Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vogue claims you don't need a pro wedding photographer

https://fstoppers.com/originals/vogue-magazine-claims-you-dont-need-professi...grapher-108157

QuoteQuote:
Here's what Vogue had to say with regards to hiring a professional wedding photographer:

It made sense back in the olden days, pre-Facebook albums and Instagram hashtags, when the whole world didn’t have phones with cameras on them. Having the actual leather-bound album on your coffee table seemed like the only evidence that the whole thing actually took place. If social media is not your thing, why not scatter some disposable cameras around the party and let your drunken guests go to town? You’ll end up with hilarious and candid pictures without the pressure of 'likes.'
There's more to it, read the website linked.

01-11-2016, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't read Popular Photography for my fashion tips, I probably won't look to Vogue for photography guidance.

If someone can't afford a pro, this might be a good idea. Better yet, have the disposables, and the pro. With the pro, you get the photos you want to show your kids, with the disposables, you get the photos you can threaten to show to your friends' kids.
01-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess this makes sense if you eloped and had your reception at an Arby's, but if you've spent $20,000 and almost a year of your life planning your wedding, you're going to ignore this article.

My reception is bad so I'm having trouble looking up the original Vogue article, but what's with the idea of doing away with rings?

---------- Post added 01-11-16 at 06:39 PM ----------

Never mind, I just read the Vogue article. It's clearly fluff written by a boho stylist who's trying to generate buzz for her "anti-wedding" wedding boutique. Her wedding gowns retail up to $11k.
01-11-2016, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At long last, Wedding photography is dead. The slaves will at last be free!

01-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
you don't need a pro wedding photographer
Well that's a few folk out of job then...
01-12-2016, 09:29 PM - 3 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
I guess this makes sense if you eloped and had your reception at an Arby's, but if you've spent $20,000 and almost a year of your life planning your wedding, you're going to ignore this article.

[/COLOR] I just read the Vogue article. It's clearly fluff written by a boho stylist who's trying to generate buzz for her "anti-wedding" wedding boutique. Her wedding gowns retail up to $11k.
Suggest an article titled" You Don't Need An Expensive Wedding Boutique , A Good Photoagrapher Can Make You Stunning In A Hand Me Down"
01-13-2016, 03:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Suggest an article titled" You Don't Need An Expensive Wedding Boutique , A Good Photoagrapher Can Make You Stunning In A Hand Me Down"
Exactly!

01-13-2016, 04:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the question is whether most brides want to have a few photos showing themselves in the best possible light or just a bunch of snapshots. You can get married on a budget and for some people photos are truly unimportant, but if they are important to you, it certainly isn't a part of the experience that I would skimp on.
01-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Vogue claims lots of things in that article - I'm surprised they didn't write getting married is overrated too.
01-13-2016, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I'm surprised they didn't write getting married is overrated too
That depends who your partner is...

Don't tell her I said so.
01-13-2016, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

"why not scatter some disposable cameras around the party and let your drunken guests go to town? You’ll end up with hilarious and candid pictures"

I do know people who did this, it was big for a while like 10 or so years ago, and there was a reason it stopped. It never ended up like the brides thought it would. Lots of naked pictures, bathroom pics, feet pictures, blurry pictures and table pictures. After the brides pays for all the development, they tended to get a little peeved. Well, hey, I guess that is pretty hilarious
03-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #12

Can't be bothered reading the article!

I'm not professional, but I did try and fill the role (at a very cheap price!)

The first wedding I got volunteered by my wife to do her brothers wedding. They didn't have much money and aren't photo people; I explained I was in no way the quality of a professional. They said they didn't mind and they were expecting everybody else to take loads of pictures any ways. Guess what? They were happy with my pictures, but hardly anybody else bothered to take any! They'd have had next to nobody if it wasn't me.

The second wedding was my brothers, again no money. A similar philosophy to the first wedding. To be fair, more people did take pictures; but a wedding album full of selfies isn't what brides generally want. There were some nice pictures of the couple walking through confetti appearing on facebook after the wedding... but who organised the shot? Yup, me. There's far more to the pro photographers job at a wedding than just turn up and take pictures. The majority of the work is in the "other stuff" (mainly managing the clients without taking over their day!).
03-18-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Is their a complimentary article "Wedding photographer says "don't bother reading Vogue." " I want to see the full debate, not one side of a stupid argument. Or how about a promise from Vogue, "If you don't use a wedding photographer and you aren't happy with the results, we'll pay for another wedding and the photographer to make sure you get the images you wanted." But then, that would actually be taking some responsibility for their idiocy.

Or how about "Help pay for your wedding photographer, cancel your subscription to Vogue." That one's never going to make the magazine cover.

I should write an article "Anyone who manages their life with advice from Vogue probably needs institutional care. " That would be my take.

Last edited by normhead; 03-18-2016 at 06:14 AM.
03-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Is their a complimentary article "Wedding photographer says "don't bother reading Vogue." " I want to see the full debate, not one side of a stupid argument. Or how about a promise from Vogue, "If you don't use a wedding photographer and you aren't happy with the results, we'll pay for another wedding and the photographer to make sure you get the images you wanted." But then, that would actually be taking some responsibility for their idiocy.

Or how about "Help pay for your wedding photographer, cancel your subscription to Vogue." That one's never going to make the magazine cover.

I should write an article "Anyone who manages their life with advice from Vogue probably needs institutional care. " That would be my take.
Indeed. Perhaps we should send (to Vogue) a link to this thread. Are online comments to Vogue possible?
03-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is probally true for your first marrage..... everybody wants to forget their first marrage....right?