Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #301
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 13,183
But of course they won't imply anything. They will announce when they decided to, and not a day before*.

* except for press releases leaking out few days in advance.

08-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #302
Pentaxian
Belnan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 811
What would the next mid-level Pentax DSLR look like.

Price wise there is a fairly large gap between the Pentax K-3 II and the K-1 and it seems logical to fill that gap with a well spec'd camera. I guess the question is what would be the better option; an updated APC replacement for the K-3 II or an even cheaper Full Frame Camera. I dont think we will see either at photokina but possible early in the new year. So what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine. And priced at 1300 usd what would it look like.
08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #303
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 157
Other kind of rumor : my reseller tell me these afternoon that Pentax prices will take 10-15% september the first in France/europe. He's waiting tomorrow for knowing exactly what's going on.
08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #304
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 959
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
What would the next mid-level Pentax DSLR look like.
Price wise there is a fairly large gap between the Pentax K-3 II and the K-1 and it seems logical to fill that gap with a well spec'd camera. I guess the question is what would be the better option; an updated APC replacement for the K-3 II or an even cheaper Full Frame Camera. I dont think we will see either at photokina but possible early in the new year. So what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine. And priced at 1300 usd what would it look like.
Ricoh needs a new flagship APS-C camera. The K-3-series is about 3 years old. The K-3II looks out-of-date compared to the K-70, and also compared to features in the K-1 that are not to do with FF but would work on APS-C too. (Some sort of moving LCD; SAFOX 12, etc).

Ricoh doesn't need a cheaper FF camera. The K-1 is already incredible value for money. People who are not willing to pay for the K-1 are not very likely to spend much money on new Pentax lenses either, so are probably not good customers for Ricoh.

Apart from that, Ricoh needs new lenses. Lots of them! Mainly FF lenses, (which will obviously also work on APS-C cameras), but perhaps a few APS-C-only lenses too.

08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 4,981
is it just my imagination (read lack of attention to PF) or has the flurry of patent applications from Ricoh slowed down again?
08-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #306
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,469
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
Other kind of rumor : my reseller tell me these afternoon that Pentax prices will take 10-15% September the first in France/Europe. He's waiting tomorrow for knowing exactly what's going on.
I think you forgot to include a direction.
10-15% Up or Down??
08-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #307
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 157
up, sorry
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #308
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,854
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think you forgot to include a direction.
10-15% Up or Down??
If it is up, and reflected into final price, that a huge issue: Pentax is already not so well placed compared to the competition in France. Increasing prices would make the whole line up ininteresting: K1 same price as D810, K70 as expensive as D7200, K3-II prices at D610/A7 levels.

If you can get for the same price a D7200 with pro f/2.8 Nikon lens as K70 + 16-85, where the point?

08-31-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #309
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,300
Everybody is raising prices. Not just Pentax. I was already expecting this. The Yen has become more expensive compared to Euro and Dollar.
08-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #310
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Tarján
Photos: Albums
Posts: 129
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Ricoh needs a new flagship APS-C camera. The K-3-series is about 3 years old. The K-3II looks out-of-date compared to the K-70, and also compared to features in the K-1 that are not to do with FF but would work on APS-C too. (Some sort of moving LCD; SAFOX 12, etc).

Ricoh doesn't need a cheaper FF camera. The K-1 is already incredible value for money. People who are not willing to pay for the K-1 are not very likely to spend much money on new Pentax lenses either, so are probably not good customers for Ricoh.

Apart from that, Ricoh needs new lenses. Lots of them! Mainly FF lenses, (which will obviously also work on APS-C cameras), but perhaps a few APS-C-only lenses too.
What if Ricoh would take some of the old FA primes and release them as HD D-FA variants? Same optical design, new coating and new packaging.
08-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #311
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 13,183
They would get old optics with new barrels, at a cost not much different than making an entirely new lens. It's not an option (except perhaps in a few special cases)
08-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,716
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
up, sorry
It should only be +100€ for K-1 and +50€ for K-3II, about 5% increase "due to change rates evolutions" since last year.
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #313
Banned




Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,674
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
up, sorry
Not the first Brand to do so.


My prediction to this. The market for camera's will decrease with the same 10-15 %, since we buy less camera's. It's a circle that is spinning down.
08-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #314
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Photos: Albums
Posts: 339
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine.
Seems there are people who want either (look at Nikon D500 and D600). However, I'm not sure what Pentax can put in their kick-ass APSC; action does not seem to be their strengh, and on other areas their flagships have always been close to top. A cheap FF is possible, but may hurt K-1 so my guess is they continue what they've been doing: Introduce a better FF and drop K-1's price. This will not happen this year though. For this year, if any, it shall be K-3 iii or whatever they call it.
08-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #315
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,469
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Seems there are people who want either (look at Nikon D500 and D600). However, I'm not sure what Pentax can put in their kick-ass APSC; action does not seem to be their strengh, and on other areas their flagships have always been close to top. A cheap FF is possible, but may hurt K-1 so my guess is they continue what they've been doing: Introduce a better FF and drop K-1's price. This will not happen this year though. For this year, if any, it shall be K-3 iii or whatever they call it.
I believe FF will be Pentax's answer to landscape / portrait photography, so the APS-C line needs a reason to exist. Thinking of the "reach" / "magnification" and burst advantages APS-C naturally has over FF, the natural call would be to push APS-C towards wildlife, sports, and events. In order for that to happen, they need to improve low-light performance and AF. The K-70 may be a first tentative step in that direction.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, aps-c, body, camera, cameras, canon, direction, ff, fullframe, interview, lens, lenses, market, options, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, presence, registration, ricoh, rio, sequel, series, sigma, sports, stock, version, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any rumors of pentax MX-1 successor? hsiehlk Pentax Compact Cameras 15 01-20-2015 09:24 PM
Past Pentax Rumors mee Pentax News and Rumors 6 09-12-2014 07:46 PM
Pentax EVIL, 645D price rumors eigelb Pentax News and Rumors 58 01-12-2010 08:08 AM
Nikon Rumors Know Pentax fwbigd Pentax News and Rumors 42 03-06-2009 07:55 AM
PMA 2009 rumors on Pentax rburgoss Pentax News and Rumors 280 01-16-2009 04:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top