Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone ever thought that the reason why a movie is watchable and rewatchable has little to do with the resolution and a lot to do with the content? Tell a good story with good lighting and with good cinematography and good acting and you won't need all of these other things.

I feel like Hollywood throws higher resolution and 3D at folks because they don't tell new and interesting stories. Sorry for the rant...

07-07-2016, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Has anyone ever thought that the reason why a movie is watchable and rewatchable has little to do with the resolution and a lot to do with the content? Tell a good story with good lighting and with good cinematography and good acting and you won't need all of these other things.

I feel like Hollywood throws higher resolution and 3D at folks because they don't tell new and interesting stories. Sorry for the rant...
I agree completely. The quest for ever higher definition in our video entertainment is rather like the quest for ever increasing resolution and sharpness in our digital photography. It's (fleetingly) interesting as a technical pursuit, but that's about it. A bad movie in 4K or greater will still be a bad movie, while a well made one will be great at any resolution. I'd suggest that once you're ten minutes in, if you're still marvelling at the increased definition of 4K, the movie isn't all that engrossing!
07-07-2016, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone ever thought that the reason why a movie is watchable and rewatchable has little to do with the resolution and a lot to do with the content?
Oh, that's just crazy talk. The next thing you're going to tell me is that a photograph can be enjoyed without seeing the EXIF data.
07-07-2016, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Oh, that's just crazy talk. The next thing you're going to tell me is that a photograph can be enjoyed without seeing the EXIF data.
Now, that's probably going over the line. I really can't appreciate a camera without knowing its DXO Mark sensor scores.

07-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Absolutely! I'm very critical of movies and often don't enjoy them as much as my family and it's never for the lack of resolution!
My primary motivation for a 4k set would be displaying images rather than movies but even then it may just be a novelty.

Last edited by mattb123; 07-07-2016 at 07:27 AM.