Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using Pentax gear as a pro photographer

Any of you that are full time pros feel like you are being held back because you use pentax gear? I'm a full time portrait/lifestyle photographer so I don't see it as a big issue, but what about you commercial guys. We are in such a minority by using pentax that some people don't think we are professionals or serious photographers. What's your take on this?

07-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
hummm, I don't want to be a pro photographer because I always have a well paid job and I have not time, but since I shot with the K3 and not even more with the K1, people ask me for photographs, my business card and how much I charge. That mean there is nothing holding me back but pulling me away instead.
07-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kenneth Sporsheim, Alex Munoz, for starters
07-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say that most pros shooting with the 645Z have few regrets. Lighting might be a small limitation, but there are options.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not modern DSLRs that are out now but some years ago, yes, I was a pro photographer using Pentax only.
07-25-2016, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SA Photo Quote
We are in such a minority by using pentax that some people don't think we are professionals or serious photographers.
At a show last week I had someone ask "Now the real question: do you shoot Canon or Nikon?" I said: "Pentax, I use a real camera". We had a good laugh, turns out the guy had shot Pentax film but has been Canon for some years. He noted that he was about fed up with Canon and looking for something better.
07-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
At a show last week I had someone ask "Now the real question: do you shoot Canon or Nikon?" I said: "Pentax, I use a real camera". We had a good laugh, turns out the guy had shot Pentax film but has been Canon for some years. He noted that he was about fed up with Canon and looking for something better.
Yeah, I hate that question. Ironically, Nikon and Canon don't even play in the medium format Arena, so depending on the type of pro work, those two aren't even contenders.

07-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not full time but have had quite a few clients over the past few years and I've never had one concerned with the brand of camera I use.
Other photographers give my cameras a second look sometimes but I've never had a bad experience with the issue.
07-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Any of you that are full time pros feel like you are being held back because you use pentax gear? I'm a full time portrait/lifestyle photographer so I don't see it as a big issue, but what about you commercial guys. We are in such a minority by using pentax that some people don't think we are professionals or serious photographers. What's your take on this?
I shot weddings full-time for three years back in 2004 with Canon gear. I also used my Canon gear for studio and location product photography including video.

I switched to Pentax (K5IIs, K3 and now K1) four years ago. I do not do weddings at all anymore. The few projects I do for pay, I guess would be considered commercial including studio and location product photography. My personal interest and passion are landscapes and lifestyle pictures. For those two areas, the new K1 is more than suitable and is delivering with flying colors.

I do not feel the gear is holding me back. If anything, I get more bang for the buck and a lot of features the Canon system lacked and still lacks to this day. Personally, I would like to have one or two wide to ultra wide FF primes. Otherwise, Pentax offers plenty of lenses to cover all my needs.
07-25-2016, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
clients over the past few years and I've never had one concerned with the brand of camera I use.
So true. I have been shooting weddings, events, portraits and a little freelance commercial. Having most of my photo taking days being in the film era, much of the short comings that are brought up here is more hype than anything. I shot sports in the 80's on a SLR shooting at about 3 frames per second. You could not carry enough film to shoot 5,000 shots at an event. I am glad I had the fortune to shoot film and digital. I have the instant feedback and technology of digital but I am still very deliberate in the photos I take and depend heavy on anticipation of the "keeper" moments.
07-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I work in an auction house. We're changing our workflow to incorporate K-50 cameras with Eye-Fi Mobi cards and Sigma 17-50/2.8 lenses, replacing Samsung tablets. I use a K-3 with Sigma 10-20 & 17-50 for photographing vehicles as well as construction and agricultural equipment.
07-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
but I am still very deliberate in the photos I take and depend heavy on anticipation of the "keeper" moments.
You are absolutely right my friend. That is the essence of photography. Something I remember from film days too. I shot sports and other action oriented images in the era of manual focus lenses. The only way to do it successfully was to anticipate the action in advance. That is an art form that seems to be lost amidst autofocus cameras and all the modern advances. Granted, I had much better eyesight then. These days, I feel almost handicapped without autofocus.
07-26-2016, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I bumped into a 645Z user that actually came from Phase One (I don't have a 645Z--wish I did) and he had no complaints. I've also spoken with a Phase One user who was contemplating switching to a 645Z.

Don't let ANYONE tell you it's not well respected.

Of course, I know there are many K3... K5... K-1 owners that couldn't care less about the 645Z as their needs are already being met.

I say, if you're happy that's all that matters. If there's something about your photos you don't like, then by all means make the switch. But my guess is if you're unhappy with your photos now you'll still be unhappy even with another make. (Think I've read that here before. )

Edit: and by "users" I mean "name landscape photographers." The real deal.

And, one more thing, if your photos are good, do you think anyone's going to look down on you because they came from a Pentax... especially years from now? The only people that would look down on you for using Pentax are likely people that are insecure about their own work. And they're out there, for sure. But I don't think anyone out there producing good quality photos really cares what sort of brand someone else is using; except some folks that might hang out on forums like this.

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-26-2016 at 01:03 AM.
07-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #14
Forum Member

Hi, do you think that Pentax has the gear (lenses and bodies with capable AF) for a professional wildlife photographer to switch over ?

The pros for wildlife on Pentax being of course the sealing and IBIS. For the rest I don't know. I know however that the AF on my K-50 often falls short in tracking and that I have a 10% keeper rate based only on AF.
07-26-2016, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
What's your take on this?
I use multiple systems, and frankly... I don't care too much about the brand when working, kits a tool, it's all about the captured image that's the important.