Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 168 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #301
Pentaxian

But of course they won't imply anything. They will announce when they decided to, and not a day before*.

* except for press releases leaking out few days in advance.

08-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What would the next mid-level Pentax DSLR look like.

Price wise there is a fairly large gap between the Pentax K-3 II and the K-1 and it seems logical to fill that gap with a well spec'd camera. I guess the question is what would be the better option; an updated APC replacement for the K-3 II or an even cheaper Full Frame Camera. I dont think we will see either at photokina but possible early in the new year. So what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine. And priced at 1300 usd what would it look like.
08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #303
Inactive Account

Other kind of rumor : my reseller tell me these afternoon that Pentax prices will take 10-15% september the first in France/europe. He's waiting tomorrow for knowing exactly what's going on.
08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
What would the next mid-level Pentax DSLR look like.
Price wise there is a fairly large gap between the Pentax K-3 II and the K-1 and it seems logical to fill that gap with a well spec'd camera. I guess the question is what would be the better option; an updated APC replacement for the K-3 II or an even cheaper Full Frame Camera. I dont think we will see either at photokina but possible early in the new year. So what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine. And priced at 1300 usd what would it look like.
Ricoh needs a new flagship APS-C camera. The K-3-series is about 3 years old. The K-3II looks out-of-date compared to the K-70, and also compared to features in the K-1 that are not to do with FF but would work on APS-C too. (Some sort of moving LCD; SAFOX 12, etc).

Ricoh doesn't need a cheaper FF camera. The K-1 is already incredible value for money. People who are not willing to pay for the K-1 are not very likely to spend much money on new Pentax lenses either, so are probably not good customers for Ricoh.

Apart from that, Ricoh needs new lenses. Lots of them! Mainly FF lenses, (which will obviously also work on APS-C cameras), but perhaps a few APS-C-only lenses too.

08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is it just my imagination (read lack of attention to PF) or has the flurry of patent applications from Ricoh slowed down again?
08-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #306
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
Other kind of rumor : my reseller tell me these afternoon that Pentax prices will take 10-15% September the first in France/Europe. He's waiting tomorrow for knowing exactly what's going on.
I think you forgot to include a direction.
10-15% Up or Down??
08-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #307
Inactive Account

up, sorry

08-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think you forgot to include a direction.
10-15% Up or Down??
If it is up, and reflected into final price, that a huge issue: Pentax is already not so well placed compared to the competition in France. Increasing prices would make the whole line up ininteresting: K1 same price as D810, K70 as expensive as D7200, K3-II prices at D610/A7 levels.

If you can get for the same price a D7200 with pro f/2.8 Nikon lens as K70 + 16-85, where the point?
08-31-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #309
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Everybody is raising prices. Not just Pentax. I was already expecting this. The Yen has become more expensive compared to Euro and Dollar.
08-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #310

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Ricoh needs a new flagship APS-C camera. The K-3-series is about 3 years old. The K-3II looks out-of-date compared to the K-70, and also compared to features in the K-1 that are not to do with FF but would work on APS-C too. (Some sort of moving LCD; SAFOX 12, etc).

Ricoh doesn't need a cheaper FF camera. The K-1 is already incredible value for money. People who are not willing to pay for the K-1 are not very likely to spend much money on new Pentax lenses either, so are probably not good customers for Ricoh.

Apart from that, Ricoh needs new lenses. Lots of them! Mainly FF lenses, (which will obviously also work on APS-C cameras), but perhaps a few APS-C-only lenses too.
What if Ricoh would take some of the old FA primes and release them as HD D-FA variants? Same optical design, new coating and new packaging.
08-31-2016, 12:15 PM   #311
Pentaxian

They would get old optics with new barrels, at a cost not much different than making an entirely new lens. It's not an option (except perhaps in a few special cases)
08-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #312
Pentaxian

up, sorry
It should only be +100€ for K-1 and +50€ for K-3II, about 5% increase "due to change rates evolutions" since last year.
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #313
Banned

Photos: Gallery
up, sorry
Not the first Brand to do so.

My prediction to this. The market for camera's will decrease with the same 10-15 %, since we buy less camera's. It's a circle that is spinning down.
08-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
what do people want an awesome aps-c machine or a lower spec full frame machine.
Seems there are people who want either (look at Nikon D500 and D600). However, I'm not sure what Pentax can put in their kick-ass APSC; action does not seem to be their strengh, and on other areas their flagships have always been close to top. A cheap FF is possible, but may hurt K-1 so my guess is they continue what they've been doing: Introduce a better FF and drop K-1's price. This will not happen this year though. For this year, if any, it shall be K-3 iii or whatever they call it.
08-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #315
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Seems there are people who want either (look at Nikon D500 and D600). However, I'm not sure what Pentax can put in their kick-ass APSC; action does not seem to be their strengh, and on other areas their flagships have always been close to top. A cheap FF is possible, but may hurt K-1 so my guess is they continue what they've been doing: Introduce a better FF and drop K-1's price. This will not happen this year though. For this year, if any, it shall be K-3 iii or whatever they call it.
I believe FF will be Pentax's answer to landscape / portrait photography, so the APS-C line needs a reason to exist. Thinking of the "reach" / "magnification" and burst advantages APS-C naturally has over FF, the natural call would be to push APS-C towards wildlife, sports, and events. In order for that to happen, they need to improve low-light performance and AF. The K-70 may be a first tentative step in that direction.