Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #556
Veteran Member

I'm not sure currency exchange rates are what is driving the current swings. Talking to the guys at my local brick and mortar store and their pricing is locked in for the year. They just started carrying the Sony FE line and they have a contract to by a predetermined volume from Sony and have set pricing for the term of that contract.

If prices are rising it is probably due to high demand and limited supply. Retailers can sell for more than the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). If you look at the Sony A7II on Amazon US it says "Ships in 1-2 months". This is a 2 year old camera with a 4 year old sensor and Sony is still having issues keeping production of sensors at a high enough volume to meet demand. The price of the A7II has risen back up to what it was 2 years ago at its release. This has more to do with supply and demand than exchange rates and inflation. The Bank of Japan has a 2% inflation target and yet they have had 5 straight quarters of deflation (-.4%) as prices are falling.

09-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #557
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If prices are rising it is probably due to high demand and limited supply.
Since it is not the demand that cause the trouble (camera sales are low), it probably is supply. Low production because of still interrupted supply of parts (sensor and what not). Not only Sony. Nikon hasn't run any cash back for months now on any products.
09-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #558
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
UK prices are almost certainly going to go up because the £ has fallen so greatly that importing goods into the UK is proportionately a lot more expensive than it was about three months ago. Importers can absorb those costs for a while if they are able but prices on most things in the UK that are imported are likely to rise simply because of that. Before you start talking about any pricing policy coming out of Ricoh in Japan.

---------- Post added 09-16-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure currency exchange rates are what is driving the current swings. Talking to the guys at my local brick and mortar store and their pricing is locked in for the year. They just started carrying the Sony FE line and they have a contract to by a predetermined volume from Sony and have set pricing for the term of that contract.

If prices are rising it is probably due to high demand and limited supply. Retailers can sell for more than the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). If you look at the Sony A7II on Amazon US it says "Ships in 1-2 months". This is a 2 year old camera with a 4 year old sensor and Sony is still having issues keeping production of sensors at a high enough volume to meet demand. The price of the A7II has risen back up to what it was 2 years ago at its release. This has more to do with supply and demand than exchange rates and inflation. The Bank of Japan has a 2% inflation target and yet they have had 5 straight quarters of deflation (-.4%) as prices are falling.
The UK doesn't have Minimum Advertised Pricing to the best of my knowledge. I think it might even be illegal.
09-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #559
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just a little visualisation... and warning that things could get worse...

...partly an issue for the Japanese government as well, which has repeatedly tried to weaken Yen to support economy but it keeps climbing up

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
UK prices are almost certainly going to go up because the £ has fallen so greatly that importing goods into the UK is proportionately a lot more expensive than it was about three months ago. Importers can absorb those costs for a while if they are able but prices on most things in the UK that are imported are likely to rise simply because of that. Before you start talking about any pricing policy coming out of Ricoh in Japan.

---------- Post added 09-16-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

The UK doesn't have Minimum Advertised Pricing to the best of my knowledge. I think it might even be illegal.

Attached Images

09-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Argh! Happened overnight. K-1 is now £1799 from most retailers!
what's weird is srs are selling the 70-200 for £200 less, and the other lenses haven't changed (yet?)
09-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #561
Pentaxian

Tomorrow is announcementday but nothing for Pentax. Not even vintage mirrorless

http://www.photokina.com/redaktionell/photokina/downloads_32/pdf_37/Press/Press-dates.pdf

Panasonic, Canon (in German so nothing major). Sony, Nikon an Fuji. Will hold a press conference (no Olympus either).
09-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Tomorrow is announcement day but nothing for Pentax. Not even vintage mirrorless

http://www.photokina.com/redaktionell/photokina/downloads_32/pdf_37/Press/Press-dates.pdf

Panasonic, Canon (in German so nothing major). Sony, Nikon an Fuji. Will hold a press conference (no Olympus either).
Olympus press conference is scheduled tomorrow at 6:30pm CEST / 12:30pm EDT.

Live Stream | Olympus

They will announce OM-D E-M1 II, some accessories to go with it (power battery holder, waterproof protector, remote cable, premium camera back and twin flash set), PEN E-PL8, 12-100mm f/4, 25mm f/1.2, 30mm macro 1.25:1 and FL-900 R flash.

09-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #563
Pentaxian

They must be staging it elsewhere in Cologne then. Looking at Ricoh's German site (Ricoh Germany is stand holder) Photokina is going to be about the Theta mainly: Startseite - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH
09-18-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #564
Veteran Member

K-1 :-) Firmware 1.30 coming up next minutes/hour. Now next hours.
Best regards

Last edited by asahi man; 09-18-2016 at 02:56 PM.
09-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Firmware 1.30 coming up next minutes/hour.
Best regards
For what camera? Sorry im to lazy to look up firmware updates.

---------- Post added 09-18-16 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
For what camera? Sorry im to lazy to look up firmware updates.
Maybe support for new lenses?
09-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #566
Pentaxian

Probably the k-1. The white dot issue i think. Hopefully also af and video improvements.
09-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Probably the k-1. The white dot issue i think. Hopefully also af and video improvements.
I think this is more likely. Big news for Pentax at photokina " no more white dots for the K-1"

Improved autofocus would be very welcome I suspect. But I wouldnt bet on it.
09-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #568
Veteran Member

Nope,new functions and settings.
But,it's pushed back.
I think till tomorrow.
Looks like to early linking,cause still empty.
Best regards

And now on facebook,but still empty.
09-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #569
Pentaxian

Now they have to send everyone a new manual and the white dot issue is in the "improved stability for general performance"
09-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #570
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, new firmware! Let's hope for af improvements, I personally don't have any white dots issues, but I'm following few threads with people that have (was part of my research before I bought k-1)