Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote

Predictions (ie my wish list)
FF Stripped down K-1 - $1100 - Remove the flippy screen, remove wifi, remove 4k video, and give me a less expensive FF camera. Kind of the Nikon D810 vs D610 roadmap. Making this mirrorless would leap frog them past Fuji too!
Don't see any sort of "Stripped down DSLR" type thing happening anytime soon, chances are it will end up being in the similar price rage (or higher).

Super APS-C camera - $1,800 - now that Pentax is gaining the attention of serious professionals again (are they?), maybe a competitive sports camera that is smaller, lighter, cheaper and better weather sealed than other options on the market but with a huge buffer and frame rate would be interesting.
Their own version of Nikon's D500? They can increase the buffer size, but I don't think they'll make something that'll take it head on. As far as being "better weather sealed", Pentax's cameras are weather sealed pretty much to the hilt (at almost every price point).

Mirrorless APS-C camera - $1,100 - Something along the lines of the Sony A6000 with better lenses and a viewfinder. Slap the bodycap 40mm XS on it and you have a Ricoh GR with flexibility and a viewfinder.
Highly doubt they'll do anything bigger than the Q in the mirrorless realm, seeing as the K-01 really didn't do as well as they expected/hoped.

FF Lenses - I suspect Pentax will be releasing a slew of new FF lenses in the next year. Tons of primes especially. Maybe dusting off some legendary old glass with new nanocoatings and better, quieter AF motors. Some new lenses that are not as expensive as the FF options with revised SDM for APS-C would be nice too (ie a replacement for the awesome DA* 50-135 especially since you can't get the Sigma 50-150 anymore).
Truthfully, who knows (except Pentax)? Maybe, but we won't know untill they release 'em.

Questions:
Will Sigma ever return to making K mount lenses again?
Catch 22: They won't make anymore until people buy 'em, but people won't buy 'em because there's nothing (New/currently released) to buy.

Is the Pentax Q series dead? Upgrades coming? Something new in this lineup?
Who knows.

Will Pentax ever embrace the vintage history of the K1000 and retro styling that has made Fuji and Olympus popular?
Not likely.

What could Ricoh do to create a wow factor in the market to end run Canikon? I think the Theta is one example of finding these niches and capitalizing on future trends.
More FF lenses!!! Other than that, who knows. Pentax has always added some interesting things in their DSLR's that Canikon likely won't do/even bother with.

What do you want to see from Ricoh in the next year or two?
More FF lenses.

08-17-2016, 08:07 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, some absolutely unadulterated pure speculation from me - since I know nothing about Ricoh's inter-workings.... Ricoh has split their camera offerings with Ricoh doing fixed lens bodies, while Pentax supports the inter-changable lens dSLR bodies. Two different customer bases to serve, with out a lot of overlap - but potentially some customers using both.
  • You are all forgetting about Ricoh's GR line. They are essentially mirrorless fixed lens cameras. So, using the dSLR R&D and applying it to the GR line, how about a Full Frame GR for $1,800 with either a 31 or 43mm lens? Then extending that idea, a GR with a 645 sensor with a lens in the 40 to 60mm f2.8 range, for $7,000. What would Hasselblad think about them apples? In this way they could ramp up their volume of sensors, while reducing their overall cost structure (across both the Ricoh and Pentax brands), with out cannibalizing their Pentax dSLR sales. They would also potentially attract a new set of users - thereby expanding their overall user base. This would essentially be a low cost, low risk, market expanding move - which would maintain their low volume, high margin business model.
  • The Ricoh line would also be a logical place to test/try out a EVF technology approach. Possibly a new line of fixed lens cameras. Again, a fairly low cost, low risk approach to the market, that potentially has a potential to expand their market share in a controlled fashion.
  • Why bring out a new 645 body? They need to expand their 645 lens offerings first. They can watch how Hasselblad fairs with their new body. Pentax has effectively forced Hasselblad to greatly reduce their product pricing to Pentax's level - something that Hasselblad has not done in the past. The big question is - can Hasselblad adapt to the new product pricing and profit margin of trying to compete with Pentax on price? Ricoh/Pentax needs to watch to see how they perform, especially in the customer service (professional and repair) areas. Pentax also needs to evaluate if some 645 customers are moving to the K1.
  • The K1 was just introduced - they need lenses now. Also, they need lenses that do not suffer from optical problems. The reviewers have been beating them up over lack of lenses, and one hit the wide open performance of the new Pentax design lenses.
  • Pentax came out rather fast with the K70 on the heels of the K1 delivery. I am thinking that the K3II replacement should be available and ready. Whatever it is called, it should be a K1 with a cropped sensor. It will not be a sports camera - for that Pentax needs a fast AF system nearly equaling both Canon and Nikon. They are still playing catch up there.

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-17-2016 at 08:16 PM.
08-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like your Ricoh brand ideas.
08-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #34

Regarding the "super APS-C" idea and appealing to sports shooters, I'm using a K-50 to shoot sports now. At 6 fps, with shake reduction and weather-sealing, it's pretty good for the price, especially the absurdly low $300 for the body just before it was discontinued.
It's the autofocus that needs improvement to shoot sports. Pentax just can't compete with the SONY A6000 autofocus system, with 179 autofocus points. They sold a ton of A6000s just on specs alone.
But after shooting with both the K-50 and the A6000, I concluded that Pentax is sooooo much better than the SONY because of weather sealing, bright optical viewfinder, better ergonomics, and simpler menu system. I prefer the lens selection with the Pentax too.
I felt like I was always fighting the SONY, while the K-50 was like a part of my hand. I'm convinced a K-3 III with a faster AF system, more AF points, a flip-out screen and the same 8 fps as it has now will sell to sports shooters.

08-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #35
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mirrorless APS-C camera - $1,100 - Something along the lines of the Sony A6000 with better lenses and a viewfinder. Slap the bodycap 40mm XS on it and you have a Ricoh GR with flexibility and a viewfinder.
And you can't pocket it anymore...no more GR.

It's all good that Ricoh sorts out the hardware but it would be better to sort out a more professional service.

Last edited by Zav; 08-17-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added a bit
08-18-2016, 01:02 AM   #36
ogl
Pentaxian

The main rumors are no any rumors
08-18-2016, 01:11 AM   #37
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i hope on a new q.

it is mirrorless, less weight and a lot

more oportunities than the THETA toy.

more kitlenses voor the Pentax camera's
08-18-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way, you can't take 4K video away from the K-1 to "cut costs" since it doesn't have 4K video in the first place.

08-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #39
JPT
Pentaxian

If the Q series really is being phased out, it would put Ricoh in the strange position of having no small mainstream cameras at all. They have Theta, GR and WG, but they are all very specific in their appeal, and certainly not what I'd call versatile.

So in my opinion, one of the following will probably happen.
- A new Q camera will be released after all.
- Ricoh will launch some new compact cameras as alternatives to the Q.
- Ricoh will release a whole new mirrorless system.

Personally, I think that a new advanced zoom compact along the lines of the GR, probably using 1" sensor, is the most likely of the above. It's in line with what other manufacturers are doing, but more importantly in line with Ricoh's own heritage. I don't think they'll push the boundaries with sensor size in small cameras, unless they can somehow make a full frame GR without increasing the size too much.
08-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #40
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If the Q series really is being phased out, it would put Ricoh in the strange position of having no small mainstream cameras at all. They have Theta, GR and WG, but they are all very specific in their appeal, and certainly not what I'd call versatile.

So in my opinion, one of the following will probably happen.
- A new Q camera will be released after all.
- Ricoh will launch some new compact cameras as alternatives to the Q.
- Ricoh will release a whole new mirrorless system.

Personally, I think that a new advanced zoom compact along the lines of the GR, probably using 1" sensor, is the most likely of the above. It's in line with what other manufacturers are doing, but more importantly in line with Ricoh's own heritage. I don't think they'll push the boundaries with sensor size in small cameras, unless they can somehow make a full frame GR without increasing the size too much.
I see two possible markets that the "Q" might be successful in today:

(1) pocketable: My Q-7 replaced, amongst other things, a Canon Elph. I carry my Q-7 around with me regularly, but whenever I suggest that to others, they complain about its size. I am convinced that in order to compete in this market, the "Q" would need a replacement for the 02 lens, but the replacement would have to be collapsible down to something close to the size of the 01. I used my Elph almost everywhere, but I have troubles outside with the Q-7. Even the Elph had a viewfinder of sorts; it was a tiny viewfinder that I had trouble using as my eyes became older, but it was a viewfinder, so in order to compete in this market, the "Q" would need an EVF also.

(2) wildlife: Before I got my Q-7, I was impressed by the results people were getting with the Canon SX-50. Part of my logic in getting the Q-7 was that I could do something similar with a Q-7 + adapted lenses I already had, because the Q-7's sensor is larger than the SX-50's sensor, giving the possibility of yielding better results, but it is still small enough to give serious "magnification". Actually accomplishing this was more work than I had expected, and I ended up buying a Sigma 70-300mm lens that is used with my Q-7 only, but I believe I have established this as a reasonable approach. The Nikon P-900 has shown this market is still there, but most people would not be willing to haul around all the extra stuff I bring - mainly a large K-mount lens, an adapter, and a Hoodman. In order to compete in this market, the "Q" would need a long native Q-mount lens {modification of the new 55-300 PLM lens seems a natural}, and of course, an EVF.
08-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You are all forgetting about Ricoh's GR line. They are essentially mirrorless fixed lens cameras. So, using the dSLR R&D and applying it to the GR line, how about a Full Frame GR for $1,800 with either a 31 or 43mm lens? Then extending that idea, a GR with a 645 sensor with a lens in the 40 to 60mm f2.8 range, for $7,000. What would Hasselblad think about them apples? In this way they could ramp up their volume of sensors, while reducing their overall cost structure (across both the Ricoh and Pentax brands), with out cannibalizing their Pentax dSLR sales. They would also potentially attract a new set of users - thereby expanding their overall user base. This would essentially be a low cost, low risk, market expanding move - which would maintain their low volume, high margin business model.
While the idea is good, I'm not sure it would work in praktise. Making a full frame GR with 31mm lens would cost more then 1800 dollar. The number of sold camera's is very low. R&D has to be recoverd from those low numbers of sales. The market isn't enormous. Currently there are a few fixed focal lengths compact camera's in the market (sigma makes them, GR, Sony rx1, fuji x100t and Leica has some). Sharing r&d by making 3 different models, aps-c, full frame and 645 does make sense. They could share a lot of the internal parts that run the camera, but have a different size sensor. I'm not sure if it makes money or that it would end up just bleeding money.
08-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Interesting thoughts shared and I am glad to see it created some conversation.

While Nikon might not be a good example or model of success (they have been hemorrhaging money afterall), they are able to make a 4 tier system of FF cameras work rather successfully. So why is it absurd to consider the possibility of a lower end K-1 or something above it? Nikon currently has a D610, D750, D810 and D5. The K-1 has been compared to the D810 in that lineup. to me there seems to be a lot of bells and whistles in the K-1 that many will never need, use or want making it possible to add another camera in the lineup with minimal cost to create it.

I hear the comment a lot on here "well then why don't you just go buy Canikon"...because I have been using Pentax for years now, like the interface, love the lenses (when SDM is not failing), and like many of the features. Why is it crazy to want a camera on par with other brands but with the pluses of Pentax?

Of course the one thing that is particularly lacking in Pentax IMO is a quality repair service in the USA. As SDM has failed in 2 of my DA* lenses now and has me nervous about the third, and with limited options in 3rd party lenses currently to replace them, it leaves with few options other than sending to Japan for repair. It does provide hesitation in investing $1800 into a FF camera as well as $1200-2000 per lens.
08-18-2016, 06:37 AM - 4 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

Of course the one thing that is particularly lacking in Pentax IMO is a quality repair service in the USA. As SDM has failed in 2 of my DA* lenses now and has me nervous about the third, and with limited options in 3rd party lenses currently to replace them, it leaves with few options other than sending to Japan for repair. It does provide hesitation in investing $1800 into a FF camera as well as $1200-2000 per lens.
The easy fix to this is to restoring trust. Ricoh-Imaging should give 5 year warranty on lenses. Take responsibility on their products.
08-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I'd rather see them finally replacing problematic products with more reliable ones. That's long overdue, IMO...
08-18-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Kenspo, you are awaited, here