QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
that's not the way it works
your neighbor with the drone
firebomb your house
You sound like one of the people

It should work that way, we the people should have input into laws regarding flying drones over peoples houses and filming, rather than leave it to some bureaucrat in Canberra. I don't have a neighbour with a drone. Firebomb? I can see that I have pushed one of your buttons, no need for violence. "You sound like", listen mate just leave don't start with me.
All I will say, drones are bad news.

07-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wow, we seem to have hit a nerve.
I will make a note that beachgardener doesn't particularly care for drones or their operators. Gotcha.

There are some things in our modern world I don't particularly care for either, like ATVs. But I recognize they have a place in the world and I'm thankful they are somewhat regulated so there are places I can go where I won't encounter any.

This was more of a practical question rather than a philosophical one. I know some hate drones and others use them in a way that makes people hate them but that isn't the intended topic here.
07-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
It should work that way, we the people should have input into laws regarding flying drones over peoples houses and filming, rather than leave it to some bureaucrat in Canberra. I don't have a neighbour with a drone. Firebomb? I can see that I have pushed one of your buttons, no need for violence. "You sound like", listen mate just leave don't start with me.
All I will say, drones are bad news.
Don't you live in a representative democracy? The idea is you elect a local person to represent you in government.
Did you not get to vote?
On the subject of violence, you were the one who was threatening to steal and destroy private property, I'm just using your logic and thought processes to try to figure out what you think is fair.
07-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen this in action. It was pretty impressive.3DR Solo Quadcopter with 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro HERO3+ / HERO4

07-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I have seen this in action. It was pretty impressive.3DR Solo Quadcopter with 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro HERO3+ / HERO4
I've heard really good things about the Solo machines. If the GoPro is a good enough camera for what the OP wants, I expect it would be an excellent choice. Take the 25 minute flight time with a grain of salt. They measure that by taking off under perfect conditions and hovering the aircraft a couple of meters up until the machine is forced to land because the battery is dead.
Realistically, the flight time will probably be closer to 18 minutes, presuming one isn't pushing the machine really hard, and that it doesn't have to fight much wind.
On that note, it's important to plan your flights so that you are flying into the wind to get to your destination. I've read of people losing their machines because they have ignored this, and have had the machine auto land where it can't be retrieved flying home against the wind with a depleted battery.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-05-2016 at 04:54 PM.
07-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If my youngest did not want a trip to Finland, as a graduation present next summer, I would order one right now... with the extra battery.
07-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Unrelated to realestate..... but this african safari holiday video with drone content is done quite well.... sorta got me thinking

07-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #23

Don't want to sound negative but......... I advocate for real pro photographers using real cameras. Some time ago I was asked about doing arial pictures for a high end realtor . I worked out a deal with a pilot at the local airport and the rest is history. Yes I charge more than the drone guys and when I show perspective customers the difference they understand why.
IMO the "pro" drone photographer is akin to the guy who puts his I-Pad in a tripod at the County Fair "Hey Sir c'mon over here and step into the basket, I'll take a picture of you and the family in the ReMax Balloon"
07-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Don't want to sound negative but......... I advocate for real pro photographers using real cameras. Some time ago I was asked about doing arial pictures for a high end realtor . I worked out a deal with a pilot at the local airport and the rest is history. Yes I charge more than the drone guys and when I show perspective customers the difference they understand why.
IMO the "pro" drone photographer is akin to the guy who puts his I-Pad in a tripod at the County Fair "Hey Sir c'mon over here and step into the basket, I'll take a picture of you and the family in the ReMax Balloon"
I guess that depends on the machine being used. Are you of the opinion that a camera like the Canon EOS 5D is in the same league as an iPad?

Do you think there might be an advantage in being able to park a full sized DSLR over top of a house for several minutes finding the best angle rather than hoping that a fixed wing pilot gets lucky?
07-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Drones also do NOT imply quadcopter style - there are fixed wing drones also. The devices can be setup to fly a mapping route running video the entire time. Recall that all of this is only typically shown on the web so the level of resolution is typically not an issue.

As mentioned above the drones do not have to use low res cameras - many integrate with DSLR's or similar level of sensor/lens combos.
07-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #26

I guess that depends on the machine being used. Are you of the opinion that a camera like the Canon EOS 5D is in the same league as an iPad?

Do you think there might be an advantage in being able to park a full sized DSLR over top of a house for several minutes finding the best angle rather than hoping that a fixed wing pilot gets lucky?
Heck my K5 isn't in the same league as the 5D!
I understand what you are saying . My point is most drone pilots are flying a phone or a go pro. MWACs , DWACs , Iphone artists and Walmart pros are allready making it tough for the folks who paid their dues.
07-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Floggin Rodger Quote
Heck my K5 isn't in the same league as the 5D!
I understand what you are saying . My point is most drone pilots are flying a phone or a go pro. MWACs , DWACs , Iphone artists and Walmart pros are allready making it tough for the folks who paid their dues.
Sadly, the world is changing. I noticed it was getting harder to compete with wannabe pros 30 years ago when auto everything SLR cameras took away the need to know much of anything.
Eventually, I decided to build houses instead and turn photography back into a hobby. I've been much happier ever since.
07-15-2016, 12:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

DJI and Hasselblad Team Up to Create Monster Camera Drone

This may cope with a real estate assignment!
07-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
DJI and Hasselblad Team Up to Create Monster Camera Drone

This may cope with a real estate assignment!
Yeah, I'll see if they will buy me one!

One of the agents I'm working with said the agency actually owns one but they are all afraid to fly it because of the risk of crashing.
07-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #30

Sadly, the world is changing. I noticed it was getting harder to compete with wannabe pros 30 years ago when auto everything SLR cameras took away the need to know much of anything.
Eventually, I decided to build houses instead and turn photography back into a hobby. I've been much happier ever since.
Sadly alot of potential customers in today's market wouldn't know a good picture if it bit them in the ass until someone shows them the difference..
I have one realtor that I work with semi regularly , shoot local sports and theater events and I do travel to shoot a concert when I can. I don't rely on photography to pay the bills. My equiptment typicly is not on the same plane as the guy shooting next to me but I do have some of that old fashioned knowledge and a pretty fair eye.
I really feel sorry for the kids paying to take photography classes at schools that don't even teach film anymore and expect to make a living.

Anyway back to the OP. Matt , I think you can get better results and have more fun with a few fly overs.
The realtors like drones because they don't have to pay the fee of a real photographer . They are cheap.