Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera production trends for 2016.

The camera industry have suffered an important drop in the recent years. Some have even said that cameras will disappear, being replaced by smartphones, other have said that DSLR will disappear, being replaced by mirrorless. It seems that none of this is happening.

Yes, DSLR productions number is dropping, but the speed of this drop is slowing, and I expect a stabilisation this year.. Mirrorless is still growing, but much slower than previously thought. Even compact cameras, which suffered the biggest drop seems to be close to a point where the drop will stop. And this stop can come because of two reason. There are no smartphone with optical zoom, not at least a 3x zoom, and, more important, bridge cameras with exceptional zooms, like 84x, on Nikon P900, or 65x, on Canon Powershot SH 60, offer a range hard to beat in a very portable package. About this, I think will be a good idea if Pentax will make an extremely long zoom bridge camera, similar to those mentioned before.

So, if there are people which are asking if still deserves to invest in a DSLR, or in general, in a camera, I think the answer is yes. The smartphones seems to have reached a technical limit, and their performance are far from DSLR, or bridge cameras.

More data you can find in this article on Lensvid.com:

Infographic shows the status of the camera industry in 2015 mirrorlessrumors

And in this video, from the same source:

02-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The thing that wonders me the most is that the same players are sharing the ever shrinking cake now for years. I think that Samsung is not the last to get out of this game.

For 2016 I guess....
- compact camera sales will dive, but they become more expensive with better sensors, so maybe bring in more money this year.
- mirrorless keeps growing slowly, but is also becoming more expensive per unit.
- dslr wil go down slowly and I wonder if Canon/Nikon keep selling those entry's level camera's at dump prices. If they stop with that (less then 299 euro for camera with lens) then sales in units will go down a bit more.
- lens sales will go down faster, because we simply got more then enough lenses. Some 100 million lenses sold over the past 5-6 years. You can find almost anything second hand now.
02-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you'll still se improvements across the board for all types of cameras, including smart phone cameras. The pace may slow but the improvements will still come. I don't see DSLR's going away either. The advent of phone cameras and mirrorless added competition to the DSLR market for people who just want snaps to post online or print 4x6, but there will always be photographers who want more, and I think the fact that the market changes are starting to stabilize makes sense (it was always going to stabilize somewhere). There may be a little more bleeding before it's all done but I'm confident I'll continue to be able to indulge my CBA till the day I die.
02-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Data used are from CIPA, so I think that Samsung, as well as all non Japanese manufacturers are not included.