Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

With most SLR bodies getting Wifi built in, the market for these kind of cards is going to dwindle over time anyways.. stinks really bad if you bought in within the last year though.. I always wanted one of these but couldn't get past the lukewarm reviews... esp of RAW transfer speed.

Maybe that why Ricoh just went for the cloud service and not the whole company.. the card part is a lost cause economically..

07-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Zygonyx,

You are correct...see https://x2help.eyefi.com/hc/en-us

So why would eye-Fi/Ricoh choose to do something so abruptly?

Thanks

Frank Oz

---------- Post added 30th Jun 2016 at 09:34 PM ----------

Hey Jonathan,

I agree - Eye-Fi was a little buggy to begin with, but i have found it useful overall, particularly if I'm on holiday and I want post a couple of pics on social media.

I don't use their backup facility, I take RAW almost exclusively and prefer Lightroom/Smugmug as a solution, but their email is not clear when they talk about discontinued services. I suppose my iPhone or Android app that I use now to transfer flles may be shutdwn, I'm not sure. If that happens the wifi card is a brick.

rgds
Frank Oz
If you have an android phone. Simply turn off auto update and backup the app. Then there is no way that a direct wifi connection can stop working even if they do something dickish and push out an update that kills the app. My guess is their backup services and such are no longer working. Card to phone to Internet should work just fine.

I stand corrected, it appears you don't communicate with the card directly, you got through a cloud service to set it up. Wow, that sucks.
07-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks man, that is a good idea

07-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EYEFI:
The cards will still function at that point, and certain wireless transfer modes may still work, but their associated apps and services won't offer full functionality. Eye-Fi is offering to move customer data to its newer Cloud service, and will sell affected customers new cards at a discount. Mobi, Mobi Pro and EyeFi Cloud are all unaffected.
So if you are just using the card to transfer files it should still work right?

07-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

As I understand it the cards will still work within existing setups, like my early Sandisk Eye-Fi to my Android phone, but the administration of the card must be done via the desktop application, which now is no longer supported (AND you can not even log into the program since that service will shut down). It will work fine for as long as I keep my current setup, but when I buy a new phone in X number of months, I won't be able to set that up with the Eye-Fi card...
07-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agreed DonThomaso....As Mountain Vision (Mountain Vision - View Profile - PentaxForums.com) said above. Back up your Android or Iphone app and turnoff auto updates for (it at least) you will still be able to transfer files to your phone/tablet.

Nonetheless, Eye-Fi might show some respect to their customers and leave a legacy app available...I don't need the cloud storage, just the functionality.

I hope someone from Eye-Fi is watching threads like these.

rgds,
FrankOz
07-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

My Eye-Fi X2 is a couple years old. No wonder the end of life is getting close. The basic features should still be supported... for me the card never was of much use and I am happy they shut down some services before more people invest in it. Obsolete technology, be happy you receive notes about end of life.

Anyone wnats an obsolete card from me for free?

08-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #23

Sign the petition

Sign the petition at https://www.change.org/p/sales-eyefi-com-keep-eye-fi-x2-wifi-cards-active-for-10-more-years
08-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Eye-fi has released mac software that will enable users to keep on using their cards: https://www.dpreview.com/news/3861693365/eye-fi-releases-mac-software-to-ext...d-of-life-date

Windows users are less feasible it seems.
08-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I got a long mail from Eye-Fi, and it states that a Windows-version might be coming sometime in the future, but nothing seems to be final. My guess is that this is a side-project that are not getting top priority over at Eyefi... but they seem to have responded in some way.

"....

Today we are releasing the X2U on the Mac (OS X) platform. We will provide an updated notice if and when the X2U becomes available on Windows, and cannot guarantee such availability before the end of August and prior to the shutdown of Eye-Fi Center and Eye-Fi View.

Finally, this utility is being provided to allow more time for customers seeking an alternative WiFi SD card solution. It is not intended as a permanent/long-term solution. The X2U will not be adding any new features beyond this one-time release set of capabilities.

In order to download the Mac version of the X2U as well as accessing further information on the utility, please click HERE. If and when the Windows version is available, it can be accessed at the same location.

Regards,

The Eyefi Team"
08-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just going to ash can the orange cards and count it as a lesson learned. In-camera wifi works better anyway.
11-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #27

I have a K 3 with an eye fi X2 Pro which no longer functions. I am now considering replacing the wifi card.

Any suggestion s would be appreciated. Also experiences from those who already switched would be helpful.

Thanks

Jim
11-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimF Quote
I have a K 3 with an eye fi X2 Pro which no longer functions. I am now considering replacing the wifi card.
Any suggestion s would be appreciated. Also experiences from those who already switched would be helpful.
I bought a FlashAir card from Toshiba, even the 32 GB card was pretty cheap (approx $50 equiv. in Sweden). Class 10 and it is not dependent on software other than to be set up for the first time (wifi password etc) and then it will last forever regardless of device. It just creates a wifi network that you can access from any browser. Previews images but you can do whatever you want with it, accessing all files on the card.