Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Drones for Real Estate

I've been getting some real estate jobs lately which I like doing. It's not that hard and they seem to like the photos and the money isn't bad either.
I have a high end realtor who is having me shoot some pretty nice properties and he asked if I did or knew of anyone who does drone footage. I don't have a drone but I know a couple of other photographers who do but I'm not sure I want them in on this gig. My hesitation to include them is that maybe they will compete with me for my clients since they can offer the whole package and I currently do not.
So it makes me consider buying my own drone, especially if it can pay for itself pretty quickly. I have a GoPro Hero 3 that takes reasonable HD video so I'm thinking I could start with that and a DIJ drone.

Any thoughts on all of this I should be considering from any of you who have done it?

06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've been getting some real estate jobs lately which I like doing. It's not that hard and they seem to like the photos and the money isn't bad either.
I have a high end realtor who is having me shoot some pretty nice properties and he asked if I did or knew of anyone who does drone footage. I don't have a drone but I know a couple of other photographers who do but I'm not sure I want them in on this gig. My hesitation to include them is that maybe they will compete with me for my clients since they can offer the whole package and I currently do not.
So it makes me consider buying my own drone, especially if it can pay for itself pretty quickly. I have a GoPro Hero 3 that takes reasonable HD video so I'm thinking I could start with that and a DIJ drone.

Any thoughts on all of this I should be considering from any of you who have done it?
You will need to register for and get certified for drone operation. In the past you could request a waiver, starting in August all of that is done.

FAA completes landmark rules for commercial drones

Waviers will still be avilable for flight needs outside of this envelope.

Personally I would see if there is a drone pilot who doesn't compete with you or is willing to partner with you with a non-compete for this client. Then after you see what is involved you can determine if this is an area you want to add.
06-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello, you might be interested in Jim Harmer's (Improve Photography) post about Real Estate. http://improvephotography.com/9867/real-estate-photography-tips/ I also remember listening to a podcast of his, where he describes using a long painter's pole with an adapter to attach a camera. That way he was getting a higher than standard eye height shot. Pair that with a ladder and you could remove the need for a drone?
06-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I'm probably going that route. I forgot about that FAA stuff which would add some overhead I'm not really into dealing with.
I have an old ski and photo buddy I'm going to hit up.

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Hello, you might be interested in Jim Harmer's (Improve Photography) post about Real Estate. How to Photograph Real Estate: Lessons Learned I also remember listening to a podcast of his, where he describes using a long painter's pole with an adapter to attach a camera. That way he was getting a higher than standard eye height shot. Pair that with a ladder and you could remove the need for a drone?
Thanks I'll check it out!

06-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'm probably going that route. I forgot about that FAA stuff which would add some overhead I'm not really into dealing with.
I have an old ski and photo buddy I'm going to hit up.

---------- Post added 06-22-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

Thanks I'll check it out!
I don't know about the U.S., but you may need a special permit to operate a drone within several hundred metres of a building. There may also be a blanket ban within a set distance of an airport.
07-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

The USA has gotten pretty goofy about drones, so check the laws closely regarding commercial use. I fly a Phantom 3 Pro, which will be comparable to a GoPro camera in terms of output. I don't think it is good enough for commercial stills, but probably OK for undemanding video work. Phantoms won't fly within a few miles of an airport, and are height restricted until several miles out. This will be a very common feature with any drone you are thinking of buying that is GPS aware.
The phantoms are not much more than expensive toys as far as photography goes.
07-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I told a couple blokes to "rack off" they were filming a house down the toad from me, that was to be for sale, with a drone, they had the thing flying all over the place and way off and away from where the house was. They have no right to position a drone filming over my house as far as I am concerned, I told them that if they flew that thing over my back yard that it would come down, probably the last they’d see of it too. No way, those drone film mob can get lost.
A drone is simply not needed to photograph a house that is for sale.

07-03-2016, 05:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I told them that if they flew that thing over my back yard that it would come down, probably the last they’d see of it too.
In my area of the Northern Rivers, anyone who flies a drone should know that they are asking for trouble, given all the private herbs people grow around here.

Time to buy or build a WiFi jammer. Or get into falconry.
07-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Probably to much hassle for now. My friend who did this is selling his because he would spend too much time fiddling with it instead of taking photos. Plus as some of you point put people sure hate them.
Whether or not done footage is necessary is up to the realtor or home owner as far as I'm concerned. Some properties would benefit I imagine and it's good for showing the location, especially is it's big and spectacular.
07-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

a necessity no but a great gimmick yes.....it sounds cool to say we have aerial drone footage of the property....one of those baffle them with the 'latest tech'......certainly large parcels of vast acreage would benefit but a typical home in a cookie cutter development not really other than the ooooo ahhhh factor
good luck cause I think you could make more money photographing a property versus than doin an actual property survey <which I do.......would be neat if I could get a gig takin pics for realtors I already work for but alas.....
07-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For example here is a property I was photographing last week. It's in a beautiful, spectacular location but the way it is tucked in makes it difficult to convey in a photo from the ground.

A higher perspective would show that big mountain range beyond the trees, putting the home in context with its bigger surroundings.
07-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In my area of the Northern Rivers, anyone who flies a drone should know that they are asking for trouble, given all the private herbs people grow around here. Time to buy or build a WiFi jammer. Or get into falconry.
There is that, for me it is privacy, and wifi jammer, hmm, might have to look into that
07-04-2016, 05:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

There is that, for me it is privacy, and wifi jammer, hmm, might have to look into that
Look into the legalities of destruction of personal property and operating a device with the intention of destruction of property. Consider that you could find yourself charged with reckless endangerment if you deliberately bring a drone down by any means over a populated area.
Now compare that to the laws surrounding drone use. You might find you are committing a crime to stop a perfectly legal activity.
07-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
legal activity
If it is legal, that does not make it right, I/we were not consulted unto these laws, as far as I am concerned it is not right, not decent, drones and the operators are not welcome here.
07-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

If it is legal, that does not make it right, I/we were not consulted unto these laws, as far as I am concerned it is not right, not decent, drones and the operators are not welcome here.
Umm, that's not the way it works. Laws are used by society to determine what is right and wrong. If society determines some activity is wrong, then a law is passed limiting or banning that activity.
You sound like one of the people who wants all the advantages of society without the compromises that go along with living in a society.
I wasn't consulted regarding the laws surrounding noisy children in my neighborhood. Using your logic, I guess I can ax murder them since noisy children aren't welcome here.
But do carry on. Perhaps your neighbor with the drone will decide that he wasn't consulted regarding the laws surrounding arson and will firebomb your house.