Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

iPhone SE cameras cost Apple $13 in total

The heart of the problem currently confronting mirrorless and DSLR camera makers. Hard to make a DSLR for less than $13.

From Image Sensors World recently:
QuoteQuote:
IHS: iPhone SE Cameras Cost $13.30
BusinessWire: IHS iPhone SE teardown report estimates both front and rear camera module cost $13.30, out of $156.20 total BOM, or about 8.5% - about the same proportion as iPhone 4s cameras:

04-18-2016, 03:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Aren't DSLR's and phones totally different markets?

I agree that phone cameras are getting better and better and are making compacts obsolete.

But DSLR? I can't imagine person that is interested in photography and is choosing between for example K-50 and IphoneSE.
04-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, even the most expensive phones only cost ~100-200$ to make, so this doesn't surprise me at all. I highly doubt a DSLR costs that much more (I can imagine about 200-300 for something like a K-S2).
04-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Through my employer I am able to pick up an iPhone SE for $0 (with 2 year plan).
That is the reality for camera manufacturers.

Michael

04-18-2016, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Talking to peope is way overrated....
04-18-2016, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Talking to peope is way overrated....
Text messaging will ruin your life.
04-18-2016, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Through my employer I am able to pick up an iPhone SE for $0 (with 2 year plan).
That is the reality for camera manufacturers.

Michael
Sorry but the phone is not free. somebody pay the phone in their monthly payment

04-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Sorry but the phone is not free. somebody pay the phone in their monthly payment
Nobody said it was free.
The required "2 year" commitment is well understood.
But it is a fact that one can get a brand new device for nothing up front.

Michael
04-18-2016, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The heart of the problem currently confronting mirrorless and DSLR camera makers. Hard to make a DSLR for less than $13.

Harder still to make a smartphone that will take as good a picture as a DSLR over the full range of photography that we expect cameras to service.
04-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm expecting the K-1 to reduce my need for communication to others to almost nil for many months.
04-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I can't imagine person that is interested in photography and is choosing between for example K-50 and IphoneSE.
Smartphones either take camera-interested people out of the market for a K-50, or perhaps motivate them to move up to one (which is I think what some camera makers hope). But billions of photo/video interested people who happily and profitably use FB or Instagram or Vine etc etc may never see any value in making the upgrade. I know many people like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Harder still to make a smartphone that will take as good a picture as a DSLR over the full range of photography that we expect cameras to service.
That argument probably applies in reverse too - it's hard to make a DSLR that will be as good at doing what smartphones do. Samsung tried, and gave up ...

But yeah, I can't see the likes of birders, sports shooters, or fashion/wedding pros switching to smart-phones anytime soon. Our DSLR's are safe - for a few more years.
04-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Most people are quite satisfied with the photos that come out of phones. Can't beat the convenience of having a pocket sized camera. They usually don't care about background blur or even if they are tack sharp. They just want a recording of the memory. Once a DLSR can be the size of an Iphone, look out!

Randy
04-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the early 60's until the early 2000's most camera owners had a fixed lens rangefinder camera. SLR ILC's were really enthusiast tools and wealthy adult toys outside professional use. It's just the decade of the digital revolution that saw a dSLR enter the average home. Remember the iPhone started in June of 2007, and the camera wasn't really important until social media took off.

iPhone camera is today's Instamatic. dSLR sales might well decline to a reasonable level for enthusiasts and rich people but they won't disappear. MILC's are more likely to suffer the passing fad effect when some new cool thing comes up.
05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I don't think a K50 cost more than an iphone to make. I would say less. After all there all the R&D to recoup and they are selling far less unit. And the camera unit of the iphone can't really work without the rest of the phone like the main processor to actually operate and without the touch screen to actually allow the user to take a photo.

As the sensor itself, maybe it cost 30$ to Pentax? That not that much more expensive, counting the difference in quality. Likely Pentax could put a 3G/4G chip in their camera for $10-20 and get an Android based OS so they could do all the thing an iphone can do... too