Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Currently, I think in the United States (I know it is different in Europe), Pentax has about the best value out there. You just aren't going to find high quality, metal build lenses like Pentax offers in the 300 to 750 dollar range with most other brands. Sure, you can get third party options for cheaper, but there is something pretty awesome about shooting the limiteds, in particular. Hard to compare them to other brands as the focal lengths, construction, and size are pretty far afield from most of the glass offered by Canon/Nikon/Sony.

More than anything else, I think folks need to buy into systems for glass. If you need a 14-24 f2.8 lens, or a 600mm f4, then you had best buy a different brand (atlhough I guess Pentax is releasing a new wide angle fast zoom in the future), but for most standard purposes, Pentax will have the lenses that most people will want/need.

As far as bodies, I think the biggest thing is that they are designed for photographers. Nice optical viewfinders in every one I have used (even the K-S1) -- except the K-01, dual control wheels, in body shake reduction, and excellent ergonomics all make shooting easy and enjoyable. You don't want your camera to get in the way as you take photos, you want it to be an extension of your arm and your eyes.

Little other features like hyperprogram mode/TAv modes and lots of user modes on the K3 are awfully handy. And if someone is interested in learning to shoot in manual mode, the green button can be a life saver when you get your settings all screwed up.

It has been said in other threads that there aren't any bad cameras out there now and I think that is probably true. But I do think Pentax has some excellent quality gear that won't stand in the way of a photographer getting the photos he/she wants to get.
Agree with Rondec totally. Always thought Pentax was made for photographers its design is intuitive for the sole purpose of traditional photograhy

01-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
To my knowledge none of the other camera makes has a comparable feature.
The closest thing I ever saw/experienced on another system was a specific button on Minolta's Dynax/Maxxum 3xi film camera that had a P on it, which was to take you straight back into program mode if you were in a hurry and had doubts about your settings. If you absolutely HAD to get an "acceptable" shot then and there, you pushed P and then hit the shutter button. It was on the top of the camera. I would have preferred it about where Pentax has the green button now. We all have our particular tastes.
01-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Do you realize that Nikon still doesn't offer user modes that can save all the operating and setting parameters available? That's what I'm reading, and Ken Rockwell aims a fine rant at them over this omission in their latest two announced models. (I know Ken's rants don't suit some tastes, but he knows the Nikon system and doesn't make such major errors.) My Minolta 7D had three user-selected settings back in 2007! But today, you can't lock down consistent user settings that way in Nikon's $6,500 flagship, the D5...That's pretty pitiful, I think.
A slight correction:
  • Nikon Pro cameras (e.g. D3, D4, D5, D800, D500) have "banks".
  • Nikon Amateur cameras (e.g. D7*00, D5*00, D750, D600) have "User modes".
Michael
01-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #49
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the biggest thing is that they are designed for photographers.
I was led onto Pentax by a review (from a very experienced, savvy and brand-neutral reviewer) which said exactly that.

01-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #50

Original Poster
These are all very helpful comments.

Thank you and please keep them coming.

In return, I'll issue a draft analysis of your responses to date later next week to promote any second thoughts or reflections.
01-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMALL, Smaller, smallest...
01-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #52
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
P-TTL it does not work well if bounced with Pentax... Nikon does not have a problem there and it has very predictable results.
bouncing the flash off of the ceiling works with pentax hss... i can't point my expensive sony flash at the ceiling and go beyond the sync speed of the camera body, it's really irritating.

on the other hand, i can't use hss with manual flash power settings on the pentax flash, but hss with manual flash power control does work with the a7r/f60m flash combo, and it also turns off the pre-flash that can cause people to blink their eyes.

phottix has finally released rf flashes/transmitters for the new sony hotshoe; if you were looking at buying pentax for 2016, things like that could be a factor: Phottix Mitros+ TTL Transceiver Flash for Canon

i got the k10d because it was a value proposition, against canikon, but these days all dslr companies have to compete against the cheaper engineering and production costs that mirrorless companies have, in an overall shrinking marketplace.

01-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Some thoughts...
  • System with most available 3rd party lenses
  • System with most available 3rd party accessories (eg underwater housings, etc)
  • Large selection of places to rent lenses
  • Professional Service Offerings
  • System with fast focus camera and lenses
  • System with excellent flash system and accessories
  • System with large market for buying used gear
  • System with large audience to sell your used gear
  • System that gets fast RAW editor support for new cameras
  • System that camera stores support to trade in your camera and lenses for new models
I think those are some things why people select the camera they do as well.
01-15-2016, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Some thoughts...
  • System with most available 3rd party lenses
  • System with most available 3rd party accessories (eg underwater housings, etc)
  • Large selection of places to rent lenses
  • Professional Service Offerings
  • System with fast focus camera and lenses
  • System with excellent flash system and accessories
  • System with large market for buying used gear
  • System with large audience to sell your used gear
  • System that gets fast RAW editor support for new cameras
  • System that camera stores support to trade in your camera and lenses for new models
I think those are some things why people select the camera they do as well.
I agree with most on the list, but there are a few exceptions.
For example, just having a system with the most of anything like lenses or accessories isn't necessarily better if a smaller system is higher quality or more reliable. And I also am not so sure about systems with a large audience to sell used gear. For example, I've noticed Canon owners tend to go through gear the fastest, partly because they seem to get more models and lenses thrown at them and therefore tend to see obsolescence faster. As a photography teacher, the Pentax and Nikon students will stick with much older equipment and often buy used. But I often have students wanting to upgrade their Canons and when I put the word out that they have a perfectly good T3i for a great price, no one bites. But someone is selling an older Nikon D90 or Pentax K-30 and it sells very fast.
01-15-2016, 01:28 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
For example, just having a system with the most of anything like lenses or accessories isn't necessarily better if a smaller system is higher quality or more reliable.
Well, I like Zeiss glass for its warm rendering, for example. And I don't like scrounging and hoping I'll get lucky and find a used one. So something like that surely affects my digital camera purchases. And I do a LOT of trade-ins at the local Pro shop that doesn't accept unpopular cameras and gear.
01-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, I like Zeiss glass for its warm rendering, for example. And I don't like scrounging and hoping I'll get lucky and find a used one. So something like that surely affects my digital camera purchases. And I do a LOT of trade-ins at the local Pro shop that doesn't accept unpopular cameras and gear.
I see. I left LA in 1990 and haven't had access to a local pro shop since. For sure, in your situation that is key which is why, back in the day, I switched from Minolta to Nikon for my pro gear. I am glad, however, to have kept my Pentax for my personal art and they have not gone the way of the Petri, Topcon, Konica, Minolta, Contax, or that they continue to support DSLRs with OVFs.
01-17-2016, 04:25 AM   #57
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Between Canon and Nikon, Canon has the best build quality while Nikon has the best sensors. Pentax has both, and good ergonomics.

I do wonder however if you should comment on AF performance in your guide.
01-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I see. I left LA in 1990 and haven't had access to a local pro shop since. For sure, in your situation that is key ....
Some good news is the 645Z just cracked the ice barrier. The store hasn't had a Pentax rep for a really long time now. But last time I was there I saw a Z on the shelf. I asked if there was a Pentax representative now and he said, no, they bought and stocked it on their own due to popular demand.

So I think Ricoh just has to start supporting what few big camera store that remain to get the Pentax name back in the store. And perhaps some years from now they'll start trading in that gear too. I see used Pentax 67/645 film gear that gets traded in but little to none of used Pentax's APSC cameras.
01-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Include native dng. Makes my workflow easier.
01-18-2016, 09:02 PM - 2 Likes   #60

Original Poster
Summary of Reasons to buy Pentax

As contributions have slowed, it's appropriate to review a summary of reasons offered to consider Pentax by non-Pentax users --- in declining order of mentions.

Built in Shake Reduction/IBIS... 10
Weather sealing at entry level/WR generally 9
Good selection of APS-C crop lenses/DA-limited 9
Ergonomic/camera body layout/intuitive 8
TaV/More functionality/ advanced bracketing. Custom user modes etc) 8
More bang for buck/value for money/price 7
Build quality/device construction/rugged 7
Eccentric, unexpected products/innovative/does not follow the pack/soul 5
Bright pentaprism optical view/100% pentaprism/large 5
Second hand market/legacy lenses/lens compatibility 4
High Quality Prime lens/good range/fast 3
Green button to support pre-A series k-mount 3
Compact 2
Unique lenses (eg fish-eye zoom, limited series) 2
3rd party support for Lenses 2
Dual control wheels 2
User modes 2
PF/community vibe 2

(One mention each below...)
IQ
Competitive lens pricing
Sensor-Shift for static objects
Best in-class sensor/Sony sensors
I like the way lens mount is
Fixed screen
Live View
Low light performance
Evolving system (if I change body all the controls are in place)
Look on non-Pentax/Canikon face users
Coming FF body
Pleased with Ricoh direction
Designed for photographers
Native DNG Raw file

Some members also contributed reasons why Pentax would not be a good reason to go with this year as follows:

Lack of brick & mortar representation 4
Old or poor auto-focus 2
Range of 3rd party lens for k-mount
2 Poor pre-sale and after sales service/support network 2
Poor flash support 2

(One mention each below)
Don't get into a brand cock fight
Inconsistent lens line technology (most FL covered by some of it with old glass)
Lack of good long lenses
No good lens for sport or wildlife
Slow to follow competition
Market share is shrinking/insignificant
Argument can't be decided based on brand -- The best one is the one you are most confortable with
Video
No mirrorless option

In short: If a non-Pentax user asked why someone should consider Pentax this year, the ten strongest reasons appear to be:

• Shake reduction is built-in with all lenses legacy or current
  • Weather sealing of body and (many) lenses available at entry level and above
  • A strong selection of APS-C lenses
  • Ergonomics and intuitive layout
  • Functionality eg TaV, advanced bracketing and customer user modes
  • Value for money
  • Build/rugged especially for the investment
  • Pentax "soul" or innovation
  • Large optical viewfinders; and
  • Strong second hand market and backward K-mount lens compatibility
Critical deal-breakers (based on a more limited number of mentions) were:
  • Hard to find (and handle) Pentax gear at your local store
  • Auto focus is behind competition
  • Poor service support; and
  • Poor flash support
What do you make of these provisional rankings? Is any reason still missing or perhaps misunderstood?

I am keen to incorporate any further observations that should be included with the proposed guide. I'll aim to synthesise these into a more concise set of five general reasons in favor as well note the demurrals (from Pentax users, themselves).