Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

**Pentaxian Who Needs Serious Help**

So I have the K-3 II and I absolutely love it. I bought the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 last year and it rarely comes off my camera but in February Sigma released a 50-100 f1.8 for Nikon and Canon mounts. I checked the B&H website and it said Pentax mount not yet available so I waited and waited and waited. Finally I emailed Sigma and they told me "we have no plans to make the 50-100 in the Pentax mount." They are also not willing to convert a Canon or Nikon into the K mount. I find this absolutely ridiculous because they are discontinuing more and more Pentax mount lenses without replacing any of them with new things. It seems like Sigma is moving away from Pentax mounts all together. I have already emailed multiple times trying to convince them to reconsider but they don't think Pentax has enough supporters to make it worth it for them. If everyone reading this could please send them an email for me at info@sigmaphoto.com maybe we can convince them to continue making Pentax mount lenses. Canon and Nikon have enough already, we are the ones in need of more quality third party lenses. I don't want to have to switch my camera system to one of the big guys but if the third party lens manufacturers stop making Pentax lenses than I feel like I am going to be forced to. Plus they barely have any full frame options for us so it really seems like they are completely disregarding this market. Thanks

05-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Neither news nor rumor.
Moved to the proper forum.
05-26-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll see Sigma still support Kmount, just not huge.

Have you investigated the Pentax 50-135? That's supposed to be a stellar IQ lens.
05-26-2016, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Neither news nor rumor.
As Parallax says, but with a double meaning. This is not a piece of news. And people here have been quite aware that Sigma has cut their Pentax lineup substantially, so this is nothing new for most of us.

Regrettable, but such is life. Many here are hoping that the K-1 will resurrect sufficient interest in the Pentax brand to make it worthwhile for Sigma to reconsider.

05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the only thing that will make any difference to Sigma is sales. So if you want more Sigma glass in k-mount, buy Sigma glass in k-mount. Of course as the number of lenses decline that gets harder. So Sigma's decision to not produce K-mount is a self-fulfilling prediction. They make less, so they sell less, so then they make even less, and so on.

I already have more Pentax glass than I can use so Sigma has no attraction to me and with all the issues I hear about with their glass I doubt I would be interested in future either. But for those that need third party lenses I sympathize and the fact that Sigma is not producing in k-mount has to have some impact on Pentax market share. Though perhaps no impact on Pentax profits, as no Sigma glass means more sales of Pentax glass.
05-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the only thing that will make any difference to Sigma is sales. So if you want more Sigma glass in k-mount, buy Sigma glass in k-mount. Of course as the number of lenses decline that gets harder. So Sigma's decision to not produce K-mount is a self-fulfilling prediction. They make less, so they sell less, so then they make even less, and so on.
Very true.

We must assign some number to such a situation, along the lines of "Catch 22".
05-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You really can't blame Sigma too much.
In the end of the 90's, Sigma had produced way too many Pentax lenses, and no one bought them.
I think in some places, you can still find old Sigma lenses still on shelves.
Given enough time, Sigma will come around.
The K1 will make it happen.
05-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I think in some places, you can still find old Sigma lenses still on shelves.
To be honest you can still find old Pentax lenses on the shelf.
Given enough time, Sigma will come around. The K1 will make it happen.
I think you are right. The k-1 is the turning point. And only the start, as big a milestone as it is, it is only the beginning. Sigma and others need to see unit sales, that's the only thing that matters. And the K-1 is a very attractive target, because there is so little new FF glass for Pentax. That means opportunity.

05-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Considering the report from Sigma was working on a fix with compatibility issues with K-1, I think they realize there is a market here. Otherwise they would just say screw'em.

I think the K-1 will rekindle the Sigma love. Ultimately, we need more users on the system to drive demand for glass. If there is demand, Sigma can't ignore it forever.

---------- Post added 05-26-16 at 02:09 PM ----------

I the mean time, Focus your lens efforts on some affordable glass that will get the job done. You will see your Sigma lenses in the future.

Might I suggest...

50-135mm (convert to Screw Drive if SDM fails)
70mm 2.4
one of the M or A 135mm lenses in the market place
05-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
bxf
Pentaxian

Given enough time, Sigma will come around.
The K1 will make it happen.
From what I've been reading, you may be able to accomplish this single handedly
05-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got a couple Sigma lens and love them. Sent one in for service and it was mailed, serviced and sent back in three days so they have great service also. It would be great to see them offer more for Pentax and for the K-1.
05-26-2016, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Give me the 50mm f1.4, 24-105 f4, I would be set.
05-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Original Poster
The 50-100 is the only zoom with constant f1.8. Does the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 have constant 2.8 for the whole zoom range? Its definitely a lens to consider but its still the same price it was ten years ago so thats kind of annoying plus it only goes down to 2.8 which is like 4.2 or something on the K3 because of the apsc. Its understandable for them to stop making Pentax stuff but its frustrating to see yet another amazing lens come out for Canon and Nikon and not for us
05-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

f2.8 is f2.8 regardless of the sensor size...
05-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
f2.8 is f2.8 regardless of the sensor size...
A Concise Explanation of How Crop Factor Affects Both Focal Length AND Aperture