Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sigma CEO

Interview with the ceo of Sigma.

http://m.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=17817

That looks like a great chap to me. Modern way of leading a company.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 12-29-2015 at 07:46 AM.
12-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting article, thanks for the link Ron.
12-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you posted this, Ron. I've always loved Yamaki-san's interviews (such candor and openness), but this one proves he has excellent taste in music as well. If I could have a sake with any person in Japan... it would be a long list of girl-bands and then Sigma's CEO.
12-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sigma has made a huge turnaround in my opinion. After the SD1 pricing debacle, I've been impressed with what they've been able to do. The dp Merrill series is excellent, and they are leading lens designs ahead of the first-party equivalents.

Now, if they start releasing more of their designs in k mount after the K1 launch, we'll know they're brilliant.

Edit: just realized I didn't comment on the interview. Here's a Google translate snippet that showcases why I think they have been so successful lately:

QuoteQuote:
Traditional Japanese office will be more formal. Perhaps the marketing and product planning team will do first market research, and then make a product planning, then planning to put the project team, and examine whether this is feasible. I'm not sure how much time it will take, but this way is to start from marketing and product planning team. But our situation is that our thoughts are from everyday conversation come, or the engineering department engineers directly to me or the management proposal, I think this is important, because only the engineers know what is feasible, planning On the engineering department would not know what works and what does not, they can only create a concept. So engineering departments to maintain independence and creativity is very important.
"Only the engineers know what's feasible... Talk to him directly... Independence and creativity..." All things that have been pivotal to the recent successes; and a great way to keep the engineers motivated!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 12-28-2015 at 10:21 PM.
12-29-2015, 02:27 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Now, if they start releasing more of their designs in k mount after the K1 launch, we'll know they're brilliant.
There is little reason to restart with that as long as there are to few customers and no other party that shares the extra cost for production and inventory.

I think if Ricoh Imaging is seaking for a future then turning over in a modern communicating company is the only way.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 12-29-2015 at 07:45 AM.
12-29-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There is little reason to restart with that as long as there are to few customers and no other party that shares the extra cost for production and inventory.

I think if Ricoh Imaging is seaking for a future then turning over in a modern communicating company is the only way.
Aw, c'mon Ron, the wink was sarcasm. Besides, we both know the real thing sigma was waiting for was a Pentax APS-H body.
12-29-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ron, do you mean by this that Ricoh should be as communicative as Sigma, or that Ricoh should become a communications manufacturer? I would endorse the former, but not the latter. Too many players in that game as it is, and breaking into it requires the sort of disruptive product release that Apple is famous for. I don't think Ricoh's corporate culture is a good match for that.

Maybe that just means they're doomed…
12-30-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ron, do you mean by this that Ricoh should be as communicative as Sigma, or that Ricoh should become a communications manufacturer? I would endorse the former, but not the latter. Too many players in that game as it is, and breaking into it requires the sort of disruptive product release that Apple is famous for. I don't think Ricoh's corporate culture is a good match for that.

Maybe that just means they're doomed…
I mean the first one. Open and communicating company. Modern product presentation and set the Doors open to your user base.