Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dream job with the National Park Service

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/422484300

Now where did I put that 4x5 camera I don't own and job experience I don't quite have...

12-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote

Now where did I put that 4x5 camera I don't own and job experience I don't quite have...
A Pentax 67 camera with a 55mm lens (or 45mm if there's an extra couple hundred dollars) might have to do, until you get that 4x5

And that would be a great job, provided you end up in a good park...
12-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

30 years ago, I would have gone for that. Now I have my own park...

Make it 38 years ago. At that point I was still an American citizen, these days, not so much.
12-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote

...and that US passport I don't have

But yeah, I wouldn't mind that one...

12-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
And that would be a great job, provided you end up in a good park...
The location is Washington DC. Looks like most of the work is "materials having historical, architectural or engineering values" for the Library of Congress collection, which is still pretty cool, but working in DC - no thanks.
12-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder why is US citizenship required for this kind of job? It's not like it has any security clearance.
12-08-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most likely because it's for a Federal Agency (National Park Service and the Library of Congress) over any of the jingo rhetoric going on in our current election cycle.

12-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

Any position with the Federal Government requires US citizenship and a background check/security clearance. There are many levels of security clearances. I applied for a temporary position with the US Census Bureau and it required US citizenship as well as a background check/security check from the FBI.

When I worked for the Veterans Administration right out of college I had to get a security clearance too.
12-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
30 years ago, I would have gone for that.
+1 to that. If I were younger, I might dust off the Linhof flatbed and give it a go.
12-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I wonder why is US citizenship required for this kind of job? It's not like it has any security clearance.
all jobs for government require that, even federal contractors who don't need security clearance.
12-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Any position with the Federal Government requires US citizenship and a background check/security clearance. There are many levels of security clearances. I applied for a temporary position with the US Census Bureau and it required US citizenship as well as a background check/security check from the FBI.

When I worked for the Veterans Administration right out of college I had to get a security clearance too.
Permanent residents can get background checks and security clearance too. LPRs can work at places like Jet propulsion lab, so it's surprising they wouldn't be able to work at NPS.
That makes me think it's more likely a matter of politics. Well, it's a huge tangent, let's not change the subject. I was just surprised.

Looks like a very cool job though. I forwarded it to a friend who would have a shot.
12-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of overlapping Appropriations Acts and Executive Order requirements that restrict Federal jobs to citizens (with exceptions of course). It varies depending on the position. I think it would be hard for the Park Service to argue that they can't find a qualified US citizen to fill this position.
12-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
but working in DC - no thanks.
If they provide an armed body guard, it might work, but working alone under a darkcloth on the streets in DC...no thanks. Still though, it would be tempting. I could easily do the job except for the required GS-11 experience. This position most likely has a previously-picked person (worked all last year at GS-11).

Steve

(...dang! GS-12 for taking photos...)
12-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think it would be hard for the Park Service to argue that they can't find a qualified US citizen to fill this position.
I think you are right, that could very well be it. It's not something that's on my mind because in science it is particularly easy to fulfill that requirement.
It's usually just a matter of waiting half a year until the position fails to fill up.
12-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If they provide an armed body guard, it might work, but working alone under a darkcloth on the streets in DC...no thanks.
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." But apart from Congress, it's not that bad.