Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Mirrorless sales collapsing worse than -30% in Japan the homecountry of mirrorless

Mirroless sales by unit fell -32,6% in one year in Japan according to most recent Cipa statistics.
That is 1/3 gone in just a year.
Compared to the same month a year ago it is even worse.

Even trying to grab more money per customer for expensive DSLMs did not help (value down -22,8% in one year).

In the US, where the initial hype is still on the move, mirrorless dropped -14,4% cameras.

Number of DSLRs sold in US and Europe is stable, in Japan shrinking, but not as bad as mirrorless.

Compared to same month a year ago even the last safe haven for mirrorless - Asia - dropped by -16,2% cameras sold.

Seems like once the hype is over the market will stabilize.

06-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Look at most economic indicators around the World. Not much good to report.

My nippers have snaffled all my mirrorless gear. Eldest daughter, 12, now has an A7r and A6000 with Sony Zeiss and G glass. She's pretty good with it.
06-02-2016, 06:29 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The market is settling. dslr's en mirrorless will co-exist for a long time.
06-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K1 is exterminating mirrorless! We should have seen it coming!

06-02-2016, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mirrorless (Fuji XE-2) will soon be a thing of the past in my "collection".
I thought this was a good idea for a compact companion for my K5/K3 but I hardly use it.

Maybe that's also what's happening out there: people got all hyped up with those mirrorless cameras and the honeymoon is now over?
06-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really these sorts of things wax and wane.

The last couple of years were more about mirrorless cameras with Sony really dumping all sorts of new models on the market while Canon and Nikon did more re-hashes of existing models. With the K-1, D500 and D5 (and who knows what Canon will come out with later on), I would expect SLRs to increase a little compared to mirrorless models. Then Sony will release a new model or two and the balance will shift their direction for a little while.

Overall, though, it feels like the market is stagnating quite a bit and I am not sure what sort of things can be thrown in to make folks using current gear rush out to get new cameras.
06-02-2016, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It's just lik HDTV market before, after certain point there's no more on what you can advance of almos perfect picture quality.

06-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

But what if the DSLRs fell even more than that? Without a comparison, that number doesn't help much.

Also, as someone mentioned in a previous similar thread - these number ebb and flow depending on what cameras are released when. If you have 3 new mirrorless cameras released in a month (for example), the number of units shipped will be very high on that month. If you have just one or none, that number will fall by a lot. And so on.

DSLRs go through the same highs and lows...

I'm firmly in the DSLR fold (no intention to get a mirrorless, ever). Just trying to be realistic. I do think DSLRs and mirrorless will co-exist, but I don't think mirrorless are doomed...
06-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mirrorless camera,
Thornless blackberry,
Burpless cucumber....

Despite the koan, less is more, sometimes it's really less.
06-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Let's have a look at the CIPA figures:

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201604_e.pdf

Total shipment (worldwide), January-April 2016 compared to January-April 2015:
  • Cameras with built-in lens: -34% in number of pieces and -31.9% in turnover (JPY)
  • SLRs: -10.1% in number of pieces and -16.4% in turnover
  • Mirrorless cameras: +2.3% in number of pieces and +28.9% in turnover.

It would be hard to qualify these figures as bad for mirrorless cameras...
06-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Mirroless sales by unit fell -32,6% in one year in Japan according to most recent Cipa statistics.
That is 1/3 gone in just a year.
cipa does not post sales numbers, they only have access to production/shipment data... cipa yearly numbers are in comparison to same period for the previous year.

the actual numbers for ytd unit losses in japan are: 77%(slr) vs. 66%(mirrorless).

Even trying to grab more money per customer for expensive DSLMs did not help (value down -22,8% in one year).
disagree, the actual ytd losses, per 1,000 yen in japan are: 81%(slr) vs. 77%(mirrorless).

higher value per unit clearly made a difference for mirrorless.

In the US, where the initial hype is still on the move, mirrorless dropped -14,4% cameras.
usa yearly, per unit: 98%(slr), 86%(mirrorless)
usa yearly, per 1,000 yen: 85%(slr), 131%(mirrorless)

worldwide yearly, per unit: 90%(slr), 102%(mirrorless)
worldwide yearly, per 1,000 yen: 84%(slr), 129%(mirrorless)

looks to me like mirrorless up, dslrs losing ground again? it's the same pattern we've seen all along.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201604_e.pdf
06-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It doesn't matter how many units you sell if the money they make you is crashing badly. When unit sales are up and revenue is slumping, that's desperation territory.
06-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Japan would be the first country where the mirrorless trend breaks and dslr's are still more than double the sales of mirrorless in that country. Interesting would be the reason behind the numbers. Are people going back to dslr? Is mirrorless loosing to smartphones which are getting better and are even more compact?I bet dslr is getting a surge from long awaited new models launched (K-1, D500 D5 1DX mk II Olympic Year, new camera's) al high price dslrs.
06-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Really these sorts of things wax and wane.

Overall, though, it feels like the market is stagnating quite a bit and I am not sure what sort of things can be thrown in to make folks using current gear rush out to get new cameras.
I would suggest rather that the market for digital is maturing. 2nd hand (pre loved using adveriser speak) digital cameras are practical now. The market no longer desires or needs a new model every year. Digital cameras now have a longer useable lifespan. New models of top end Smart Phones are now beginning to compete with the low end of mirrorless (body price apart). The market slowing down is only to be expected.
06-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
x2... even with the entire sector down hard, by ~20% by some accounts, mirrorless market share overall is rising, while dslr market share continues to slide.

canikon/pentax has had the overhead expense of having to re-engineer the mirror assemblies for the d810/5dsr/k1, they have higher production costs because of the mirrors, and they also have to warranty all of those moving parts... nikon in particular is taking a beating right now with warranty costs.

if that wasn't bad enough for the dslr companies, some wags are predicting the demise of the nikon 1 and canon eos-m mirrorless systems, which kinda makes sense... sony engineering superiority and sensor fab capability is mowing down just about everything in it's path.

https://youtu.be/aanabyZgquU?t=19m59s