played on the radio. There is such thing as fair use. My rule, is never post anything on the web I don't want to give away. Throwing your pearls before swine and then expecting some court to reward you for your stupid actions is just asking for trouble I'd rather not deal with. I've often thought of having a portion of photobucket where I put images at 2570 x 1400 for people with 27 inch monitors, many images look so much better at that size I hardly recognize them at 1080. But at that size you could make a very nice 11x14 print. So I'll never do it. 8x10s I'll give a way, 11x14s I sell, that's my line in the sand.
12-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all common sense. Artists still don't get paid when their songs are played on the radio. There is such thing as fair use. My rule, is never post anything on the web I don't want to give away. Throwing your pearls before swine and then expecting some court to reward you for your stupid actions is just asking for trouble I'd rather not deal with. I've often thought of having a portion of photobucket where I put images at 2570 x 1400 for people with 27 inch monitors, many images look so much better at that size I hardly recognize them at 1080. But at that size you could make a very nice 11x14 print. So I'll never do it. 8x10s I'll give a way, 11x14s I sell, that's my line in the sand.
But songwriters and publishers get paid when a song is played on the radio. Singers don't make a whole lot on radio or even record/CD sales, they make most of their money off of touring.
12-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But songwriters and publishers get paid when a song is played on the radio. Singers don't make a whole lot on radio or even record/CD sales, they make most of their money off of touring.
But on the radio, you get the whole song in it's original form, and someone else chooses to play it. On the internet, I put up a version that's a pale version of the original, and I put it there. No one's else is selecting my work and posting it. Well the images with the 7 million hits someone selected my work and posted it, on about 40 different "free image" sites, that basically pay for themselves with advertising hits. But, to me, it's advertising. No one pays anyone to accept advertising. You pay for advertising.

And given that these people in these images were engaged in a form of self promotion/advertising, this man could argue they should pay him. He expanded their reach.
12-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Most of the photos I post online are intended to be shared. I do the motorcycle racing shots for the riders. The shots are downsized. I do some prints and make CD's of a racers season for a donation to the charity my motorcycle ride group supports. I expect my shots to be shared and I don't concern myself too much but I do want it known that they are my photos. I will be royally pissed if I find someone copying and selling them.