Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many "Pro Photographers" are out there?

This guy will burn up and lose it all just to make room for the next guy/gal to fill his shoes...

What happened to art being about culture and emotion and not about money and fame?

02-25-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
People like this usually burn out pretty fast. At least we can hope.

He could probably run for president and do pretty well...
02-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Rats with furry tails!
....and Big Brains for Big Brain Thinking.
02-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sadly, I've known many talented photographers with zero values, morals, ethics. Not having social skills is one thing, but being a good person is way more important than being a good photographer. He shoots with a Canon 5D Mark III....this forum is safe.
This is not a phenomena limited to the photographic world. I've witnessed it in other areas too, especially medical doctors.

02-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
especially medical doctors.
Surgeons in particular I'll bet.
02-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the comments: "he looks like a functional psychopath." :-D
02-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Check this out - photographer with excessive ego

This 'Famous' Photographer is Getting Called Out for His Public Comments
Check this out. It gets even worse: The Jake Olson Rabbit Hole Goes Much Deeper Than “That” Facebook Comment – Resource Magazine

02-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic Dunning–Kruger mindset. In the commercial studios where I work we come across people like this. And I will take this opportunity to point out it isn't just male photographers - there are a fair amount of female photographers who adopt a prima donna persona, and have to one-up everyone in the entire studio: even the studio director. And it is a pain in the soft parts dealing with people like this: they complain about studio hire rates and equipment hire costs - everyone pays the same rate. They try to haggle and barter some sort of agreement as it is such a privilege for the studio to have them working under their roof. They typically go overtime in the studio, typically I leave half an hour of studio time aside for studio set up and break down and I stick to my times. These self styled photographers think it is fair to take up studio time other people have paid for to pack up, and they often leave the studios in a bit of a state*. They rarely hire assistants - they usually rope-in some member of their family to help them...the problem is that they often have no knowledge of photography or working with photographic lighting.

Don't even get me started on their sub-standard technique.

It is a good thing they burn themselves out quickly.

* studios always have a houskeeping policy that all equipment, extension cords, lighting stands etc be returned to their allotted storage places in order for the studio to be ready for the next photographer to use.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-25-2016 at 06:22 PM.
02-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm sure it would do wonders for his career for all his "clients" to get a yellow-highlighted copy of his forums comments.
02-25-2016, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

Holy gosh, what an asshat.

If this guy were an actual professional he would know that nearly everything he is listing that qualifies him as a 'professional' doesn't add up to much, and being with Getty, unless you are on one of their specifically tailored rosters (Reportage) basically just means you're a mildly serviceable photographer who signed a bad contract. Being published in 4 magazines will generally pay your bills for like a month, if you're lucky. His work is a collection of tired eye candy cliches, there's nothing interesting, challenging or lasting about it, and he's not shooting anything of consequence (no interesting stories, no interesting people, no unique approach to anything).

I don't understand the mindset here unless there really is some legitimate delusion or mental illness - no one in this industry is that important and thinking so is absolute nonsense. I used to see (though nowhere to this degree) a savior complex amongst some of my photojournalist colleagues, but let's be real, no one here is a doctor and photography is in general an absolutely selfish pursuit. Most people that I respect, thankfully, can admit this.

On another note, this brings to mind Peter Lik, one of the biggest cons I've seen in awhile though maybe not quite so stupid.

---------- Post added 02-25-16 at 07:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
This is not a phenomena limited to the photographic world. I've witnessed it in other areas too, especially medical doctors.
Yea, very true. My wife works in the field and has seen plenty of interesting egos. Not to excuse them at all, but there is one glaring difference. A jerk of a surgeon is still a person trying to save your life. A photographer...well....
02-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Love a lot about your post, Petrakka, but two great quotes from it:

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
t let's be real, no one here is a doctor and photography is in general an absolutely selfish pursuit ...

... A jerk of a surgeon is still a person trying to save your life. A photographer...well....
02-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
this brings to mind Peter Lik, one of the biggest cons I've seen in awhile though maybe not quite so stupid.
Ken Rockwell springs to mind as well.

02-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Popcorn anyone?

His demise has begun... All his workshops are now cancelled. His manager just quit. Wiki page removed. Biography "reframed" has been removed from publication.

This is gonna be one exciting ride to watch!

I hope he was investing some of that money he couldn't stop mentioning. I doubt he will have many jobs in the near future.
02-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I hope he was investing some of that money he couldn't stop mentioning.
Not with the IRS knocking on his door..
02-25-2016, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Not to go religious....but I couldn't help but think of this....."Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Hope he has a parachute, he's gonna need it!

Regards!