Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo Hosting Site Suggestions

I've had trouble with images on smug mug displaying with considerable softness. I've tried some things to fix the problem on my own with no improvement. I emailed the support link and have exchanged multiple emails with no suggestions or explanations from them about what is causing the problem. I have a 12 message thread that make think smashing my forehead against a brick wall would have been more productive. Every photo I try to upload to flickr times out regardless of the uploader I use. I don't have any patience for things like this that don't work. They are providing a service and obviously not concerned about how well they do it. So, what photo hosting site is the best? Why do you think so?

05-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just use dropbox. Not a photohosting site really but works fine for it. You can easily upload with the windows integration of it's file uploader. I'm sure they will have that for iOs too.
05-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the three main paid ones would be:
Zenfolio
Smugmug
Photoshelter
If you read through all the details, there are subtle differences but they all do about the same thing. I studied them for about a month and went with Zenfolio: Zigzag Mountain Art but they all have good points and bad. So far I'm mostly happy with Zenfolio but there are lots of threads with people who want something changed and it doesn't happen. Same as on Smugmug or Photoshelter.

Then you also have 500px, which I'm not quite sure what they are trying to be, a stock agency, photo host, ??

And then of course you have Flickr, I only have the free version and do not use it much. I understand they have been having a lot of problems uploading lately. I tried to upload a series of lens test pictures and it took almost two days to finally get them all right: Here is the link to the album on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHskx21uhp
05-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flickr works fine if you are using the Lightroom publishing agent. I would never try to use the web interface...

05-24-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Flickr works fine if you are using the Lightroom publishing agent. I would never try to use the web interface...
I extensively use the web interface and have had little problems with it except when in Europe and on bad hotel wifi. Even then I managed to upload hundreds of pictures.
05-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I extensively use the web interface and have had little problems with it except when in Europe and on bad hotel wifi. Even then I managed to upload hundreds of pictures.
I would use the Uploadr app if I didn't have Lightroom...

I simply don't want to use any interface that requires a web browser if I don't have to.
05-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used Zenfolio for several years now and of course like it. One nice feature is the ability to directly upload from Lightroom.

05-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

ditto - no problems uploading, viewing, or sharing shots with flickr....
05-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problems with Flickr here either. I actually don't know how they upload so fast.
05-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No problems with Flickr here, but I'm grandfathered into the old Flickr Pro system. I dunno what it's like if you're new there.
05-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a non-Pro Flickr account, and occasionally have problems uploading (it times out), but works fine 99% of the time.
05-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just use dropbox. Not a photohosting site really but works fine for it. You can easily upload with the windows integration of it's file uploader. I'm sure they will have that for iOs too.
+1 Dropbox. It's free. I'm not interested in creating my own online showcase or gallery - I could do that here if I wanted - I just need a host. I export the downsized for posting / emailing version to dropbox on my desktop then retrieve from there as needed. Loads and syncs with online dropbox quickly. My pictures from dropbox on here show up with a "View Picture EXIF" dropdown at the top, which is very handy.
05-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #13

Google Photos for family/fast sharing (fast, free, and I love the automatic search-by-face) with the desktop uploader watching my lightroom disk for jpgs, and smugmug only for personal portfolio work here -- haven't noticed softness on their renders but also don't really pixel peep the versions I upload...
05-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

500px
05-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am using Smugmug since some years and have not had the softness issues you describe. I also found the support quick and helpful when needed.
Sorry to hear it isn't working for you.