Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Christmas, bound & gagged...

Photographer Criticized for Christmas Photo Showing Family Bound and Gagged

I didn't see a topic on this already, but it's hit the news media outlets in many countries. Thoughts? What about you? Would you have taken a photo like this?

12-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's tasteless and stupid. It's sexist inasmuch as the message is clearly "Peace on Earth = the girls have finally shut up and can't bother us"/"nagging killjoy women" stereotype, but there are far more malicious foci of sexism and violence against women in the world that are far more deserving of a harsh spotlight (e.g. Boko Haram, ISIS).

Despite its tastelessness and stupidity, it's no reason to go leaving hate messages on the photographer's social media pages. "I think this is tasteless and stupid" repeated umpteen times from as many objectors would be far more useful.
12-20-2015, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is likely funny and ironic assuming the man in the picture is a nice person who is the opposite of what is depicted. Irony is contextual and a loving supportive family posing for this photo together should be allowed to have their fun. At some point in the year a follow up photo with a revenge theme would be perfectly normal and fun.

But social media can get so viral that the joke pushes past people who know the family and know the personalities.

Of course I'm just guessing.
12-20-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a photo that belongs on youarenotaphotographer.com.

It doesn't show "a family that is bound and gagged". It shows only the female family members bound and gagged. The little boy is showing approval...

Bondage and submission of the females. So funny...

12-20-2015, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that context is missing. If you were meant to get this as a Christmas card and know the family, it might be hilarious. Perhaps last year the father & son were tied up. Or just the kids. Or just the parents. Perhaps everyone knows that Marge Bickerson and the girls rule the roost and this would never, never happen. Perhaps Phil Bickerson is a loathsome human being and the kids are already horribly damaged and this is really dark.

Because the photographer posted it without context, she opened herself up to criticism from people who inserted themselves into the context. Some might have valid points. Some need to be told "this isn't about YOU."

Would I have taken the photo? The family requested it. If you are a pro and the customer asks for it, you can try to talk them out of it, but they are the customer, and this is about them, not you. I've seen worse ideas on "you are not a photographer". Would I have suggested such a photo to a customer? Probably not. Although if I had to do family photography, I'd probably think about tying and gagging some of my customers.
12-20-2015, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #6
amp

Got a chuckle out of it. Unfortunately, it's fodder for the eternally offended in our uber sensitive society.
12-20-2015, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People lauded Mapplethorpe's leather fetish photos and "Piss Christ" when shown in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As a conceptual work the photo is a study in provocation and the 'art' is the responses.

12-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't care about the PC aspect; everything is in the eye of the beholder. It's just another example of the need to go "viral" and count the number of hits. It would appear that life has boiled down to this for way too many people.
12-20-2015, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yay, social media, and people taking umbrage so they can feel relevant.

Here's a picture of my cat. Her expression reminded me of the album cover for King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King. By posting this pic, I am not promoting cats, nor the color crimson, nor courts, nor kings, nor schizophrenia, nor awesome music. It's just a damn picture.

12-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People lauded Mapplethorpe's leather fetish photos and "Piss Christ" when shown in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As a conceptual work the photo is a study in provocation and the 'art' is the responses.
The point is valid, but so far as I can tell, neither Serrano's 'Piss Christ" nor Mapplethorpe's bondage photos were shown at The Met. The Met doesn't really go in for the controversial stuff - their biggest controversies seem to be the provenance of some pieces and their suggested admission fee.
12-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

Some people live to feel offended. I see nothing controversial about it. Just a bunch of self righteous individuals bored before Christmas...

Last edited by mag07; 12-20-2015 at 12:10 PM.
12-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It was a poor choice and poorly executed. If the photo had been a stunning work of art, those "micro-abused" by it would find less of a voice to speak against it. When it comes to the work of Maplethorpe and Serrano, the provocative nature gave context to what were otherwise merely well-executed photographs. Without the title, almost no one would guess the significance of Piss Christ. The context becomes another dimension of the art. When my ex-wife's gallery showings were getting shut down by the local sheriff (male nudes photographed by a woman), we had to explain that there was no legal difference between nudes of women and nudes of men, and that the imaginary controversy was the context. We didn't get fined, but we also didn't get to re-hang the photographs. Not all audiences will be receptive to all photographs.
12-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Next Christmas, try a breathable Ball Gag with studded leather collar - for EVERYBODY!
12-20-2015, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's a photo that belongs on youarenotaphotographer.com.
I should not have ventured over there. Makes me feel (slightly) better about (some of) my "photography".

Regarding this picture, I thought about it. I'd feel more inclined to think it was cute or funny if it were just the kids, just the parents or everybody except dad taped up. I get the idea behind it, but this just doesn't have a light hearted feeling to it when I look at it. And that's what's important in any art form. How it makes the observer feel. What it stirs up & provokes.
12-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if it was meant to be comical, its not funny. I not offended, I dont think its degrading, whatever. it's just not funny. things that are funny and comical, like she claims it is, make me laugh, or chuckle or snort slightly. This did nothing. Its a badly executed pboto with not much thought involved other than, hey lets get some cheap tape and a chalkboard. If you are going to execute a joke, don't do it all half-a$$ed, and look like you put 2 seconds of thought into it. Because then people can't tell its a joke. I also think if it was a joke and a request from the family, it probably should have not been posted on her facebook page, but we all know why she posted it, lol, to drive people to her facebook page! My guess is this was not totally a client a request but more of way for her to get her name out there and free advertising and likes.

okay I am amending my post, the tape, ok, but what the heck is the point of hands being bound? are the feet bound too? that seems odd