Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That would make a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint. But they should piggyback on the Pentax brand when needed, since it's more recognizable.
The two brands in a small company isn't the smarten strategy in my opinion. On april 28th there is a new investors report from Ricoh. Maybe this time the K-1 will be in it.......... Being part of the Larger Ricoh Brand would give more room for advertising.

04-18-2016, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Mono,what I said was the image quality of high end phones will catch mid range cameras.Just do some research(Panasonic CM1)
I also said high end cameras will always(in the near future)exist.I have no idea of the timeframe,however the images I'm seeing with today's phns,is of a high standard.
I have no idea of the time frame either, but my first DSLR,in 2007, the K10D, was better for taking images than the Samsung Galaxy phone that i have today.
04-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
the Samsung Galaxy phone

I also have one, S4 zoom, a hybrid with a basic P/S cam

A shot I took, I uploaded to a high end photographic group online,they thought the shot was from the camera we all own and were amazed when I told them it came from a P/S

Check the images on the Phone thread in Non pentax section, some comments have stated they are as good as DSLR!(not my comment btw)

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 10:40 AM ----------

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 10:41 AM ----------

Samsung S7 edge
04-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Samsung is rumoured to be working on a 1/1.7' sensor for their smart phones,aperture down to f1.4.

04-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung is rumoured to be working on a 1/1.7' sensor for their smart phones,aperture down to f1.4.
I wonder if Pentax can use it in Q.
04-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When researching a new phone recently I was somewhat surprised to find approximately half of the posts commenting on the phone were related to the camera, not the phone or any of the other apps.

Clearly the quality of the camera in their phone is a major concern for a lot of people. The sense I got was that though they were buying a phone the camera part was at least as important as the phone part..........
04-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use of my phone:
Internet Access - 90%

Remaining 10%, by percent:
Snapshots - 25% (sometimes it's just easier)
Receiving text conversation - 40%
Starting text conversation - 10%
Receiving a call (ignored) - 10%
Receiving a call - accepted on device - 1%
Making or receiving a call- Bluetooth - 14%

04-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When researching a new phone recently I was somewhat surprised to find approximately half of the posts commenting on the phone were related to the camera, not the phone or any of the other apps.

Clearly the quality of the camera in their phone is a major concern for a lot of people. The sense I got was that though they were buying a phone the camera part was at least as important as the phone part..........
It's the camera that makes the sales. They al can be used for phone calls, whatsapp, Facebook messenger and the like. It's the camera that makes content for instagram and snapchat.
04-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's the camera that makes the sales.
yes, it is the only differentiating factor because as you say they all can make calls, access the internet and so on. Camera is the only area of improvement still being made.
04-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Iphone 6...fuji didnt do it on the night and neither did Sony a7...the phone got the shots and sent them away with haste.

these images have been thru the facebook suppression process so no where near as good as the originals
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Last edited by surfar; 04-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.
04-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Iphone 6...fuji didnt do it on the night and neither did Sony a7...the phone got the shots and sent them away with haste. these images have been thru the facebook suppression process so no where near as good as the originals
Sure. What's questionable is what people do this their photos taken with $3000 FF cameras, if is to exclusively post on the web or print small format (what actually most people do...) that pretty useless except for creating bokeh. That why, to be honest, I haven't ordered any K-1. For me, it happens that APSC is just doing the job and priority is that I'm after super fast AF and lens capability rather than different sensor format. Then there is the lust of purchasing and owning something but that's a different story.

---------- Post added 20-04-16 at 00:28 ----------

I also have one, S4 zoom, a hybrid with a basic P/S cam A shot I took, I uploaded to a high end photographic group online,they thought the shot was from the camera we all own and were amazed when I told them it came from a P/S Check the images on the Phone thread in Non pentax section, some comments have stated they are as good as DSLR!(not my comment btw)
The thing with P/S using small sensors is that the lenses apertures are also up to two stops faster than the lenses from Pentax ... and that where the increasing of image quality is not fully proportional to the larger sensor size and system. That's why some people are content with u4/3 cameras because with faster than Pentax lenses, the gap in image quality is not so big. That's what Pentax don't seem to understand when they release a 28-105 f5.6 .... because with a 17-70 f4 on a K-3, I get almost the same hence hard to justify dropping $3K for a marginal (invisible) improvement on image quality. If Pentax do a FF with 1 stop better IQ... it's plain wrong to mount a 1 stop slower lens on it.
04-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Yes,I agree.Plenty of people are over gunned with their equipment.Mind you some videos I do are projected to wall size and that's where the small sensor footage gets shown up.It all depends on where you are going to use the images,most don't need bigger sensors and that's why the phone cameras will become the main image capturers as time goes by.
04-19-2016, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know there are members who hate this answer.

Well - we all have our reasons for buying the K-1. I suppose the truly rich adult toy people already own a D5. I just need a K-mount and a FF sensor for my lenses. Film has been (and will continue to be) fine, but digital has all the real-time benefits. If it's $1,800 then it's $1,800. I'll not do something else that I need money for. It's just a choice.

All the really neat features and Pentax inventions are gravy. If I get good enough I'll order a large print now and then - but that's gravy. DoF benefit is gravy. DR is gravy.

I only need a K-mount and a FF sensor.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2016 at 06:19 PM.
04-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's what Pentax don't seem to understand when they release a 28-105 f5.6 .... because with a 17-70 f4 on a K-3.
?

Your 17-70 f4 was not a kit lens.

A 5.6 aperture lens is available from all the major manufacturers, built to budget not performance.
04-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Your 17-70 f4 was not a kit lens.

A 5.6 aperture lens is available from all the major manufacturers, built to budget not performance.
The absence of fast long lenses is his thing.