Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Why the lack of (or apparent lack of) Pentax-branded merchandise?

I would gladly buy and wear some Pentax swag, be it a T-shirt, hat, or bumper sticker. However, it doesn't seem like much of this stuff even exists. Now that Ricoh is enjoying an uptick in market exposure, wouldn't it be nice if they could make some of these items and continue spreading the brand?

07-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Im always ask the same, i can understand in the pro line the lack of any goodies, but in the low-middle line why not include some "pentax" stickers the way apple do in their products.
07-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a theory, based on the availability of legacy Pentax swag on auction sites.

While we might enjoy having Pentax tschotske's, Swag as a marketing tool (excepting giant consumer brands such as Budweiser*) is used by company Reps to support relationship building with Dealers. Secondarily it is used to attract attendees to product booths at trade shows.

Since Pentax has comparatively few Reps, apparently very few Dealers and only recently seems to have resumed making an effort at trade shows, the need for marketing swag is very small - if it exists at all.

*Anheuser Busch had a Swag store on its HQ campus before they were bought by InBev and maintains its own webstore
07-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"While we might enjoy having Pentax tschotske's, Swag as a marketing tool (excepting giant consumer brands such as Budweiser*) is used by company Reps to support relationship building with Dealers. Secondarily it is used to attract attendees to product booths at trade shows."

Nice theory but they sell it to the public in Japan. I've tweeted Ricoh Imaging Americas several times about buying Pentax swag in the US but have never received a response. Tweet them here: https://twitter.com/PENTAXIAN. There is some cool swag on the Ricoh jp site but the site is in Japanese so use Chrome or some other tool to translate. I thought that I could create an account on the site and place an order but it appears to require that you must be a resident of Japan to do so.

07-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
"While we might enjoy having Pentax tschotske's, Swag as a marketing tool (excepting giant consumer brands such as Budweiser*) is used by company Reps to support relationship building with Dealers. Secondarily it is used to attract attendees to product booths at trade shows."

Nice theory but they sell it to the public in Japan. I've tweeted Ricoh Imaging Americas several times about buying Pentax swag in the US but have never received a response. Tweet them here: https://twitter.com/PENTAXIAN. There is some cool swag on the Ricoh jp site but the site is in Japanese so use Chrome or some other tool to translate. I thought that I could create an account on the site and place an order but it appears to require that you must be a resident of Japan to do so.

As a person that has bought items from Japan without being a resident of Japan, I will tell you it can be done. The trick is to use a proxy service like Shopping Mall Japan (Shopping Mall Japan - Japanese Purchasing, Auction, and Shopping Service! (USA too!)) or somebody living in Japan as a proxy.

Now, the draw back is the cost of the fees. The fees and the cost of shipping can be as much or as more then the cost of the item you are buying, but it will vary depending on where you are buying from. In my case, I was buying from yahoojapan auctions.

Here is how it works Shopping Mall Japan - Japanese Purchasing, Auction, and Shopping Service! (USA too!)
On the right side are links to the fees, how it works and other information.

If you are here in the USA, they will hold items for you and then you can request all the items shipped to you at the same time to save on shipping in the USA.

If you use a person as a proxy, it will be cheaper but there will still be fees and shipping.

If you really want something that is sold only in Japan, it can be worth it.
07-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
As a person that has bought items from Japan without being a resident of Japan, I will tell you it can be done. The trick is to use a proxy service like Shopping Mall Japan (Shopping Mall Japan - Japanese Purchasing, Auction, and Shopping Service! (USA too!)) or somebody living in Japan as a proxy.

Now, the draw back is the cost of the fees. The fees and the cost of shipping can be as much or as more then the cost of the item you are buying, but it will vary depending on where you are buying from. In my case, I was buying from yahoojapan auctions.

Here is how it works Shopping Mall Japan - Japanese Purchasing, Auction, and Shopping Service! (USA too!)
On the right side are links to the fees, how it works and other information.

If you are here in the USA, they will hold items for you and then you can request all the items shipped to you at the same time to save on shipping in the USA.

If you use a person as a proxy, it will be cheaper but there will still be fees and shipping.

If you really want something that is sold only in Japan, it can be worth it.

Yes, there is that solution but I'd still rather get forum members to coerce Ricoh Americas to sell in the US!
07-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice theory but they sell it to the public in Japan. I've tweeted Ricoh Imaging Americas several times about buying Pentax swag in the US but have never received a response.
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. is a completely separate company from Ricoh Imaging Japan. As such they would need to acquire on their own P&L Pentax branded merchandise from somewhere.nThere must not be, in their minds, a business justification or need to do it.

07-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, there is that solution but I'd still rather get forum members to coerce Ricoh Americas to sell in the US!

I totally agree. I think Ricoh/Pentax should be selling Tee-shirts, hats and such. Sadly, I am not a member or the leader of there marketing department.
07-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. is a completely separate company from Ricoh Imaging Japan. As such they would need to acquire on their own P&L Pentax branded merchandise from somewhere.nThere must not be, in their minds, a business justification or need to do it.
But but but it's not fair! *sigh*
07-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a ball cap and a pen that I got on what must have been one of the last tours by Pentax Reps through the northwest, about 10-years ago.
They were touting the then new K7.
They gave them to me after sitting through the sales pitch,
The Pentax on-line store used to have some of that gear for sale, along with a thermal cup, sling bag and some other logo stuff, but not seeing it now.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt the urge to buy logo gear to do someone else's advertising for them. If they want to give it to me, and I like the brand, I'll wear it though.
07-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I've got a ball cap and a pen that I got on what must have been one of the last tours by Pentax Reps through the northwest, about 10-years ago.
They were touting the then new K7.
They gave them to me after sitting through the sales pitch,
The Pentax on-line store used to have some of that gear for sale, along with a thermal cup, sling bag and some other logo stuff, but not seeing it now.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never felt the urge to buy logo gear to do someone else's advertising for them. If they want to give it to me, and I like the brand, I'll wear it though.
About 10 years ago, I asked a Pentax rep if they had any Pentax ball caps, he gave me a Pentax pen and a Pentax red reflector. Still have them. But I would pay to get a very good quality Pentax ball cap, make mine black with white lettering.
07-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also about 10 years ago Nikon decided that they would stop giving promo items to dealers since profit margins had dropped.I suspect Pentax is in the same mindset. In the past I was given a Nikon small swiss army knife and an even better done Pentax one ( silk screened logo vs inlaid one). And even a Pentax fisher space pen. Even though I would be willing to pay for such things, Pentax thinks that they will only be able to sell them in Japan. They used to think that about cameras in different colors so maybe they can be convinced.
07-04-2016, 01:29 AM   #13

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/318438-pentax-hq-vi...ml#post3620329
07-06-2016, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

if any one is interested I am willing , reluctantly, to part with this? I sold all my kit , (still have some old FF lenses )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM2  Photo 

Last edited by adwb; 07-06-2016 at 06:09 AM.
07-06-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Lookee here.

https://www.amazon.com/shoot-people-Photography-Camera-BeeGeeTees%C2%AE/dp/B...rds=pentax+mug

https://www.amazon.com/CafePress-Spotmatic-Large-Mug-Standard/dp/B00F52WARY/...tax+coffee+mug