Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
When I saw the title of this thread, the first person I thought of was Jake. Last week he was selling a dvd with 20 hours of tutorials and a bunch of Nebraska skies for $3, which I felt was too much. And now as I'm reading this thread, I can hear the local television news channel announcing that tonight they will be doing an investigative story on him and some of his claims that have surfaced in his nasty social media posts that have gone viral. I'll be interested to see what they've discovered.

Here's a link to the story.

Last edited by boblivious; 02-25-2016 at 09:29 PM.
02-26-2016, 03:42 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not to go religious....but I couldn't help but think of this....."Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

Hope he has a parachute, he's gonna need it!

Regards!
No need to go religious - it's a philosophical viewpoint as well as a religious one.
02-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boblivious Quote
It looks like his end is nigh.

This guy still seems oddly familiar, but I can't quite bring to mind who he reminds me of........

Last edited by Parallax; 02-26-2016 at 06:28 AM.
02-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Wow, his attitude is far from client friendly

02-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Check this out - photographer with quite the excessive ego

This 'Famous' Photographer is Getting Called Out for His Public Comments

Dunno, but if your a good street photog you got to be a little off your rocker to shove you cam into someone face at 2 in the morning. Your going to have a different tude than a landscaper or startrail photog. I'd post some of my pix but they wont fly with you guys. If this guy in question produces masterpieces, well, maybe the big ego goes with the outstanding work.
02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Dunno, but if your a good street photog you got to be a little off your rocker to shove you cam into someone face at 2 in the morning. Your going to have a different tude than a landscaper or startrail photog. I'd post some of my pix but they wont fly with you guys. If this guy in question produces masterpieces, well, maybe the big ego goes with the outstanding work.
He is not producing masterpieces, his ego is way beyond his work, and he's not even a street photog, this dude is Nebraska. This is no Kanye (who actually did drastically change music for awhile there).

And I haven't seen a Gilden ripoff make anything like him yet either, getting in people's faces doesn't make one a good street photog. The only thing a good street photog needs is a unique sense of perception and the ability to translate that into images. Too many of them just have another street photog's images in their head when they go out. Actually, for a few years I was one of those haha.
03-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boblivious Quote
When I saw the title of this thread, the first person I thought of was Jake. Last week he was selling a dvd with 20 hours of tutorials and a bunch of Nebraska skies for $3, which I felt was too much. And now as I'm reading this thread, I can hear the local television news channel announcing that tonight they will be doing an investigative story on him and some of his claims that have surfaced in his nasty social media posts that have gone viral. I'll be interested to see what they've discovered.

Here's a link to the story.

I was going to post this link to the news story if nobody else had.

I also went to his website and took a look at his photos and I do need to agree that they are not bad but, one photo really got me going a little bit.

It was of a photo of a girl with a couple of suitcases in hand facing away from the camera. That part was ok, it was just the location of the photo. She was standing in the middle of some railroad tracks. Now I know as sure as I am sitting here, most people that have ever taken photos, at one time or another, either have taken photos of railroad tracks or have thought about taking photos of railroad tracks, my self included.

The problem is, the tracks that he used had concrete ties and very shiny rails. As a railroad enthusiast, That tells me that the site he used is a main line used daily and chances are, more then once a day. Not only to mention that he and the model were trespassing. Trains are not as loud as they use to be and can be right upon you without you noticing. When that happens, people panic and do strange things when the panic sets in.

I guess it is better that we are reading a story about how much of a hole in the rear end he is instead of a story where the headline reads, "Model on photography shoot killed by train."

03-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
This guy still seems oddly familiar, but I can't quite bring to mind who he reminds me of........
Reminds me of that damn Otis Squirrel. Someone ought to go after him and put him in his place! His "powerful army" can't be all that big....can it?

Regards!
05-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Let's be honest. The picture he does look really great. They are stunning photos and not many here provide such quality. It funny when people say it's bad because the guy itself it bad.

Stiil, all the photos all look the same basically and I guess that what you buy: a standardized high quality product but with your child in it.

Now on the philosophy of it, it may be hard for him but would he die tomorrow that nobody would care. Not more than any other random guy. He has a big ego and try to put other down but it only him being stupid, thinking other really did needed him, could not replace him. he surfed on a brand, himself, and got it damaged even father than he made it. Sad for him.
05-16-2016, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see there's anything sad for Jake Olson in this. He's clearly good at what he does with a camera, even though you can criticise his range, but he's just as clearly got a personality disorder, if his social media posts are anything to go by. Attila the Hun was a great military leader, but a poor human being, and there's no good reason to feel sad for him that he didn't turn out like Saint Francis of Assisi.

The general rule is not to give oxygen to people like this, but I get the feeling that doing so now won't revive his career. Unless, of course, he finds Jesus, and resists the temptation to take his photo along the road…
05-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
One of the comments: "he looks like a functional psychopath." :-D
Several months ago I heard in the news of a study that found that psychopaths are disproportionately more common among very "successful" (wealthy or powerful) people, such as CEOs and politicians. I wouldn't be surprised if this includes the highest paid photographers. Terry Richardson comes to mind.
05-16-2016, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
psychopaths are disproportionately more common among very "successful"
Not at all a surprise. The less of a damn you give about others, the more likely you are to do anything which will get you ahead - with corresponding advantages when it comes to achieving your goals. The problem, as always, lies in how you cover the trail of ruin you leave behind, because you need to be good at that too.
05-16-2016, 07:56 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The problem, as always, lies in how you cover the trail of ruin you leave behind

As I get older I have come to the realization that, not everyone you lose is a loss. Sometimes by losing someone you gain someone else who is in a better position to guide you, and help your work improve in ways your previous associates didn't allow you to realize.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-16-2016 at 08:04 AM.
05-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
not everyone you lose is a loss
No, but it all depends on how you lose them.
05-16-2016, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
but it all depends on how you lose them.
Indeed: but of those who had held a stranglehold on creativity there is no harm in reveling in their loss, with an eye to the spectacular.