Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Integrating Photo Sales through Shootproof

Every so often, I see questions here about websites and selling your work. Since I just did a major overhaul of my website, I thought I would share my process for those who might be interested in a similar venture.

I have a niche photography business focusing on the landscape and wildlife of Sauvie Island and the Pacific Northwest. My old site was no longer viable, so I created a new one using the Divi Theme on the Wordpress platform. Though I'm still uploading to my gallery, I've finally found a good way to outsource print fulfillment while still maintaining full control of my work and my customer base. I chose Shootproof.com and so far am very happy with that choice. They exist to serve professional photographers and their service showcases the great work they've put toward that goal. As I was integrating my pages to point to my page on Shootproof, I had several questions and they responded immediately by email, even over the weekend.

If you have your own website there are three basic ways to sell work online. I chose my route based on these thoughts:

1. Total DIY: Had an old site and sold my work directly online. Lots of work keeping up with fulfillment and client paperwork. Didn't want that route again.

2. Sell through one of the all-in-ones like Zenfolio, Smugmug, etc: Since I have a website, this didn't appeal. I also planned to sell on Fine Art America but, according to their staff, you can't find out who's buying your work. I like to maintain a personal relationship with my customers, so didn't want to rely solely on that route.

3. Integrate a fulfillment service with your own website and let them do all the printing and paperwork: Bingo! Shootproof has a great setup for reports, pricing, customization, etc.and they've got a great Gallery that's optimized for buying. Also, within this category, you can either: integrate directly (as a sub-domain of your website), wherein the client doesn't ever leave your site, or, you can link your website gallery to one you create on your Shootproof page. I chose the latter, at least to start, because I wanted to get my sales back up as quickly as possible. This may change in the future when I'll look further into the sub-domain issue and decide whether I want to put the work into that. By the way, Shootproof has a nice Lightroom plugin that allows direct uploading to your Gallery there. The cost, too, is really good: they take NO COMMISSION from your sales and charge a very minimal annual fee. It's FREE for up to 100 photos and then inexpensively tiered.

These things are always an issue of balancing the amount of work you want to put in up front vs spending money to have the work done. I like inexpensive (don't we all?) and prefer to keep my overhead low. So far, Shootproof strikes a nice balance for me.

Here are the relevant links:

The Shootproof website: https://www.shootproof.com/

My website: Sauvie Island Images | Portraits of Island Life

Edit: I forgot to mention that you don't have to have your own website to use Shootproof. You can just create your own Gallery on their site.

Last edited by Kath; 02-02-2016 at 11:25 AM.